• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

12 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Brad P giving a whopping 10% chance of wintry weather, basically the whole western Piedmont of NC and upstate SC! Says a few flakes may mix in with the rain! :(

He's been burned a few times in the past couple years. I would be ultra cautious until Thursday. Most Charlotte mets are doing the same.

4 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Wonder what he is seeing that would go against the NWS? He must be hugging the GFS's warm surface temps.

Not sure, but he posted it on FB about 30 minutes ago. Meanwhile, the frontal band is finally here that will kick off our pattern change!! I'm looking forward to my flurries 

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Ryan added vort maps for the Euro...will be helpful tracking our rain events this winter.

You can definitely see how this can get more amped the next couple of days....and you can see how this could be a weak miss.

ecmwf_vort_500_noram_78.png

It's a very small window for the southern energy lagging back over Texas to hold its own to later enhance precip over our area on Saturday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

At 42, NAM is hanging the southern shortwave back over New Mexico a bit, more like the globals...think that will limit this from being super amped up and well west....we'll see

I noticed that as well. I wonder if the models are going to do there typical hold the s/w back too long in the Southwest and the end result may end up being more west. Guess we will see. I know the Euro is terrible with this, however idk how the nam does we these setups. 

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Grit, looks like you’re right man. At 54 much flatter and the qpf is cut in half for the southeast. Did not expect this honestly from the nam. 

No it's just delayed.. it's putting more stock in the s/w back in TX.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Grit, looks like you’re right man. At 54 much flatter and the qpf is cut in half for the southeast. Did not expect this honestly from the nam. 

It looks more positive tilt at the base of the trough.  The 12z UKMet was like this, so that was a red flag, but these are wobbles, so it's hard to say...but the DWD Icon and UKMet didn't have as much push inland with the precip.  I wouldn't sweat it too much really.  Some of the other globals are diving more northern stream energy into the trough to sharpen it more...need to see the other 00z's.

NAM is going to run a southern s/w low from the GOM. It's seperated and pulling in the precip shield.  IF this is true, it would be more of a Saturday event with a singular low travelling up the coast than a zipper low on Friday.  This is better for more W areas given the lack of HP.

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Man, imagine you live somewhere like Rockport, TX. It got wiped off the map, practically, and this run almost brings snow to the Texas shore.

No kidding! I was looking at the snow all the way into Mexico and along the Gulf coast in Louisiana, Alabama, and parts of the Panhandle.  Shoot even New Orleans kind of got in on that run. Pretty crazy how the trough is oriented then the moisture comes in deep. 

3 minutes ago, Wow said:

Still a big question with the progression of the s/w in the southern jet and it's interaction with the polar jet as to how it plays out with the LP and precip.  Need a few more runs.  It's tricky.

Shouldn't they be on land by tonight or tomorrow, for sampling!? More accurate runs then?