Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I would like to know if there is any climatology integrated into these models for tropical systems beyond  ...so many hours.  It really seems like there is some other factor forcing the turn right when convention would almost force the intuitive guess for it to careen into Miami... It's trying to get closer every run without actually getting there...

IDK...good question but my guess would be no.  I feel like if there was climo induced we would probably see scores on tropical cyclone tracks in the medium/long-range much higher.  I mean every year we seem to see at least 2-3...probably maybe even like 4 systems in D7-10+ range in which at least one model either slams it into the Carolina's, NYC/NJ or into SNE.  If these verified for how many times they were shown we'd probably have nothing lol 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's becoming concerning that these tools are one by one falling into line with historic pressure depths. 

I am not sure what HMON physical equations are doing, but you can't plumb the surface pressure ...for all intents and purposes, to the 850 sigma level and keep the winds 190 mph -

857... jesus. First in Earth's history unless something may have happened before human prefrontal cortex became a geological force on this World anyway...

Well, these 890 to 900 MB solutions are horrific enough...

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

It's becoming concerning that these tools are one by one falling into line with historic pressure depths. 

I am not sure what HMON physical equations are doing, but you can't plumb the surface pressure ...for all intents and purposes, to the 850 sigma level and keep the winds 190 mph -

857... jesus. First in Earth's history unless something may have happened before human prefrontal cortex became a geological force on this World anyway...

Would be an amazement and excellent news for everyone to see this thing go to some historically deep record as a beautiful out-to-sea curvature hurricane.  Getting the historic low pressure while not actually ruining any lives would be a sweet outcome that I'm sure most would be rooting for.

28 minutes ago, Hazey said:

I found the weenie hurricane model. I knew there had to be one like the Nam is for snowstorms. It's the HMON. 857mb...lol. Tip might have to change his name to Irma.

That pressure was at the end of its 18z run @ hr 126 and had been strengthening steadily since hr 87 when it was @ 899 mb.  The width of Irma expanded markedly during that time, with hurricane force winds extending out almost 100 miles in all directions.  The hr 126 position was just east of San Salvador in the Bahamas.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hmon&region=11L&pkg=mslp_wind&runtime=2017090318&fh=87

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hmon&region=11L&pkg=mslp_wind&runtime=2017090318&fh=126&xpos=0&ypos=362

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What is the Atlantic record? 

Even if it wind still up OTS, if the pressure get to anything close to 857, that would be amazing to behold

-edit....nevermind...saw it in the main Irma thread

Previous runs of that model only go back to Friday @ 18z, but its forecast position for this time is in agreement latitude wise with where the last NHC position had it @ 00z, and longitude wise is about 60 miles east of the currently positioned center.  Its forecasted pressure was for 967 mb, vs 959 mb from NHC.  Not much to go on with just 2 days history, but just saying.  It will be interesting to follow how this model does with this 'cane.

Edit--The five day track on this puts it about 50-75 miles north of the NHC forecasted position on Friday @ 18z.

5 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
25 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:
That is a worst case scenario for Miami on that run with the 'cane coming due north just to their west.

Nothing on that run makes any sense. Red flags everywhere.

Well, the trough was weaker and did move out quicker, being replaced sooner with that western ridge to keep the exits N and E blocked.  The Gfs isn't the only model showing such low pressure, either.  The track isn't likely, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Archived