joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2017 Discussion

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Fairly long time away but some models are showing the potential for Harvey remnants to move into the Ohio Valley.

Euro has been pretty consistent with this. GFS has been flip flopping between OV or hanging around TX/Mexico. GGEM has been either hanging around TX/Mexico or moving east across the south.

Still on track for the 3rd driest August on record here locally, through the first 24 days KCMI has recorded 0.56” of rain for the month, with nothing in the forecast the next 5 days. 

Luckily and thankfully the heat has been kept in check during this dry spell, otherwise it would be worse. Crops are starting to stress, and the growth seems stunted in localized areas. 

Already down to 45.  13 degrees in 2 hours.  It has to be the stillest evening I have ever seen... Utter silence, with the exception of a spirited pack of coyot's yelping in the distance.  Going to be a nippy night with frost a certain.  Second time in 3 years with frost in late August.  85 days between the last frost of spring and first frost this fall season. A very short and cool summer it was!

EDIT:  39 at 11:26. 62 inside, built a small fire in the stove to keep the chill from getting out of hand (it is August after all) .  

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Already down to 45.  13 degrees in 2 hours.  It has to be the stillest evening I have ever seen... Utter silence, with the exception of a spirited pack of coyot's yelping in the distance.  Going to be a nippy night with frost a certain.  Second time in 3 years with frost in late August.  85 days between the last frost of spring and first frost this fall season. A very short and cool summer it was!

EDIT:  39 at 11:26. 62 inside, built a small fire in the stove to keep the chill from getting out of hand (it is August after all) .  

You might get a freeze tonight.

85 days is a miserable growing season, do you even try to grow veggies? 

Even here in NYC, I'm thinking about taking out my A/C. Forecast shows nothing hotter than upper 70s with nights dropping into the 50s for the next ten days.

6 hours ago, nzucker said:

You might get a freeze tonight.

85 days is a miserable growing season, do you even try to grow veggies? 

Even here in NYC, I'm thinking about taking out my A/C. Forecast shows nothing hotter than upper 70s with nights dropping into the 50s for the next ten days.

32 degrees since about 5 this morning. Light frost on the ground (due to overall warm ground I think), heavy frost on the roof and elevated open areas in the front yard.  Ice on the roof and windows of my truck. A lot of the central UP saw a freeze this morning... lowest I see is 26, but numerous reports of 30-32.

A garden in my specific location is nearly impossible.  I know there are plenty of places in the UP that grow veggies just fine, but this isn't one and I'm done trying.  Its too cool for the most part and the growing season is pretty short. In 2015, the last frost was June 16th and the first frost in Fall (albeit a light one) was August 27th... 69 days! I'm also sitting on a north facing hillside in the woods.  Getting enough sun is an issue too.  What I need is a greenhouse. 

Anyway, interested to see what affect the cold has on the trees, which are already turning quite a bit.

Glued to the Harvey situation!

Got some frost as well this morning truck said 35 on the way into work.

I feel pretty bad for the Gulf, Harvey is going to be a bad if not worse case scenario for large population area.  Hopefully people are heading the warnings. Its been a while since we had a major hit a US coastline and this is nothing to mess with especially with the flooding potential. Some models showing 60"+ now thats on the extreme end but cant imagine that amount of rain with the wind for a multi day period. 

On 8/25/2017 at 7:39 AM, weatherbo said:

32 degrees since about 5 this morning. Light frost on the ground (due to overall warm ground I think), heavy frost on the roof and elevated open areas in the front yard.  Ice on the roof and windows of my truck. A lot of the central UP saw a freeze this morning... lowest I see is 26, but numerous reports of 30-32.

A garden in my specific location is nearly impossible.  I know there are plenty of places in the UP that grow veggies just fine, but this isn't one and I'm done trying.  Its too cool for the most part and the growing season is pretty short. In 2015, the last frost was June 16th and the first frost in Fall (albeit a light one) was August 27th... 69 days! I'm also sitting on a north facing hillside in the woods.  Getting enough sun is an issue too.  What I need is a greenhouse. 

