joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We track?

Why not.   3 weeks of model runs with Harvey and Irma.  Whats another week?  Just a quick glances every 6 hours, not invested at all.  .

As we get further into Sept the flow starts becoming more amplified.  So its timing of how everything comes together.  

29 minutes ago, alex said:

Still baffles me that we don't bury powerlines like they do in other countries. It's expensive, I get it, but how much do we pay to fix them after every storm and what is the cost to the economy of having people and businesses with no power for days?

I wonder why we don't just bury them when we're doing major construction on a road.  I would think over 50 years you could get just about every mile buried.  There's also the aesthetics.  Why do we accept lines on the side of every road but will fight tooth and nail about a single cell tower?

Man, forget Jose's future track, what's left of it has been throwing up just incredible convection all day. If shear were lower I suspect it'd be going to town. 

Agreed. Been putting up the good fight despite hostile environment. Could blow up once it does its anticyclone loop and things become more favourable.

The images coming out of Florida are pretty amazing.  Pretty extreme damage in the Keys and areas near Naples.  

Jacksonville has some pretty extreme flooding going on, I'm guessing few people there took this very seriously.

Decent flooding from surge in SC and GA.   

Obviously could of been worse but I bet this ends up ranked pretty high for monetary costs.

Between Harvey and Irma the Southern US has taken a financial beating.  Will this affect insurance rates nationally? 

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I wonder why we don't just bury them when we're doing major construction on a road.  I would think over 50 years you could get just about every mile buried.  There's also the aesthetics.  Why do we accept lines on the side of every road but will fight tooth and nail about a single cell tower?

I have wondered this for years.  We have Thomas Edison era utility infrastructure in many places.

1 hour ago, alex said:

Still baffles me that we don't bury powerlines like they do in other countries. It's expensive, I get it, but how much do we pay to fix them after every storm and what is the cost to the economy of having people and businesses with no power for days?

Well just to do Tallahassee was estimated at 2 billion, remember this too, Irma would have covered all of Europe, size matters

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The images coming out of Florida are pretty amazing.  Pretty extreme damage in the Keys and areas near Naples.  

Jacksonville has some pretty extreme flooding going on, I'm guessing few people there took this very seriously.

Decent flooding from surge in SC and GA.   

Obviously could of been worse but I bet this ends up ranked pretty high for monetary costs.

Between Harvey and Irma the Southern US has taken a financial beating.  Will this affect insurance rates nationally? 

only extreme damage is the Keys, Naples is some flooding, some trailer park damage and trees, sign damage

1 hour ago, alex said:

If that 2 gigabucks for Tallahassee is legit, we'd be talking multi-trillion to approach full underground.  Might make sense where deep soils occur in population-dense and hurricane susceptible areas.  Where I grew up in NNJ, 10 miles north of the glaciers' terminal moraine, about 90% of the burial would involve blasting - huge expense and probably some unpleasant side effects on foundations as well.  Lots of other places are sitting on bedrock.  (Historical note:  NYC went underground as a direct result of the 1888 blizzard trashing their electric/phone lines.  Of course, pics from that era, including those from the storm, show poles with 15+ cross-arms, each with 8-10 wires.  Fortunately, that's no longer necessary.)

Florida trees > NE Trees, those winds for that long a time and we would be trashed in the summer

Two types of trees down there:  Big grass and "little teapot".  Palms are botanically much closer to grasses than to any trees like pine or oak, and the "true" tree species there tend to be short and stout.  Natural selection works.

Archived