Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
8/18/2017 Heavy Rain, Flooding & Severe Storm Observations

Rtd208

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Some of the best rates I have ever seen. Visabilty down to a few hundred feet in amytville and insane thunder

Well it's over here now and the sky has brightened up considerably.  Flood warning ended here at 10:30 AM which was perfect timing (no sarcasm- they were spot on.)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bluewave said:

Sharp rainfall gradient with only .15 and Wantagh. Rapid increase near and north of the Southern State.

WUNIDS_map.gif.bb2062e0c944e0dfd0f0501683f7ac05.gif

Chris, we've discussed the lack of convective rainfall/snowfall on the south shore being due to the stabilizing influence of the ocean, why is it that the Jersey shore (especially Monmouth and Ocean counties) jackpot with these kind of events (both in the summer and the winter)? Is it because of the orientation of the coastline there is more conducive to it than the coastline of LI?

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Sharp rainfall gradient with only .15 and Wantagh. Rapid increase near and north of the Southern State.

WUNIDS_map.gif.bb2062e0c944e0dfd0f0501683f7ac05.gif

According to that we got about 0.3" here....what has JFK gotten so far?  According to that graphic, there's a spot of 1.5"+ near there!

Sun is out in full force now.

6 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Chris, we've discussed the lack of convective rainfall/snowfall on the south shore being due to the stabilizing influence of the ocean, why is it that the Jersey shore (especially Monmouth and Ocean counties) jackpot with these kind of events (both in the summer and the winter)? Is it because of the orientation of the coastline there is more conducive to it than the coastline of LI?

The warm front loves to set up just north of the South Shore just like with seabreeze fronts. So these morning warm front convective events tend to focus just to our north. Sometimes when we get stronger frontal wave development, the jackpot is right on the South Shore like on 8-14-11 when Long Beach got 10" in under 12 hours.

Just now, bluewave said:

The warm front loves to set up just north of the South Shore just like with seabreeze fronts. So these morning warm front convective events tend to focus just to our north. Sometimes when we get stronger frontal wave development the jackpot is right on the South Shore like on 8-14-11 when Long Beach got 10" in under 12 hours.

Yes that was a huge month for us.  I remember that specific event was one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) rainfall event for this area- and that includes tropical systems.

Do you think the late afternoon/evening part of the event might be a bigger deal than what we just had?  Or will this serve to stabilize the atmosphere some?

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Yes that was a huge month for us.  I remember that specific event was one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) rainfall event for this area- and that includes tropical systems.

Do you think the late afternoon/evening part of the event might be a bigger deal than what we just had?  Or will this serve to stabilize the atmosphere some?

The HRRR has most of the stronger activity down in South Jersey, but we could still see some heavier downpours given the current atmospheric conditions in place.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The HRRR has most of the stronger activity down in South Jersey, but we could still see some heavier downpours given the current atmospheric conditions in place.

Yeah South Jersey has gotten some of the biggest totals this summer, but it would be nice to see part of that extend up here.  Haven't really seen any kind of trend north this year so far though.

9 minutes ago, Paragon said:

My other record in Long Beach was 5.15 in just under 2 hours on 6-22-95. But many times the axis of these events is just inland from the South Shore beaches. It's all about the 90 degree angle of the coast in the NY Bight.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

May other record in Long Beach was 5.15 in just under 2 hours on 6-22-95. But many times the axis of these events is just inland from the South Shore beaches. It's all about the 90 degree angle of the coast in the NY Bight.

Oh that explains why the Jersey Shore gets a lot more.....

Funny thing about 1995, two months after that event we were in the midst of a drought and wildfires all over the place.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Oh that explains why the Jersey Shore gets a lot more.....

Funny thing about 1995, two months after that event we were in the midst of a drought and wildfires all over the place.

Yeah, August 1995 was one our our driest months along with Jul 1999.

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, August 1995 was one our our driest months along with Jul 1999.

I liked July 1999 more (because we hit 100- no 100 degrees on the south shore in 1995 and July 1999 was part of the 11 yr cycle of hot summers that set records, to be broken in 2010, 11 years later.)

11 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I liked July 1999 more (because we hit 100- no 100 degrees on the south shore in 1995 and July 1999 was part of the 11 yr cycle of hot summers that set records, to be broken in 2010, 11 years later.)

Yeah, I remember that very well. Numerous reports of cars stuck in flooding around Huntington. Looks like around 3" there in about an hour.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Showers-and-Storms-Move-in-Overnight-Will-Bring-Soggy-Morning-Commute-440974593.html

19 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

What about September 07!! 

IMG_0067.JPG

You mean October? I was on Park Street which turned into a lake. It was a quick 2-3". We were also under a tornado warning. But the couplet weakened as it came ashore with hardly any wind where I was.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
403 PM EDT THU OCT 11 2007

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  SOUTHWESTERN NASSAU COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

* UNTIL 430 PM EDT...

* AT 358 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 13 MILES SOUTH
  OF ATLANTIC BEACH...OR ABOUT 13 MILES SOUTH OF LONG BEACH...MOVING
  NORTH AT 20 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
  ATLANTIC BEACH...LONG BEACH...CEDARHURST AND WOODMERE BY 430 PM...
FLASH FLOOD WARNING
427 PM EDT THU OCT 11 2007

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

* UNTIL 630 PM EDT...

* AT 425 PM EDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED FLASH FLOODING FROM 
THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE WARNED AREA IN LONG BEACH...AND RAINFALL 
RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE EVENING 
COMMUTE. 

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF URBAN 
AREAS...HIGHWAYS...STREETS AND UNDERPASSES AS WELL AS OTHER DRAINAGE 
AREAS AND LOW LYING SPOTS.

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

You mean October? I was on Park Street which turned into a lake. It was a quick 2-3". We were also under a tornado warning. But the couplet weakened as it came ashore with hardly any wind where I was.

TORNADO WARNING

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

* UNTIL 430 PM EDT...

NORTH AT 20 MPH.

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

* UNTIL 630 PM EDT...

COMMUTE. 

And there was October 2005, when we received close to 20" of rain for the month (and areas further east had nearly two feet of rain!)  Wettest month on record.

21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

TORNADO WARNING

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

* UNTIL 430 PM EDT...

NORTH AT 20 MPH.

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

* UNTIL 630 PM EDT...

COMMUTE. 

Did we actually get a tornado from that?  The last tornado I remember for here was the F2 September 1998 Labor Day event.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Did we actually get a tornado from that?  The last tornado I remember for here was the F2 September 1998 Labor Day event.

No. The couplet weakened right before it came ashore. Had one of the biggest Long Beach flash flood events between 2000-2009 with that one. 

Just now, bluewave said:

No. the couplet weakened right before it came ashore. Had one of the better Long Beach flash flood events between 2000-2009 with that one. 

I remember JFK reported 4-5" with one of these events, I think it might've been that one.

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I remember JFK reported 4-5" with one of these events, I think it might've been that one.

The other big flash flood event was with the Brooklyn tornado in August 2007. That was my first rotating meso in Long Beach as the funnel lifted back into the clouds. One of the coolest things That I ever saw in Long Beach.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The other big flash flood event was with the Brooklyn tormado in August 2007. That was my first rotating meso in Long Beach as the funnel lifted back into the clouds. One of the coolest things That i ever saw in Long Beach.

I remember that- I think that was the one with the 4-5" I was thinking about.  Did SW Nassau have a tornado warning with that one too? What a year for big flood events 2007 was!

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I remember that- I think that was the one with the 4-5" I was thinking about.  Did SW Nassau have a tornado warning with that one too? What a year for big flood events 2007 was!

Yeah, the NWS carried the tornado warning into SW Nassau.

Archived