• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

Just a reminder, when forecasting snowfall amounts in the SE, it's best to use this simple formula:

[(total snowfall from the model with the warmest mid-levels + total snowfall from the model with the warmest boundary layer / 2) + 0.25 (average of all model snow depth)] / 4 - (X" + Y") = Total accumulated snow depth*

X sun angle reducer:  December = 0, January = 1, February = 2, March = 3

Y warm ground temp reducer:  Ground temp < 35 = 0, Ground temp 35 - 40 = 1, Ground temp 40 - 45 = 2, Ground temp 45 - 50 = 3, Ground temp > 50 = Go do something else

*A negative number = 0"

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

The trend nobody wanted, is happening! :( Warmer sucks! But I need the rain, so I like warmer and more precip!!

i think you need to ease back on the sarcasm and everything a little. 

This run of the euro was a good step in the right direction for many...it has quite a bit more precipitation further inland than the prior run and temps aloft look similar to me. Euro is plenty cold aloft for northern half of georgia, sc/western nc. 

• Like 6

IMO, this is going to continue to tick more amped with more precip inland.  I'm just basing it on how it's trending with the wave/trough and sfc low positioning, and how these tend to work with the modeling.  I think we would have seen it back off with the 12z runs if we were moving to a weaker solution.  Looks good to me in the mtns.  East of there it will take some heavy temperature analysis to determine locales with snow.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, griteater said:

IMO, this is going to continue to tick more amped with more precip inland.  I'm just basing it on how it's trending with the wave/trough and sfc low positioning, and how these tend to work with the modeling.  I think we would have seen it back off with the 12z runs if we were moving to a weaker solution.  Looks good to me in the mtns.  East of there it will take some heavy temperature analysis to determine locales with snow.

As you said before, this is a tough forecast. We could easily just get a lot of cold rain, or somebody could cash out with heavy rates (..like SC November snow). really not sure what to think at this point.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, griteater said:

Euro looks like a light snow event for the mtns and foothills..into far NE GA...storm is slow to depart...some snow mixed in east of there probably

Everything seems to hedge on if there is enough precip to overcome the warm surface layer.  Here is the 12z euro valid 12z friday. note the heavy amounts and the much colder temps along that stripe across central ga/sc. 

ecmwf_t2m_se_72.png

ecmwf_6h_precip_se_72.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, griteater said:

I agree with you.  I don't think precip will be much of a problem, when it's all said and done.  Will there be a warm layer?  We don't know yet.  Will the system arrive at such a time as to have given CAA enough of a head-start?  We don't know yet.  Will the bulk of the precip fall at night?  It looks like it now, but that could change.  How heavy will the precip be?  We don't know yet, although, it will likely be heavy enough for effective dynamic cooling at some locales.  Where?  We don't know yet, although my best guess for an inch or three of snow (assuming all of these factors line up as favorably as possible) is a line from maybe Roanoke Rapids, to roughly Charlotte though the Upstate and Northern GA and west of there.  Still lots of questions to be answered yet.  This will likely be a very marginal situation, pretty much across the board, and very much rate driven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

What are you talking about??? Please read more and post less. 

Perhaps if there's something you don't understand about my post, feel free to ask a question or simply don't reply at all.  "Read more and post less" directives are just arrogant and rude.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Perhaps if there's something you don't understand about my post, feel free to ask a question or simply don't reply at all.  "Read more and post less" directives are just arrogant and rude.  Thanks. 

Yeah, I didn't see anything wrong with what you posted.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Everything seems to hedge on if there is enough precip to overcome the warm surface layer.  Here is the 12z euro valid 12z friday. note the heavy amounts and the much colder temps along that stripe across central ga/sc. 

In cases like this where the only warm layer is right at the surface, this is what I've used/observed in the past...

If surface wet-bulb temperature is...

32: Snow

33-34: Snow or Rain/Snow Mix

35: Rain/Snow mix

36-37: Rain or Rain/Snow mix

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

Many more shifts like this 12z  euro run vs the 0z run and this event will be quite s bit different than currently advertised. 

ecmwf_6h_precip_se_84.png

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah, I didn't see anything wrong with what you posted.

I agree...i didn't see anything wrong with it either....so let's end it here. 

• Like 1

WPC Model Discussion...

PREFERENCE: 12Z ECMWF/UKMET/CMC

BLEND CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE FIRST SHORTWAVE WEAKENING SOUTHEASTWARD FROM CA/AZ SHOWS GOOD AGREEMENT IN THE MODEL GUIDANCE BUT THERE ARE DIFFERENCES TO TALK ABOUT REGARDING A SHORTWAVE AMPLIFYING SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE CNTRL ROCKIES WED/WED NIGHT. MODEL AND DETERMINISTIC TRENDS HAVE BEEN TOWARD THE WEST/MORE AMPLIFIED WITH THE SHORTWAVE VALID THU EVENING.

