Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

So far it's quickly becoming a forgettable winter and if it doesn't produce this month, then it'll be more or less a soft dud. The only thing memorable was that 2 week cold spell. 

For me, the lack of significant storms is making it dull.  My highest total from one system is 4.5", which 2016 and even last year surpassed by a large margin.  I hope this month produces.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that I'd call it a dud just yet. Early snow, lots of serious cold and a long lasting snowcover then a significant number of very warm January days. Sure it hasn't had the hardcore snows that we've become accustomed to over the last ~18 years but it has had some real winter to contend with.

@Dan76 On LI a few miles has made a big difference in the weather for as long as I can remember. Granted I'm aging and don't remember things like I used to but... :) 

17 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I don't know that I'd call it a dud just yet. Early snow, lots of serious cold and a long lasting snowcover then a significant number of very warm January days. Sure it hasn't had the hardcore snows that we've become accustomed to over the last ~18 years but it has had some real winter to contend with.

@Dan76 On LI a few miles has made a big difference in the weather for as long as I can remember. Granted I'm aging and don't remember things like I used to but... :) 

Agree.  Too early to grade.   Could have an epic 2-3 weeks and that would change everything.  

4 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

So far it's quickly becoming a forgettable winter and if it doesn't produce this month, then it'll be more or less a soft dud. The only thing memorable was that 2 week cold spell. 

I think I’ll remember a crippling blizzard in the city. I watched multiple cars and trucks get stuck on Broadway during the middle of the day. Near zero visabilty for hours. And that doesn’t even approach what happened where I live 

That’s an 8’ drift, you know run of the mill

5B8B27E3-4B77-4CE9-9D46-E3F685061593.jpeg

The biggest snowstorm last season for most of us occured around St Patricks day last Winter, so we still have time.

This Winter is more reminiscent of those prior to 2010 and more in line with long term climo. 

The last ten years or so have been a significant positive anomaly in the snowfall department, especially for the extreme coast. At the same time, it's been a major negative anomaly for interior sections, so one would think that eventually things would revert back to long term climo. 

The main feature that has been missing this Winter is strong blocking. We've had quite a few good storm systems, but nothing to slow down and amplify the pattern. A significant block this time of the year over Greenland is almost a guarantee for a major East coast snowstorm.

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think I’ll remember a crippling blizzard in the city. I watched multiple cars and trucks get stuck on Broadway during the middle of the day. Near zero visabilty for hours. And that doesn’t even approach what happened where I live 

That’s an 8’ drift, you know run of the mill

5B8B27E3-4B77-4CE9-9D46-E3F685061593.jpeg

That was a good storm, but for anyone living West of the Hudson River it wasn't unforgettable. 

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

We need one more widespread 6"+ storm to make this a solid winter, that should get everyone close to their averages. 

I think this year will fall into the 08/09 category of an okay winter. 

Seeing the MJO collapse in Phase 7 is concerning though. 

You sound like a spoiled brat. Learn long term climo for Northern NJ.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

You sound like a spoiled brat. Learn long term climo for Northern NJ.

The climo for the past 20 years is averaging much higher snows than in the past and it's not a fluke. Our snowfall totals will continue to be higher than the previous 20+ years until we reach the point of no return.

That's like saying our average temperature should also revert to how they were 25+ years ago. Long term climo doesn't mean a thing in a rapidly changing environment. 

9 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The climo for the past 20 years is averaging much higher snows than in the past and it's not a fluke. Our snowfall totals will continue to be higher than the previous 20+ years until we reach the point of no return.

That's like saying our average temperature should also revert to how they were 25+ years ago. Long term climo doesn't mean a thing in a rapidly changing environment. 

The last 20 years are a fluke. Eventually things will correct back to long term averages. 

10 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

12-16" isn't crippling

When it’s unexpected and occurs smack in the middle of a week day accompanied by blizzard conditions it is. The city was never forecasted to see anything approaching blizzard conditions on 1/4 but did. 12-16” falling over the weekend or at night with little wind is not. 

Its all about timing and prepardness. 

30 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

This winter had it occurred say in 1985 would be memorable. (City east) 

And as far as snow climatology we are only half way. I hope we have a slamming end of February just to revisit these posts

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Absolutely. But it was a lesser storm. Much higher pressures and as a result less wind and blizzard conditions 

Yeah, I was in Florida for that storm. My return flight was canceled into SWF and I had to wait an extra 3 days till I was able to get a flight home.

7 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Dude, that storm did not cripple the city.

Schools knowingly closed. 

The guys in Terminal 5 and 4 at JFK were the only ones that didnt get the weather memo. haha

Completely ignorant comment. You were there? 

Heres a photo I took of a tractor trailer and a fedex truck stuck on Broadway 

8265F0A8-5199-4C47-9050-7007DB896164.jpeg

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

When it’s unexpected and occurs smack in the middle of a week day accompanied by blizzard conditions it is. The city was never forecasted to see anything approaching blizzard conditions on 1/4 but did. 12-16” falling over the weekend or at night with little wind is not. 

Its all about timing and prepardness. 

Many people stay home and work these days too when big snow is forecast so you tend to have less people on the roads for bigger storms.

Dude, no offense, you have a photo of a truck stuck in the snow in the height of a snow storm. 

If I recall your posts from that day correctly (and I do enjoy your posts) you left work on the West Side and went home. If I recall from the snow obervations we discussed, home is Wantagh.  

That is 40 miles of road or rail.

I also drove from hastings to whitestone as it ended (6pm ish) I wish I waited an hour because there was black top on my trip back up.

It was a great one foot storm. It came fast and left just as fast. For the few hours it came down heavy, travel was to be avoided. 

We went out to dinner at 730 and the restaurant was nearly full.

That, in my humble opinion, is not a crippling blizzard like Jan 2015 or the Deceember 26th/Bloomberg in Bermuda beauty.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived