Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

It seems to me that the Euro did this at 12z yesterday, too, and then reversed at 00z.  Such consistency.

And we've never seen the 12z/00z yo-yo before?

Consistency does not equal accuracy. At this range, we have a strong model signal, but the Euro run is no less meteorlogically valid than the GFS or any of its own ensemble members. This run is within the envelope of solutions it offered on the 00z EPS run, so there is no reason to toss it.

Interesting Euro run.  Irma is further SW as she approaches Florida and looks like she is heading right into S Florida.  Hard right and then NNE off the coast and then rounds the bend well south of Hatteras ENE out to sea.  Spares the US other than high surf.  It's going to be a long week of model watching and nail biting for many coastal residents.  I thought we were going to see a continued shift west or sw with the models but not so.

Also I was noting all day that Irma seemed to be tracking north of forecasted positions.  However in lastest vis a big jog south....

Edit....  With this 12Z Euro run if that north veer was delayed then a big impact on the East Coast of Florida...

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Interesting Euro run.  Irma is further SW as she approaches Florida and looks like she is heading right into S Florida.  Hard right and then NNE off the coast and then rounds the bend well south of Hatteras ENE out to sea.  Spares the US other than high surf.  It's going to be a long week of model watching and nail biting for many coastal residents.  I thought we were going to see a continued shift west or sw with the models but not so.

Also I was noting all day that Irma seemed to be tracking north of forecasted positions.  However in lastest vis a big jog south....

Edit....  With this 12Z Euro run if that north veer was delayed then a big impact on the East Coast of Florida...

With the clustering analysis the faster, northern solutions actually deepened more through day 6 than the rest. So there is that. 

16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Consistency does not equal accuracy. At this range, we have a strong model signal, but the Euro run is no less meteorlogically valid than the GFS or any of its own ensemble members. This run is within the envelope of solutions it offered on the 00z EPS run, so there is no reason to toss it.

yeah .. .warned of that earlier, to be leery of faux accuracy by way of coalescing there in the 'linas this far out in time. 

14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

You're making a lot of assumptions here that were not stated.  First of all, we've never seen the Charlie Brown/Lucy effect before???  I thought we were still 8 days out, not at the last minute here.

No one said the Euro is less meteorologically valid than any other model, and no one said to toss it.

21 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Assuming Irma ends up THAT far south I don't think there is any chance in hell it would miss the US.  I do think the Euro is too far south though from Day 4-7 which if assuming all things the same over the US and NE Canada Irma probably misses easily as it would probably be 100-200 miles further north of Florida to begin with 

2 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

You're making a lot of assumptions here that were not stated.  First of all, we've never seen the Charlie Brown/Lucy effect before???  I thought we were still 8 days out, not at the last minute here.

No one said the Euro is less meteorologically valid than any other model, and no one said to toss it.

You made a consistency argument with the Euro. Consistency really offers nothing at this range, besides eye candy.

My point is that models can show a landfall right up to a couple days out and this could still find a way to change significantly or even avoid a landfall at all. So far today not much has changed at all. The EPS is so far holding serve, with no major shifts in track through day 5. 

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I made the mistake of wading into the main forum. 

Euro is wrong. EPS shifted west, so now that's right. GFS is the most consistent model. 

I'm just rooting on the full whiff at this point, out of spite. :devilsmiley:

As you said, "consistency really offers nothing at this range, besides eye candy".

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Euro is wrong. EPS shifted west, so now that's right. GFS is the most consistent model. 

I'm just rooting on the full whiff at this point, out of spite. :devilsmiley:

The wishcasting on an event a week away is mind-boggling in some ways.  Anything out-to-sea is wrong, any model showing the largest impact is generally talked about as being more likely it seems.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The wishcasting on an event a week away is mind-boggling in some ways.  Anything out-to-sea is wrong, any model showing the largest impact is generally talked about as being more likely it seems.

I know we use the term "look" quite a bit, usually in terms of pattern recognition, but I do enjoy when people say the Euro "doesn't look right." Like based on what? Its handling of a feature that hasn't even developed yet, and won't for another 4 days?

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm just rooting on the full whiff at this point, out of spite:devilsmiley:

Welcome to my world...

although... I might replace 'spite' with just flat out justified necessity to cram BS down their throats.  But then what will happen?  The next time they'll re-engage all over having learned nothing - because frankly.. I'm strained not to wonder at times if these social media outlets that allow people to operate without faces, to them, gives them an outlet for their craziness. 

But I'm probably wrong...

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I know we use the term "look" quite a bit, usually in terms of pattern recognition, but I do enjoy when people say the Euro "doesn't look right." Like based on what? Its handling of a feature that hasn't even developed yet, and won't for another 4 days?

lol I love the nor'easter or storm threats where at 60 hours, after tracking it since day 10, some model goes full whiff and then you get the "that doesn't look right"... yeah no shiznit, it doesn't show a massive hit, that's what doesn't look right.

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I agree if you are within, say, 50 miles of the coast.  Most in the hinterlands don't have the threat of flooding, surge, etc,  (at least in the Northeast).   Trees and no power are the biggest threat. 

Are you discounting the Irene flooding because it wasn't a hurricane?  Flooding is always the biggest damage threat for New England.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah, because a hurricane has never turned right near the Bahamas and then curved parabolically seaward?

People want so desperately to get their endorphin rush that their grasping at threads there -

I actually don't remember one doing it from as far south and west as the Op Euro indicated.  I've definitely seen it occur further north or east in the Bahamas.   

Just now, powderfreak said:

lol I love the nor'easter threats where at 60 hours, after tracking it since day 10, some model goes full whiff and then you get the "that doesn't look right"... yeah no shiznit, it doesn't show a massive hit, that's what doesn't look right.

The fact that this Euro run whiffs doesn't mean it's wrong. It's entirely plausible. It may not be likely because of how it evolves (more a thread the needle whiff), but it could happen. 

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lookout Don

Getting REAL. really fast.
Alternate electric as in a Generac is being decided as I type. Either way I lose electric 3 times a month due to being on the end of transmission line. Problem could be getting it installed in time.
No hype yet from the local media. That's going to change quickly...looking down the barrel of a howitzer!      

Archived