• Member Statistics

    16,059
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Cat Lady
    Newest Member
    Cat Lady
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
Rtd208

8/18/2017 Heavy Rain, Flooding & Severe Storm Observations

Recommended Posts

The sun just poked out here. Here are some of the rainfall totals so far today. Looks like Eastern Suffolk was the big winner this morning with well over 3" in some places.

The following are unofficial observations taken during the past 12
hours for the storm that has been affecting our region. Appreciation
is extended to Highway departments... cooperative observers... Skywarn
spotters and media for these reports. This summary is also available
on our home Page at weather.Gov/NYC

********************storm total rainfall********************

Location          storm total     time/date   comments                   
                     rainfall           of 
                     /inches/   measurement

Connecticut

... Fairfield County... 
   1 NW Easton           1.01   730 am  8/18  hads                    
   Bridgeport Airport    0.72  1200 PM  8/18  ASOS                    

... New Haven County... 
   New Haven Airport     0.55  1200 PM  8/18  ASOS                    

New Jersey

... Bergen County... 
   Teterboro Airport     1.52   900 am  8/18  ASOS                    
   1 W Tenafly           1.43   830 am  8/18  cocorahs                
   Bergenfield           1.07  1000 am  8/18  mesonet                 
   Wood-Ridge            1.07   758 am  8/18  cwop                    
   Teaneck               0.59   753 am  8/18  cwop                    
   1 se Fair Lawn        0.56   750 am  8/18  cwop                    

... Essex County... 
   1 NW Nutley           0.85   749 am  8/18  cwop                    
   1 SSW West Orange     0.84   742 am  8/18  cwop                    
   1 se Cedar Grove      0.74   740 am  8/18  cwop                    
   North Caldwell        0.59   745 am  8/18  cwop                    

... Hudson County... 
   1 WSW north arlingto  0.54   752 am  8/18  cwop                    

... Passaic County... 
   West Paterson         0.59   743 am  8/18  cwop                    
   garret mountain       0.56   745 am  8/18  IFLOWS                  
   Passaic               0.51   743 am  8/18  cwop                    

New York

... Nassau County... 
   Farmingdale           2.27  1230 PM  8/18  mesonet                 
   Floral Park           1.58  1100 am  8/18  mesonet                 
   Uniondale             1.28  1100 am  8/18  mesonet                 
   Wantagh               0.76  1100 am  8/18  trained spotter         

... New York County... 
   Central Park          0.78   900 am  8/18  ASOS                    

... Queens County... 
   NYC/La Guardia        0.87  1000 am  8/18  ASOS                    

... Rockland County... 
   Nanuet                0.52   745 am  8/18  IFLOWS                  

... Suffolk County... 
   East Shoreham         3.80  1220 PM  8/18  trained spotter         
   Riverhead             3.61  1200 PM  8/18  NWS employee            
   Northport             2.79  1030 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Calverton             2.68  1253 PM  8/18  mesonet                 
   Farmingville          2.56  1130 am  8/18  NWS employee            
   Upton                 2.17  1200 PM  8/18  NWS office              
   Commack               2.10  1035 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Saint James           1.86  1040 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Islip Airport         1.75  1100 am  8/18  ASOS                    
   Stony Brook           1.74  1045 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Smithtown             1.63  1030 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Greenlawn             1.54  1035 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Orient                1.30   100 PM  8/18  trained spotter         
   Bay Shore             1.02  1100 am  8/18  public                  
   Shirley Airport       0.91  1200 PM  8/18  ASOS                   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

the hrrr is locked in on a squall line affecting all of us later. i believe it

This isn't one of those situations where the action will die down around sunset ;-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The sun just poked out here. Here are some of the rainfall totals so far today. Looks like Eastern Suffolk was the big winner this morning with well over 3" in some places.

The following are unofficial observations taken during the past 12
hours for the storm that has been affecting our region. Appreciation
is extended to Highway departments... cooperative observers... Skywarn
spotters and media for these reports. This summary is also available
on our home Page at weather.Gov/NYC

********************storm total rainfall********************

Location          storm total     time/date   comments                   
                     rainfall           of 
                     /inches/   measurement

Connecticut

... Fairfield County... 
   1 NW Easton           1.01   730 am  8/18  hads                    
   Bridgeport Airport    0.72  1200 PM  8/18  ASOS                    

