Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Verbatim, it would probably cause a more northward (but still slightly nw'ward) movement vs. the last 4 runs of the GFS....ie would head into PA/NY states vs. buried into WV/TN/KY....

2 minutes ago, winterymix said:

The trend after LF would be a drop to less than Cat 1 in less than 24 hours.

The rains will be a huge issue along with uprooted trees.

Also, numerous category 1 tornadoes in the front right quarter.

This will be a fast mover so no 30"+ rains as with Harvey.

So theoretically she could still be a high end TS up in PA?

9 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Question, due to this being a large spread out cane, would the downsloping off the Cuba mts aid in the dryslotting on the SE quadrant as it starts its turn toward SoFL weakening it a bit, versus a more compact cane that would have minimal impacts? 

Storms don't have to be right over Cuba to feel the impacts of the mountains.  Dry air entrainment is possible even likely to some degree, but the water is warm and the general airmass will be favorable so disruptions will likely be somewhat minimal if the core stays 30, 40 or 50 miles north of land in Cuba.  There will likely be some impact though.  

7 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

12Z Canadian has a further east track from south florida all the way along and up the east  coast

gem_mslp_wind_seus_32.png

This has it phasing with the first SW the GFS has it phasing with a second SW. Tricky forecast and shows anything can still happen. Hopefully the 0z runs provide some clarity. 

2 minutes ago, OUGrad05 said:

No, you may have TS force wind gusts but it won't be a high end tropical storm in PA on the GFS track.

Just now, winterymix said:

I'm seeing 30 mph gusts near the coast so if still warm core, a depression.

Thanks to both. I saw the post about 24 hours dropping to Cat 1 strength and wondered because it looked like in 24 from 2nd landfall, she'd be in western PA.

8 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Turns into one hell of a great lakes storm

Yeah, a pretty good one by September standards.  The phasing slows the weakening process and the system actually deepens again.  

Should point out the obvious that we shouldn't be putting a lot of stock in individual op runs yet, whether it's pre or post landfall.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Recon already reported 61kts well West of the eye.

I noticed that too, I was curious how wide this storm was for hurricane and TS force winds.  Seems to be broadening at least based on this early recon.  We'll see how the flight pans out.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I've been tracking the public advisories the last few days

Friday 5am--Hurricane-force winds extended 15 miles and tropical-storm-force winds extended 90 miles.
Saturday 5am--Hurricane-force winds extended 25 miles and tropical-storm-force winds extended 80 miles.
Monday 5am--Hurricane-force winds extended 30 miles and tropical-storm-force winds extended 140 miles.

Repeated ERCs have been continuously expanding the windfield -- pretty much as forecast so far.

Archived