THE 12Z GFS IS THE WEAKEST AND MOST PROGRESSIVE WITH THE POSITIVELY TILTED TROUGH AXIS STRETCHING FROM THE MS VALLEY INTO NRN MEXICO FRI MORNING. GIVEN THE ENSEMBLE TRENDS TOWARD A SLOWER/DEEPER TROUGH AXIS...AWAY FROM THE 12Z GFS AND 00/06/12Z GEFS...DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THE FASTER EDGE OF THE MODELS. THE 12Z UKMET REPRESENTS THE MOST AMPLIFIED SIDE OF THE LATEST DETERMINISTIC MODEL SPREAD BUT IT HAS WEAKENED SOME FROM ITS 00Z CYCLE. FOR FRIDAY...THE 12Z ECMWF TRENDED SLIGHTLY WEST WITH THE NRN PORTION OF THE TROUGH AXIS AND FASTER/EAST WITH THE SRN PORTION OVER SOUTH TEXAS. THE PREVIOUSLY PREFERRED 00Z ECMWF MEAN IS CURRENTLY NEAR A BLEND OF THE 12Z ECMWF/UKMET/CMC. WHICH IS BETWEEN THE PREVIOUSLY MORE AGGRESSIVE DIGGING SEEN IN THE 00Z UKMET/ECMWF AND FLATTER/MORE PROGRESSIVE 12Z NAM/GFS.

34 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

If we learned anything from January this year, warm noses are not easy to "scour out". I'd be very skeptical of models showing heavy snow through dynamic cooling.

The is no warm nose.  Issue is marginal BL temps.  The lowest 1500 feet or so.  Above that all the data if seen supports snow.  It's either gonna rain or snow.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

If we learned anything from January this year, warm noses are not easy to "scour out". I'd be very skeptical of models showing heavy snow through dynamic cooling.

Different set up. That event featured a strong low pressure and generally amped set up. This event has a much weaker low, with less warm air advection that could strengthen a warm nose. Temps at low levels are the problem, and that's one of the *few* things that could be modeled completely wrong given the modeled precipitation rates. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southernskimmer said:

There was no warm nose on the modeling last year either

There was on the NAM but people discounted it because it was the NAM. Typically around here the model with the most aggressive warm nose oftentimes ends up being close to reality, though not always. The NAM has a similar temp profile to the Euro with the warm nose getting as far inland as Rocky Mount to RDU. This seems to be the consensus for now but will change as models figure out the dynamics and timing of everything. The warm nose modeled on the Euro and NAM seems to be in the 750-850mb layer.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I agree with you.  I don't think precip will be much of a problem, when it's all said and done.  Will there be a warm layer?  We don't know yet.  Will the system arrive at such a time as to have given CAA enough of a head-start?  We don't know yet.  Will the bulk of the precip fall at night?  It looks like it now, but that could change.  How heavy will the precip be?  We don't know yet, although, it will likely be heavy enough for effective dynamic cooling at some locales.  Where?  We don't know yet, although my best guess for an inch or three of snow (assuming all of these factors line up as favorably as possible) is a line from maybe Roanoke Rapids, to roughly Charlotte though the Upstate and Northern GA and west of there.  Still lots of questions to be answered yet.  This will likely be a very marginal situation, pretty much across the board, and very much rate driven.

Whatever trend doesn't give us snow...we can miss them in any which direction.    The good news I do think someone gets snow Friday/Saturday...my money would be in the GSP to foothills to Roanoke area.

GEPS with the NW trend...where it stops nobody know.

7HPlH39.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

If I remember correctly, last year before our January event the GFS sniffed out our warm nose 24-48 hours in advance. It showed it on the SC GA border sneaking up into the southern part of upstate SC. 

Edit: it could have been the NAM I don't remember 

It was definitely the NAM, the GFS was one of the colder solutions from what I recall. When the NAM is colder than the GFS it always gets my interest... surface temps will be marginal 32-34 but cold enough IMO. The key is where the 750-850mb warm nose sets up. Right now the NAM sets that up along the I-95 corridor or just to the west of it favoring RDU to CLT and points west. That seems quite reasonable given climo as well.

34 minutes ago, griteater said:

In cases like this where the only warm layer is right at the surface, this is what I've used/observed in the past...

If surface wet-bulb temperature is...

32: Snow

33-34: Snow or Rain/Snow Mix

35: Rain/Snow mix

36-37: Rain or Rain/Snow mix

I've been wondering how 11/19/2000 works out as an analog to this. I need to look into it. 

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCLT/2000/11/19/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

accum.20001119.gif

GSP Discussion...

In response to encroaching positive tilt l/wv trough and developing upper jet dynamics, pcpn shield is progged to expand and develop back northward into the cwfa Thursday night. 05/12z SuperBlend and WPC guidance limits the increase to just chance pops thru the piedmont by daybreak Friday. Deeper forcing should increase into Friday with favorable upper jet positioning. Based on this, have increased precip chances to mid-chance with the best response slated to be atop the piedmont. Critical 85-70h thickness values should hover along the southeast fringe of the cwfa through Friday...a rough estimate of the rain/snow line for the bulk of the event. However, warm blyr temperatures makes it questionable on just how much snow would accumulate SE of I-85 where the liquid equiv QPF is the greatest. At this point, best combination of QPF and favorable temperatures looks to be North and NW of CLT where if any heavier bands are able to form would produce an inch of snow accumulation.

• Like 1