• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

2 minutes ago, Wow said:

It was about to do this on the 12z run as well.  The lagging southern wave is given enough separation to develop.  Interesting but unsupported as of now.

That would be best case scenario, for more people to see snow!? The first disturbance could bring in colder air, then this comes up?

24 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

12z JMA is a big dog! This is the best look possible, IMO. I hope it's on to something. Hard to tell with the crummy maps, but it looks like this is drop 1"plus of liquid across my area with supportive temps for snow.

jma_z500_vort_us_4.png

Not all of that is frozen. Alot of that falls as rain. But to continue the Jma. H5 slightly negative. 

Screenshot_20171205-162317.png

Screenshot_20171205-162355.png

Screenshot_20171205-162415.png

4 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

That inland moisture push is moving the cold air back a lot

GFS is very warm at the surface, 38-42 which is why the output is showing mostly rain. Soundings support snow from Raleigh and points west IF the boundary layer cools like the NAM/Euro/CMC indicate.

I am noticing a ton of new folks in our forum this year. Would like to welcome everyone who considers this a wonderful hobby. I would like to make a few pointers, as I see some of the questions coming up. In regards to model times, the NAM and the GFS run 4 times per day. The NAM runs around the timeframes of 0400,1030,1600 and 2200 hours (06z,12z,18z and 00z). The GFS runs around 0530,1130,1730 and 2330 hours. The Euro runs two times per day, at approximately 0230 and 1430 (00z and 12z).

The one word of caution I would give to the newbies is that a. The nam tends to over amplify storms and in my opinion, is a great tool to use for 2m temps, along with thermals and such (sniffes out low level temps for freezing rain events). The SREF, which is a Nam hybrid or to my understanding derives from the same Nam type setup (a met can explain this better) also has its tendencies to give you a precursor a lot of the times as to how the Nam run will play out before the Nam actually comes out. It too also has the tendency to over amplify. The SREF usually comes out around 2030-2100 hours.

I would be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability. I love when new folks come in and are interested in our hobby we all share on here. I am not a moderator or met by any means, but I enjoy the weather very much so, especially winter time. 

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Most of the ensemble members on the GFS are more bullsh with the westward extent of the precip shield compared to the OP. Maybe the JMA is on to something!

If the JMA is right my neighbor Cold Rain and I will be watching a cold rain. That's not a good track for central NC. Too close to the coast. :maprain:

• Like 2