Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2017 Discussion

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/6/2017 at 7:40 PM, Spartman said:

Only topped out at 72 under wall-to-wall overcast skies with only a trace of rainfall. :axe: With fall-like rains expected overnight into the next morning, tomorrow is not going to be any better as the fall-like system progresses. Early August is a bit too early for an expected 2+-day stretch of wall-to-wall overcast skies, but might as well be the final nail in the coffin on this "summer."

Here's the latest 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks:

610day.01.gif
610day.02.gif
814day.01.gif
814day.02.gif

Why don't you move to Florida or Arizona instead? It's not supposed to be in the 90s every single day in Ohio, their climo just isn't like that. The type of heat you're looking for just doesn't regularly happen in Dayton.

1 hour ago, cmillzz said:

Yep, just as I feared. Going to be a brutal finish to August methinks.

Wouldn't be surprising.  Have had a fairly cool regime for over a week now.  Bound to flip the other way at some point before summer is done with us.

Yesterday's 0.68" of rain brings us up to 0.93" for August.

Off to the 3rd driest start on record here locally with only 0.52” of precipitation recorded in the first 15 days. Hopefully tomorrow nights rain materializes. 

Getting deep in the summer, and the corn is letting us know, stalks are turning from that bright green, to that yellow, signaling harvest in about 6-8 weeks.  This summer flew by, days are starting to get a tad shorter. 

Hope we have a normal autumn this year, the last 3 have been complete blowtorch. 

6 hours ago, Chambana said:

Off to the 3rd driest start on record here locally with only 0.52” of precipitation recorded in the first 15 days. Hopefully tomorrow nights rain materializes. 

Getting deep in the summer, and the corn is letting us know, stalks are turning from that bright green, to that yellow, signaling harvest in about 6-8 weeks.  This summer flew by, days are starting to get a tad shorter. 

Hope we have a normal autumn this year, the last 3 have been complete blowtorch. 

The last 2 were torches here but 2014 was a cold Autumn. 2013 & 2012 were colder than normal too, but not nearly as much as 2014.

Over performed today in Cleveland with a high of 92. That makes it the 12th 90+ day this year. An average year is 11 or 12 days at or above 90, so this year is running slightly ahead of normal assuming a couple more 90 days pop up later in the month and September. 

Overachieved a bit, topping out at 88 just before the storms arrived.

2 hours ago, Trent said:

Over performed today in Cleveland with a high of 92. That makes it the 12th 90+ day this year. An average year is 11 or 12 days at or above 90, so this year is running slightly ahead of normal assuming a couple more 90 days pop up later in the month and September. 

Very jealous. Meanwhile at DAY, 90-degree days remain at a near-record low with still only one back on June 12th. If DAY isn't going to hit 90 this past July, this month, or in the foreseeable future, the area might as well just go for the earliest last 90 on record this year and get it all over with.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:51 PM, Hoosier said:

It's strange to think of Cleveland having so many more 90 degrees days than places way farther south in Ohio.

Yup. I'll have to check my tally, but I doubt we have had 5 of them in my backyard this summer. Cleveland's temps are a bit suspect.

Edit - 4 days at or above 90 on my PWS this summer.

It's really kind of amazing what you can pick out with just one frame of GOES-16 imagery. You can see detail in the cirrus clouds over Michigan, and see individual cumulus clouds under that, if the cirrus clouds aren't too thick. Any rain over by Davenport IA?

8EsOe9L.jpg

Archived