joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well...  not for not, that would achieve the deepest barometric pressure of any storm in Basin history since science and man came together and started taking note of such thing.

Wilma was several mb shallower ... Wilma was also a much smaller entity when she hit that depth; Irma there at D 7 is about twice her circumvallate.  The integrated energy of that beast would probably have to rival any storm in world's history.

Hell, even that Typhoon Tip that I borrowed for my moniker was 870 so ... getting to stone's throw of that - sheezus.  altho tip attained truly enormous size and would engulf this D 7 model depiction a couple times over.  however, local to climo in that part of the basin, i just wonder what the SD is for that modeled depth is - 

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Who?  Tip called you on your BS implicating him in that group when he was clearly talking NYC LF.  But who said we get crushed with a lower MA up to Chesapeake LF?

Only area crushed would be surge on the south coast, winds inland according to the 18 Z GFS soundings barely gust to 35

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

well...  not for not, that would achieve the deepest barometric pressure of any storm in Basin history since science and man came together and started taking note of such thing.

Wilma was several mb shallower ... Wilma was also a much smaller entity when she hit that depth; Irma there at D 7 is about twice her circumvallate.  The integrated energy of that beast would probably have to rival any storm in world's history.

Hell, even that Typhoon Tip that I borrowed for my moniker was 870 so ... getting to stone's throw of that - sheezus.  altho tip attained truly enormous size and would engulf this D 7 model depiction a couple times over.  however, local to climo in that part of the basin, i just wonder what the SD is for that modeled depth is - 

Wilma was 882

If anyone wants to vet these further...by all means

Most intense Atlantic hurricanes

Rank  Hurricane Pressure

1  Wilma          2005  882     26.05

2  Gilbert          1988  888    26.23

3  "Labor Day"  1935  892    26.34

4  Rita              2005  895   26.43

5  Allen            1980   899   26.55

6  Camille        1969   900   26.58

7  Katrina         2005  902   26.64

Source: HURDAT[1]

If Irma gets to 878 ...she takes numero uno

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Depending on I K E. A 878 is a wave making machine. I  wouldn't doubt there was a 3 to 5 foot surge and oh hey there is a full moon next week and tides are high all week.

But that would not do much damage.  Unless a home is within 10 feet of the high tide line and don't codes prevent that?

Just now, weathafella said:

But that would not do much damage.  Unless a home is within 10 feet of the high tide line and don't codes prevent that?

Barrier islands will get it bad, new regulations are 14 feet high for any new construction but so many remain. Misquamicut had a 5 foot surge in Sandy and it was destroyed but winds were an issue for that. As modeled this aint no Sandy up here.

Going to end my Irma posts with one last one from Bryan Norcross.  I think he sums it up good...  Some excerpts...

The weather pattern that is expected to steer Irma when the storm is within striking distance of the East Coast is notoriously very difficult to forecast. This accounts for the constant changes in the long-range models. While a big dip in the jet stream is anticipated over the East, which will deflect Irma north, the future evolution of that dip is unknown. High pressure building across the Canada over the top of the dip makes the future steering very uncertain. Literally, anything is possible.

There is NO credible forecast that can tell us who will be threatened on the U.S. East Coast, if anybody. There are too many variables in play. For now, enjoy the weekend, and be sure you're ready to take action if necessary. We wouldn't expect a U.S. hurricane threat until the end of next week.

Big difference @ h5 on Euro vs 18z GFS, so very understandable why the ots vs inland hit.  Atlantic ridge on GFS is bulging westward, while it is lifting out on Euro.  Also, ridge over MI on Euro @ 1026 mb vs ridge over Quebec on GFS @ 1031 mb.  North and east exits blocked on GFS.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=atl&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2017090212&fh=192&xpos=0&ypos=164

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=atl&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2017090218&fh=186

Archived