... New Haven County... 
   New Haven Airport     0.55  1200 PM  8/18  ASOS                    

New Jersey

... Bergen County... 
   Teterboro Airport     1.52   900 am  8/18  ASOS                    
   1 W Tenafly           1.43   830 am  8/18  cocorahs                
   Bergenfield           1.07  1000 am  8/18  mesonet                 
   Wood-Ridge            1.07   758 am  8/18  cwop                    
   Teaneck               0.59   753 am  8/18  cwop                    
   1 se Fair Lawn        0.56   750 am  8/18  cwop                    

... Essex County... 
   1 NW Nutley           0.85   749 am  8/18  cwop                    
   1 SSW West Orange     0.84   742 am  8/18  cwop                    
   1 se Cedar Grove      0.74   740 am  8/18  cwop                    
   North Caldwell        0.59   745 am  8/18  cwop                    

... Hudson County... 
   1 WSW north arlingto  0.54   752 am  8/18  cwop                    

... Passaic County... 
   West Paterson         0.59   743 am  8/18  cwop                    
   garret mountain       0.56   745 am  8/18  IFLOWS                  
   Passaic               0.51   743 am  8/18  cwop                    

New York

... Nassau County... 
   Farmingdale           2.27  1230 PM  8/18  mesonet                 
   Floral Park           1.58  1100 am  8/18  mesonet                 
   Uniondale             1.28  1100 am  8/18  mesonet                 
   Wantagh               0.76  1100 am  8/18  trained spotter         

... New York County... 
   Central Park          0.78   900 am  8/18  ASOS                    

... Queens County... 
   NYC/La Guardia        0.87  1000 am  8/18  ASOS                    

... Rockland County... 
   Nanuet                0.52   745 am  8/18  IFLOWS                  

... Suffolk County... 
   East Shoreham         3.80  1220 PM  8/18  trained spotter         
   Riverhead             3.61  1200 PM  8/18  NWS employee            
   Northport             2.79  1030 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Calverton             2.68  1253 PM  8/18  mesonet                 
   Farmingville          2.56  1130 am  8/18  NWS employee            
   Upton                 2.17  1200 PM  8/18  NWS office              
   Commack               2.10  1035 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Saint James           1.86  1040 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Islip Airport         1.75  1100 am  8/18  ASOS                    
   Stony Brook           1.74  1045 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Smithtown             1.63  1030 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Greenlawn             1.54  1035 am  8/18  amateur radio           
   Orient                1.30   100 PM  8/18  trained spotter         
   Bay Shore             1.02  1100 am  8/18  public                  
   Shirley Airport       0.91  1200 PM  8/18  ASOS                   

I recorded 2.14" in Commack, remarkable consistency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paragon said:

Doesn't look too good for Yankees/Red Sox tonight does it?

No, they should probably call it. Right now rain looks to move into Boston around 8PM and not move out until after 1AM.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NJwx85 said:

No, they should probably call it. Right now rain looks to move into Boston around 8PM and not move out until after 1AM.

Yeah calling it is way better than making everyone suffer through another long rain delay.  Is the Sunday game an ESPN Sunday Night game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Yeah calling it is way better than making everyone suffer through another long rain delay.  Is the Sunday game an ESPN Sunday Night game?

No Sunday game is at 1:30. Yankees fly to Detroit after the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NJwx85 said:

No Sunday game is at 1:30. Yankees fly to Detroit after the game.

Oh, sounds like the only other option is a DH on Saturday, unless they want to do one in September when they play again (or on an off day.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paragon said:

Oh, sounds like the only other option is a DH on Saturday, unless they want to do one in September when they play again (or on an off day.)

 

This is the Yankees last trip into Fenway this season. Actually the Yankees are off on Monday, but they are still flying to Detroit on Sunday, therefore I highly doubt they would play a day night double header on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, seanick said:

Maybe parts of the City will get lucky with the northern part of that line. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 16.50.31.png

It has to completely fall apart by the time it gets to wantagh. Well southern wantagh as the new mesonet can't go over .20 for the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This is the Yankees last trip into Fenway this season. Actually the Yankees are off on Monday, but they are still flying to Detroit on Sunday, therefore I highly doubt they would play a day night double header on Sunday.

Are you saying that MLB will take the Yankees flight plans into account when rescheduling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not expecting much from this line. I received 1.60 inches of rain in 45 minutes today from the warm frontal activity. Didn't clear much this afternoon, so I expect mostly showers for suffolk, some of which can be heavy due to the high moisture content.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Are you saying that MLB will take the Yankees flight plans into account when rescheduling?

It sounds like they should just do two games on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Initially plenty of lightning incoming then soon as the rain hit very little thunder it fizzled. 1" rain from a garden variety thundershower.

To quote somebody " it came it saw my yard it died"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.