Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Tough for me to get too amped up about this.  LLJ are like inverted troughs, backlash and severe threats. Very real phenomena, but if you arr relying on them you will be disappointed 9/10 times around here.

Hopefully this is the 1 in 10 time it works.  

Gonna be ripping at 2,000ft regardless.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is def something that shouldn't be overlooked. We just came off a pretty good rain event too. So the soft ground could make a 45mph gust effectively be a 60mph gust. It's a variable that maybe lets you go a little more bullish in terms of damage...since you don't necessarily need to verify the highest winds in the envelope of solutions to get it. 

Agreed.  

Hit the damage side of thing as I really think 40-50 gusts in the interior is higher than a lot of folks think and will do more damage than some think they will.

Legit 45mph through the forest will uproot trees and knock out power. 

Maybe I'm wrong and a bunch of PWS and ASOS or other stations in the interior record 55-70mph gusts...but I think we find a decent amount of damage like in a summer thunderstorm with obs in the 40-50 or maybe 55mph zone.

Legit 55mph winds in a forested neighborhood can flatten an interior New England woodland with leaves on it.  Hopefully some realize just how strong 50-55mph is and because a tree came down in the backyard doesn't mean it was 70mph.  Homes are shedding shingles at that speed.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Weenie Kuchera maps. I would take the under on a lot of that. 

Anyways as I said in the NYC thread..it's all about where the low tucks in. Notice it ticked east from NYC.

Do they make 925mb weenie maps?  170kph touching coastal Mass.

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

ecmwf_uv10g_mph_boston_4.png

ecmwf_uv10g_mph_boston_5.png

That top map is fascinating.

I don't think I've ever seen a model showing significant downsloping winds into the CT River Valley.  

You can see the upslope/downslope couplets easily.  East side of ORH Hills and Berks with much less than the lee side western slope of all hills.  That's awesome mesoscale stuff for SNE.  

Also eastern side of Whites very low with huge winds downsloping on the west side.

That slight terrain drop may be able to mix it down from 2-3k feet in the CT River Valley over to Tolland.  Blizz being on the west side will definitely help him and not on the eastern upslope zone where the wind is going up and over a bit more.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

That top map is fascinating.

I don't think I've ever seen a model showing significant downsloping winds into the CT River Valley.  

You can see the upslope/downslope couplets easily.  East side of ORH Hills and Berks with much less than the lee side western slope of all hills.  That's awesome mesoscale stuff for SNE.  

Also eastern side of Whites very low with huge winds downsloping on the west side.

That slight terrain drop may be able to mix it down from 2-3k feet in the CT River Valley over to Tolland.  Blizz being on the west side will definitely help him and not on the eastern upslope zone where the wind is going up and over a bit more.

I really am amazed at how well all these models ( not just the Euro) keep showing the higher gusts over the terrain enhanced areas. It’s fascinating.. whether or not they’re right time will tell 

Then again the HRRR gust product seems reasonable so perhaps it's right. It's like forecasting over a foot of snow in BOS with east winds...these srly LLJ regimes. Normally it does not happen...but then a Jan 11-12 2011 can happen. Ask Jerry aboutt that one. GFS BUFKIT at BOS is frankly beyond absurd. It's tough to buy..but who knows.

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not saying it’s correct ****, but the Euro run after run after run has been showing 70-80mph gusts for CT and East. I know Ginx has mentioned it’s been good over the past year in general with winds. Just making a note 

Pretty consistent, but I would lop off 25% on those in general.  At lease N of the Pike/West of 495

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Then again the HRRR gust product seems reasonable so perhaps it's right. It's like forecasting over a foot of snow in BOS with east winds...these srly LLJ regimes. Normally it does not happen...but then a Jan 11-12 2011 can happen. Ask Jerry aboutt that one. GFS BUFKIT at BOS is frankly beyond absurd. It's tough to buy..but who knows.

The Euros wind gusts for all of CT and SNE are wild to say the least...don't know if I'm believing that either???  But almost all the models are showing the same ideas...so is this truly that one in thousand type of event that blows the socks off most all of us??? 

Or is it a big flop for most and a modeling blunder??  Tough tough call?? 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I really am amazed at how well all these models ( not just the Euro) keep showing the higher gusts over the terrain enhanced areas. It’s fascinating.. whether or not they’re right time will tell 

That EURO map is crazy...the western slope into the CT Valley makes sense.  A slight dip in terrain will mix it down as the flow comes over the "crest".  

East Slope Berks minimum with west slope maximum makes sense too.

Fascinating.

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Yep, definitely taking the under in the Merrimack Valley. Hurricane Andrew could be barreling up the Merrimack and I'd take the under. 

I had been pretty much ignoring this event, but I think I'm going to take a last minute opportunity to address it on my blog.......I'll take my best shot at peak gusts.

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

The Euros wind gusts for all of CT and SNE are wild to say the least...don't know if I'm believing that either???  But almost all the models are showing the same ideas...so is this truly that one in thousand type of event that blows the socks off most all of us??? 

Or is it a big flop for most and a modeling blunder??  Tough tough call?? 

That's a lot of questions to answer in one post. 

Going with gusts to 55 for DXR, which is higher than I originally anticipated even yesterday. 

Archived