Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluewave said:
The 6.8" of snow in Anchorage yesterday was very fluffy. The snow:liquid ratio of 37.8:1 was the second highest on record for 6"+ storms. On 2/28/2009, 7.6" of snow melted to 0.20" liquid (38:1). Long-term average is 19:1 for all 6" events. #akwx @AlaskaWx

That's pretty incredible. The driest snowfall I've recorded imby was 2/12/15, when 2.8" of new snow melted down to 0.09" of liquid. Haven't exceeded 15:1 average for 6" or greater storms since I've been keeping track.

20 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

That's pretty incredible. The driest snowfall I've recorded imby was 2/12/15, when 2.8" of new snow melted down to 0.09" of liquid. Haven't exceeded 15:1 average for 6" or greater storms since I've been keeping track.

My favorite overall higher ratio storm was PD2 in 2003. The first part of that storm had 20+:1 ratios when it was the coldest Sunday evening. Would be nice if the atmosphere found a way to produce 20+:1 ratios with a storm like Jan 16 that had 3.00" LE. The cherry on top of the 2010's epic run of snowstorms would be a 50" or greater event.

21 hours ago, psv88 said:

Went to a phish concert in Bangor in the summer of 2013. Downtown area is nice enough I guess. Nice concert venue on the river. Much prefer the coast tho, Mount desert isle, Cadillac mountain, kennebunk, Portland, sebago, those are where it’s at

I was there for a swim meet back in college. I remember it being very forgettable. Even a little run down in a rust belt kind of way. But that’s was a long time ago so maybe it’s changed 

According to the EURO WEEKLIES just out, the first 7-Day Period that averages BN is centered on Feb. 15.   Every 7-Day Period after that, right to the end (centered on Mar. 09) are all BN.   Looks good, if you like to wait for things that long.   Prior to that time frame, we are in the battleground zone and storms could go both ways  R or S.

1 hour ago, CIK62 said:

According to the EURO WEEKLIES just out, the first 7-Day Period that averages BN is centered on Feb. 15.   Every 7-Day Period after that, right to the end (centered on Mar. 09) are all BN.   Looks good, if you like to wait for things that long.   Prior to that time frame, we are in the battleground zone and storms could go both ways  R or S.

And if we go too below normal we have no storms at all so I'll take my chances in the battleground zone

Friendly hint for those of you banned, suspended, whatever. When you join under a sock, dont have your first post, minutes after joining, discussing how "every event" on this forum is the same. We havent had many events in the 13 minutes since you joined, mmkay?

4 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Friendly hint for those of you banned, suspended, whatever. When you join under a sock, dont have your first post, minutes after joining, discussing how "every event" on this forum is the same. We havent had many events in the 13 minutes since you joined, mmkay?

Okay grumpy old man lol

1 hour ago, Cuzin Mike said:

What If your someone who used to come here to learn and understand who now finds it sad how the wishcasting and personal bs has ruined what was once a great place?  Cause I joined a few minutes doesn’t mean I haven’t been reading for a few years.

So instead of contributing, or maybe reporting the post, you decide to fight it out, right there in a model discussion thread...and then decide to complain about the site. Yeah... Fights definitely improve the discourse. 

https://spacecityweather.com/harvey-nhc-recap-houston-weather/

The National Hurricane Center released their post-storm report on Hurricane Harvey yesterday. These things are always interesting to read from a meteorological perspective. This one obviously has added meaning for all of us. You can read the report here. Much of what’s in the report you have already heard from us, but it is worth reading in full, as there are lots of statistics and images. Here are a few key points:

The highest storm total rainfall that can be confirmed is 60.58″, which occurred near Nederland, TX in the Beaumont-Port Arthur area. A 60.54″ report was confirmed in Groves, TX near Port Arthur as well. Both of these totals, along with five others (most in the Friendswood area), establish a new United States record for rainfall associated with a tropical cyclone, breaking the 1950 total of 52″ in Hawaii from Hurricane Hiki.

The previous Lower 48 record was 48″ from Tropical Storm Amelia in Medina, TX back in 1978. Harvey broke that record in at least 18 locations.

Radar estimates of 65-70″ were noted, but cannot be confirmed.

The spatial extent of the heaviest rains from Harvey was “overwhelming” and likely has never been matched in American history.

Harvey was the second costliest tropical cyclone in US history behind only Hurricane Katrina.

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The National Hurricane Center released their post-storm report on Hurricane Harvey yesterday. These things are always interesting to read from a meteorological perspective. This one obviously has added meaning for all of us. You can read the report here. Much of what’s in the report you have already heard from us, but it is worth reading in full, as there are lots of statistics and images. Here are a few key points:

The highest storm total rainfall that can be confirmed is 60.58″, which occurred near Nederland, TX in the Beaumont-Port Arthur area. A 60.54″ report was confirmed in Groves, TX near Port Arthur as well. Both of these totals, along with five others (most in the Friendswood area), establish a new United States record for rainfall associated with a tropical cyclone, breaking the 1950 total of 52″ in Hawaii from Hurricane Hiki.

The previous Lower 48 record was 48″ from Tropical Storm Amelia in Medina, TX back in 1978. Harvey broke that record in at least 18 locations.

The spatial extent of the heaviest rains from Harvey was “overwhelming” and likely has never been matched in American history.

Harvey was the second costliest tropical cyclone in US history behind only Hurricane Katrina.

I think Josh had the lowest recorded pressure at his location during the storm too. 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

That Harvey proved to be the second costliest tropical cyclone on record for the United States is not not surprising except perhaps to Hanover Re. If one recalls, the insurer grabbed headlines by prematurely discounting Harvey's impact even as the storm was ongoing. At the time, Hanover Re proclaimed, "Hurricane Harvey much less damaging than Katrina, Sandy."

Hanover Re turned out to be wildly incorrect. Further, to those familiar with the amount of water involved, the notion that Harvey would not be among the costliest natural disasters on record in the U.S. was far-fetched.

My response back on August 28 was:

Hanover Re might do better to wait. It is extremely unlikely that all the insurable claims from Harvey have been filed (they haven't). Given the area impacted by Harvey, it is not implausible that the total damage will exceed that of Sandy. The potential still exists for it to approach or exceed Katrina's damage, especially if another 10"-20" rain falls across large parts of the affected region.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50179-harvey-main-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4597513

General lesson: Don't leap to conclusions without having the facts (or even a reasonable sample from which to make informed judgments). Hanover Re's error was a completely avoidable one. Its lacking the facts and/or not understanding the ramifications of 40" or more rain in and around a major Metro center led to an unsustainable conclusion. Its discounting Harvey's impact was irresponsible. It is unfortunate that Reuters and the other media outlets that picked up its minimalist account won't follow up to contrast the actual outcome with a terrible premature assessment.

^^^^^^

In any event, it was the costliest single season when you combine the U.S. mainland and Puerto Rico.

NHC Atlantic Ops 6h
The @NOAANCEIclimate in collaboration with NHC has updated the listing of the costliest tropical cyclones to strike the U.S. with a new methodology through the 2017 #hurricane season. For more details see: nhc.noaa.gov/news/UpdatedCo… &ncdc.noaa.gov/billions/overv… pic.twitter.com/rylm3Yd3Qp
View photo ·    

A new Pacific blob this year.

Record heat: Hottest January in more than a century

New Zealand Herald‎ - 2 days ago
The first month of this year is poised to be the warmest month New Zealandhas ever had since records began in 1909. Preliminary data is showing the country's average temperature for the first 23 days of the month was 19.85C - more than 2.72C higher than the current record. Niwa meteorologist Chris Brandolino said if ...

A very impressive marine heatwave is unfolding near the east coast of#Australia, across the Tasman Sea, and in New Zealand coastal waters ... average anomaly is +1.98°C and max anomaly is a gaudy +6.16°C off NZ's West Coast. pic.twitter.com/shDPuEcnn1

DP9UBGRVAAMEvTK.jpg-small.jpg.d9def028edd8f96c83a1346f59008280.jpg

Wow what a boring Jan...aside from the Jan 4 storm, which was mostly south and east of my area, this has been, for the last 10 days or so, just the kind of warm, soupy, wet winter I hate....hopefully this turns around because rainy and 50's I can get all spring.....just when I want it to be sunny and warm. Some predicted a front loaded winter here and while we had some snow and impressive cold, it didn't make up for the latter part of Jan IMHO. Not around here. People here are saying it will turn around. We'll see. 

9 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Wow what a boring Jan...aside from the Jan 4 storm, which was mostly south and east of my area, this has been, for the last 10 days or so, just the kind of warm, soupy, wet winter I hate....hopefully this turns around because rainy and 50's I can get all spring.....just when I want it to be sunny and warm. Some predicted a front loaded winter here and while we had some snow and impressive cold, it didn't make up for the latter part of Jan IMHO. Not around here. People here are saying it will turn around. We'll see. 

Yeah pretty disappointing to me, especially considering how it started...6 of the last 9 days with highs in the 50's.

The cold on the GEPS never gets here on its entire run  (5-day periods)

The cold of GEFS gets here to the coast, but the core wants to skip by to the north, and ditto the EPS.

I hope we don't get disappointed here.   Snow also seems in short supply for the next two weeks, despite any colder temps.

4 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

People say this isn't a torch, but what is it then? These warm periods become longer and more regular with each passing winter it seems.

Data shows it's the most impressive warming period in January following one of the coldest Jan 1-7 periods on record. 

The month should still end BN (barely for some) but the warming after where we started this month was huge. 

Mostly uneventful as well but given our head start, we are still likely to finish at AN snowfall and BN for temps for MET winter. 

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived