Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Places like that taught me to never make a radical maneuver to avoid a critter in the road. I've watched cars fly off the road to miss things that they would have plowed right through and been able to continue on their way instead of having a wrecked car and being stuck out in the middle of nowhere freezing their patooties off waiting for help. A couple of times I've given people rides into the next town because I wasn't going to sit and burn a tank of gas waiting for a tow in the morning. I've creamed deer and once an elk rather than risking my safety to miss it. Thankfully none of the things I've hit disabled my vehicle but I'd rather be disabled on the road than upside down in a ditch or possibly worse, at least if you're on the road you have a chance at maintaining control but once you're off the road it's out of your hands entirely.

I wouldn’t recommend doing that with a moose

35 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I wouldn’t recommend doing that with a moose

In most circumstances I'd agree with you and I would do all I could to slow down and reduce the impact but unless I could guarantee being able to maintain control (grassy median or similar) or at least have a fair chance at it I would still choose to hit it rather than point the car off the road. The elk I hit was at around midnight 30 miles from the nearest town and it was 15* and snowing. Thankfully it slipped and fell so I didn't take it out full on and I was in a nearly 6,000 pound Landcruiser wagon so I pretty much went over it but did get a piece of antler through the radiator and made a general mess but I survived to be able to tell a great story rather than some other folks I know that chose to try and miss them and lost to immovable objects or launched off and rolled.

45 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I worked local so it wasn't terrible and lived right near the train station. But I do like Suffolk better, more to do in the summer, more open space and parks, more bang for your buck

I agree with you on that. The traffic situation here in Western Suffolk is much better than it was back in Nassau. Queens line to Meadowboook always has the worst traffic on LI. Traffic really improves once you get east of the Meadowbrook. 

• Like 1

Gotta love that CFS long range.   It has a White Christmas for 10 days even before Christmas morning gets here---and long after it.   Nice work you sweet, sweet Elves.  lol.

Basically it was always showing a White Christmas, but this is the best yet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Peak foliage now. Actually a great leaf season around here.

Turned out much better than it seemed it would a couple weeks ago. Maples are mostly past peak here now, but still holding great color, and oaks are now peak. I think we'll see major leaf drop with the CAA event at the end of this week.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Turned out much better than it seemed it would a couple weeks ago. Maples are mostly past peak here now, but still holding great color, and oaks are now peak. I think we'll see major leaf drop with the CAA event at the end of this week.

Yeah first freeze in the suburbs should finish things off. The pond near my house (Mill Pond) has excellent foliage. Black Gums are first with deep red, they are done. Right now Red Maple and Sweet Gum are at peak and pretty solid. Oaks here are just starting to show some color. 

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

It's a shame because we had very nice color here, but it didn't last long and a lot of trees thinned out early.  Not bad though considering the rough start.

Like I said in the interior forum, my first hard freeze usually comes in strong, and this year is no exception.  Friday's low is forecasted to be 23° currently.

3 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

It's a shame because we had very nice color here, but it didn't last long and a lot of trees thinned out early.  Not bad though considering the rough start.

Like I said in the interior forum, my first hard freeze usually comes in strong, and this year is no exception.  Friday's low is forecasted to be 23° currently.

No freeze yet for you?

Some really big weather extremes to start November across the US.

In 73 yrs of records at Sea-Tac there has only been 8 days w/highs 43° or less in the 1st week of Nov, 3 of them in the last 3 days. #wawx

RECORDS: Officially, 0.4" snowfall at SeaTac today, breaking the old daily record of Trace set in 1973.

Since records began in 1898, Dallas-Fort Worth had never hit 90°F in November. Now they've done it on 3 of last 4 days (at least 93F Sun).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dakota said:

I just called them and the gentleman indicated that I do not even have propane; but rather natural gas as the source of heat...

He indicated that it is delivered as electricity might be delivered; and there is no gauge or tank to be read to ascertain if it is nearly empty...

It is interesting; how well-versed I am on ethereal matters; and yet I can be so utterly lacking when it comes to simple affairs that occupy the temporal realm...

Feet on the ground there girl, get with it ;) Where you're at now you need to be more in touch with this stuff. I'm surprised you didn't realize that there isn't a very large propane tank somewhere outside the house that's accessible to the street. There should be a meter where the gas line comes into the house.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Need to blow out my sprinklers asap, all the companies are booked and i dont have a compressor. This is bad news.

I didn't last year and blew out my back flow device.

You have time , 1 or 2 nights will not kill you , but a 300 shut off cost me 900 to repair.

12 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

I didn't last year and blew out my back flow device.

You have time , 1 or 2 nights will not kill you , but a 300 shut off cost me 900 to repair.

If it gets below 25 like some models are showing I get nervous. Luckily its been warm lately so the ground will keep things above freezing, other than any exposed pipes and maybe the heads themselves

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

If it gets below 25 like some models are showing I get nervous. Luckily its been warm lately so the ground will keep things above freezing, other than any exposed pipes and maybe the heads themselves

Unfortunately that’s one thing I don’t do. But I can promise you your absolutely fine. The ground is so warm unless we had a mid winter level arctic airmass (highs in the teens) you will be fine. But as PB said just get it done before real winter sets in, it’s not something to mess around with

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

Looks like I made the right choice; as some light snow has broken out here with the temp down to 21 F with a very gusty North wind.

Up at the station just outside of Lead / elev. 6070'; its down to 13 F.  

You mentioned that being the snowiest station east of the Rockies. How could they possibly beat  the UP of Michigan or the Tug Hill? I get the elevation but it’s pretty dry out there 

#NYCweatherNOW

Tue 11/07/2017

7am  42 sunny

12pm 47 partly cloudy

7pm   38 rain/snow showers

Tue 48 cloudy 38 rain/snow

Wed  52 sunny 36 clear

Thur  50 sunny 33 clear

Fri      38 sunny 27 clear

Sat    45 cloudy 37 clear

Sun   46 sct rain 42 cloudy

Mon  46 sunny 39 cloudy