Anyway, interested to see what affect the cold has on the trees, which are already turning quite a bit.

Glued to the Harvey situation!

Wow, you hit the magic number. 32F and the first freeze is a done deal. 

You are at a pretty high elevation in the UP, and north-facing, which of course makes getting enough sun a problem especially when filtered through the dense mixed forest of the UP...a lot of sugar maple mixed with conifers which blocks the sun quite effectively. I can understand that this is a situation where growing vegetables isn't really realistic. To the east in the lowlands near the Mackinaw Bridge and Sault St Marie, it may be easier. The land is also a lot more cleared...you're more headed towards the Huron Mountains and eventually the Iron Range which is pretty rugged and forested. 

I can usually do eggplant and tomatoes pretty effectively in the Bronx. Last frost here is around 4/5-10 and first frost is around 10/30. That gives a solid 6 months...it's more like 7 in the urbanized areas of Queens and Manhattan, but I'm in the northeast Bronx which is more residential and wooded. We have been cooling down into the 50s along with the more suburban areas...I am down to running the A/C a few hours here and there. 

But this year was disastrous for eggplant and heirloom tomatoes. Too much rain and too few 90F days. Only 12 days of 90F in NYC. 8 days at JFK. And it's pretty much done...8/26 and the 10-day forecast shows 70s/50s. That brings us out to September 5th and NYC rarely hits 90F after 9/15...September 15th has pretty much been the historical cut-off for 90-degree readings with a few exceptions of course like 1983. But the models continue to bend that huge ridge back into BC and Yukon...that brings a Canadian high down into Ontario and Quebec. Hard to hit 90F in this pattern, or 80...

After some model waffling, it does appear that Harvey's remnants will eventually move toward the Ohio Valley.  Even though it will be several days after initial landfall, it still looks like some heavy rain will be possible. Also, the enhanced shear/wind profiles are still present to some extent so there may even be some severe/tornado risk, at least isolated.

21 minutes ago, Jonger said:

It has been feast or famine.

Over the past 48 hours, my PWS has recorded .07 of liquid.

Thought I'd post this over here.

Feast or famine here too. . Here is Matt's graphic for just this morning. The 1.71" for Huntington was actually about 4 miles north of town.

MBY =0.11" :huh:

21192920_768887759950971_4897582462332782259_n.jpg

Hard freeze expected tomorrow night. Upper 20's to near 30, if not colder.  I would not be surprised to see high temps sub 50 later next week.

color is rapidly popping.  I'd estimate peak in 2 weeks up at my place and 3-4 near the shore.  Earlier than the past 2 years, but more on target for average.

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Hard freeze expected tomorrow night. Upper 20's to near 30, if not colder.  I would not be surprised to see high temps sub 50 later next week.

color is rapidly popping.  I'd estimate peak in 2 weeks up at my place and 3-4 near the shore.  Earlier than the past 2 years, but more on target for average.

I love hearing that, I am taking a vacation going around Georgian Bay and Lake Superior starting a week from Saturday and coming back through the UP later on that subsequent week.

dry here 2..   I pretty much live where precip comes to fade away.

Only 3 days this month of 85 or above and a Max of 86.  Seems almost impossible to accomplish that in August.  It really has been the perfect August packed with amazing sunsets and rises.  20 days of highs of 80 or below -  We don't melt this summer.

Curiosity got the best of me..  2014 and 1999 were the yrs I thought could challenge this month.  No summer of 2014 the Max was 85 in august.  1999 popped one 87.     Nothing challenged this summer again until 1986 with a Max of 82.  Looked to be a pretty miserable rainy month.  Pretty cool summer overall. No blowtorch in fall.   Winter of 96/97 I'll pass on

Archived