Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

this time sensitive image is pretty spectacular ...and rare!

full bird nor'easter cyclone SE of NS, transitioning cyclone over the interior SE associated with remnant Irma, and pure tropical cyclone east of the Bahamas...

that's like batting for the Cycle!

Well and all related obviously. The outflow from Irma is building the ridge to its north, enhancing the jet streak off the Northeast, which is fueling low pressure development near the Maritimes, which is blocking Jose from going anywhere and causing the multi-day loop in the Atlantic. 

12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The rare thread-the-needle situation where most outcomes favored a catastrophe and things had to unfold perfectly to minimize impacts rather than maximize. I'm not sure how anyone can be indignant instead of relieved when the worst-case scenario is not realized.

In any case, as early as Thursday night, at the far end of the forecast period, the NHC called for a 120 kt Cat 4 crossing the Keys, and it ultimately did so as a 110 kt Cat 4. That's pretty on the money... if anyone got the idea that a Cat 5 was bound for landfall in mainland FL, they didn't get it from official sources.

The problem with this train of thought is that Irma had already reintensified back to cat 5 with 160 mph winds after the ERC, and it only weakened because it interacted with Cuba much more extensively than they had thought, which is something that they did not catch onto until the last moment.

They were right for the wrong reason.....even after it came off of Cuba, they were still forecasting it to become a 5 again for awhile.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The problem with this train of thought is that Irma had already reintensified back to cat 5 with 160 mph winds after the ERC, and it only weakened because it interacted with Cuba much more extensively than they had thought, which is something that they did not catch onto until the last moment.

They were right for the wrong reason.....even after it came off of Cuba, they were still forecasting it to become a 5 again for awhile.

Not that I'm saying it is what happened here, but I think the NHC is painfully aware that if they go and drop a storm a category or two that people stop taking it seriously.

It felt a little like they were caught in two minds after Cuba. Drop to the true intensity and risk people not heeding warnings, or stubbornly forecast rapid intensification and risk being wrong.

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thought of our long ago talks, about how the ass end of N moving Gulf systems always get chewed off,after it went over the Keys, and sure enough. It was at that point I knew Tampa etc would not get meteotsunami backside surge.That is what saved this from becoming epic.

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Not that I'm saying it is what happened here, but I think the NHC is painfully aware that if they go and drop a storm a category or two that people stop taking it seriously.

It felt a little like they were caught in two minds after Cuba. Drop to the true intensity and risk people not heeding warnings, or stubbornly forecast rapid intensification and risk being wrong.

Yes, its not easy....you have to balance the conflicting responsibilities of converying meteorological data both in an accurate manner, and a way that will elicit action and save lives.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes, its not easy....you have to balance the conflicting responsibilities of converying meteorological data both in an accurate manner, and a way that will elicit action and save lives.

Lines of cars right now from Macon Ga to Orlando headed south, hope they can find gas with no power on. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thought of our long ago talks, about how the ass end of N moving Gulf systems always get chewed off,after it went over the Keys, and sure enough. It was at that point I knew Tampa etc would not get meteotsunami backside surge.That is what saved this from becoming epic.

Another reason a Miami LF would have been worse....lower latitude, less mid latitude influences.

I stayed up until 4am watching it go over Barbuda, all one could do was refresh the page of the 1 Bouy and the 1 Station until they got blown out.  I'm glad I did, as after seeing what occurred there, it was the least I can do to honor them.  Entire Roofs ripped off.  Island deemed useless.  My god.  HOW Lucky Florida is that Irma  termed late, because Haddad turned earlier it would have been CAT 5 into Miami's rear-end.  

Still no word on my close friends house in Little Torch Key.  That could be Very very bad news.  

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Great Write-Up and Prediction.  I knew that all types of Satellite imagery was terrible compared to its 185mph days before Barbuda and days after, but because the Radar still looked so fantastic after Cuba, I thought "Oh, I guess like Snowstorms, I've learned you can't trust how crappy something looks on all types of imagery.  Just go by the radar as it takes a while for the crappiness to trickle down to the actual storm."  But that is not the case.  I mean, it was starting to look crappy before Cuba, to the point where one in landfall as a CAT 5 there, I Swore it was the WORST looking CAT 5 I'd ever seen.  But it look until later for it to finally lose its 190mph+ potential it had.  

14 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Well and all related obviously. The outflow from Irma is building the ridge to its north, enhancing the jet streak off the Northeast, which is fueling low pressure development near the Maritimes, which is blocking Jose from going anywhere and causing the multi-day loop in the Atlantic. 

it's funny actually you mentioned this because I was wondering yesterday if maybe some of that late track (< than 3 day lead ) adjusting west that went on might have had to so with some of that alley-oop ridging that was tossed out by Irma yea - ...That superposition sometimes corrects cold coastals west for storms that are transcontinental ..not so much for the coastal plain detonators, ...no.. But a solid deep layer wave with Colorado cyclone model low rippling east will sometimes correct more NW by that latency effect - interesting.

I assume FEMA is not hyping when they say 25% of homes in Fl Keys are destroyed?  I guess that's not a surprise given the direct hit they took but seems high since not all Keys got hit as hard.  Whatever, sucks either way. 

Still over 6 million homes w/o power, that's no fun when it's 90F and humid but I imagine that number will be halved in the next few days. 

Archived