Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Hurricane Irma Local Impacts/Evacuations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Folks on the islands across the globe are used to things like this.  It happens.  My boss is from Guam and they have a similar philosophy. 

I have a friend on St. Thomas and she is not concerned about her personal safety for this very reason, but she is aware that if the island is unfortunate enough to take a direct hit from Irma that the damage will be extensive. Islands that experience storms on a regular basis are very well prepared for events like this. For example, the island of Itbayat in the Philippines took a direct hit from Super Typhoon Meranti just last year which had winds of 185 mph and there were no fatalities reported out of a population of just over 2,800. I am not downplaying the current situation, just trying to reassure those who may have friends or family on the islands that may lie in the path of Irma that a direct hit by a storm of this magnitude does not necessarily mean that it result in a mass casualty event. 

https://weather.com/news/news/typhoon-meranti-itbayat-island-northern-philippines

typhoon.jpg.89c7cb65df09401c428d6c1233e14798.jpg

Couple of thoughts in regards to Irma from a snarky EM:

1.) WxComms will be huge with Irma.  Matthew's failure to make landfall in Florida last year left a sour taste in the mouth of the locals.  There's distrust of local media and NWS offices.

2.)  FEMA is about exhausted WRT USAR teams, logistics support and regional IMTs.  Depending on where Irma goes, we're going to see potentially delayed response and recovery.  Budget cuts at the Federal level since 2005 have not been kind to local and state response and recovery.

I have family that live in Boynton Beach, FL, that's Palm Beach County. They are scheduled to fly up to NYC on Friday anyway because they are attending a wedding this weekend on Long Island. I've told them to prepare as if they might not be able to get home for over a week and to empty out any perishables from the freezer and fridge. They live far enough inland that surge shouldn't be a problem, but that area is likely to take the RFQ and I believe the code there is only good to withstand category three. 

33 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Would imagine the decision on the game would have to be made by today if it were to be held Friday.

Correct.  Might be moved up to Thursday or Friday night in Miami or moved to an alternate city.

My friend who works for the Dolphins indicated the most likely scenario is the game to be played on Sunday but moved to a different city.  

Just now, Akeem the African Dream said:

Correct.  Might be moved up to Thursday or Friday night in Miami or moved to an alternate city.

My friend who works for the Dolphins indicated the most likely scenario is the game to be played on Sunday but moved to a different city.  

What city?  I'd hesitate to pick any city within FL Peninsula/GA/NC/SC at this point.  Perhaps west FL? FSU?

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What city?  I'd hesitate to pick any city within FL Peninsula/GA/NC/SC at this point.  Perhaps west FL? FSU?

He didn't say. Just mentioned that there were strong opinions on both sides.

I had casually asked him because I was looking at some draft kings lineups and was wondering the possibilities of the game getting moved up which would have taken it off the main slate on sunday.  

2 hours ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

On a serious note for now...... Anyone who needs hurricane supplies like water, batteries, etc should just go to Amazon.com.  You will get it by Thursday or Friday.

Don't be one of these jabronis battling the mass chaos of Publix and Whole Foods.

Just tried this.  I'm in Pittsburgh, loaded up a pantry box to send to my daughter in Tampa.  Gallon of water was $1.98.  Changed delivery to Tampa, price for that same gallon of water jumped to $23.

2 minutes ago, cwc said:

Just tried this.  I'm in Pittsburgh, loaded up a pantry box to send to my daughter in Tampa.  Gallon of water was $1.98.  Changed delivery to Tampa, price for that same gallon of water jumped to $23.

yeah.  amazon is gouging the prices.

i got a case of water last night for $7 but this morning it was over $14 when one of my friends tried to order.

Hey just joined the forum, want to say great information. I'm in New Port Richey, FL between Tampa/Clearwater area. I normally don't get too worried about storms over here on the west coast of Florida but I'm getting pretty nervous about this one, my mother lives down in Naples, I'm trying to get her to move inland but she is being stubborn so far. I'm gonna head out searching for water/supplies this afternoon but have heard a lot of places are already low because of sending out part of their inventory to help out in Texas.

1 hour ago, dbullsfan said:

Hey just joined the forum, want to say great information. I'm in New Port Richey, FL between Tampa/Clearwater area. I normally don't get too worried about storms over here on the west coast of Florida but I'm getting pretty nervous about this one, my mother lives down in Naples, I'm trying to get her to move inland but she is being stubborn so far. I'm gonna head out searching for water/supplies this afternoon but have heard a lot of places are already low because of sending out part of their inventory to help out in Texas.

Hey.  I know people in Naples.  They live really close to the Gulf. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived