joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking of heading to NW CT but this is a rather intriguing setup.  You have a rather strong s/w with deepening cyclone pushing NW through Quebec...this alone is impressive b/c typically these cyclones will weaken as they push NE into and through Quebec.  Due to this further deepening, along with further amplification of the s/w trough, the responses is for winds aloft to 1) remain quite strong and 2) become further favorable for supercells storms, mainly embedded within the QLCS, however, discrete is still possible ahead of the line.  Despite the loss of daytime heating the atmosphere should remain fairly unstable into the late evening as mid-level lapse rates steepen in responses to the amplifying shortwave trough.  As this activity approaches western MA/western CT the potential for strong to severe t'storms should increase/exist over the next 2-4 hours.  The environment is also favorable for a tornado as well.  I just wonder if this activity ends up outrunning the stronger mid-level jet support?  

Is anyone familiar with the upgraded version of bufkit?  I still get my profiles the difficult way...I go to the PSU site, right click on the station I want, and save it into the bufkit data folder, and then open it with bufkit.  I can never get bufget to work.  Anyways, I tried getting the 21z BDL HRRR data.  It doesn't display BDL in my station box, only OSU but on top it says BDL.  I'm assuming this is BDL data though.  I just want to make sure this is BDL...WHY ISN'T IT SHOWING UP IN THE STATION BOX???

599cbc040a2c7_newbufkit.thumb.jpg.d475a72735c696ccdeddf37046a7ae95.jpg

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Looks like Pfreak is having some fun.

Great lightning and some decent rain rates (though only looks like a half inch at best, eyeballing the gauge from the living room) but almost no wind. 

I'd say it was a solid t-storm line but nothing overly exciting.  Still, the garden will take the water.

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We all hope we wake up to that in our yards 

They look like the winners out of this one.

Can't imagine like Central Park or Boston Commons looking like that.

I will say, I was rooting for some better wind, but at the same time I'm happy I have power this evening.  I always think back to my best severe storm back in July 2013 when we saw 60-70mph winds and widespread tree damage that left me without power for 2.5 days.  That was exciting but even by the next morning the lack of power was very old.  By the end of that day (going into the second night without power) we had to toss everything in the refrigerator and freezer, though I was able to salvage some stuff by going to the store every 6 hours to buy bags of ice.

Was an experience and every time we don't get a severe storm, I console myself with the fact that I'm not driving to Shaws to buy bags of ice and living in the dark.

32 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It might just go to my north ughh.  ANd WHY IS ENX STILL DOWN?????? 

NOUS61 KALY 211839
FTMENX

MESSAGE DATE:  AUG 21 2017 18:39:37

THE KENX RADAR WILL LIKELY BE DOWN THROUGH AT LEAST FRIDAY SEPTEMBER
1ST FOR THE BULL GEAR REPLACEMENT.  WE ARE WAITING FOR A ROC
MAINTENANCE TEAM AND PARTS T O ARRIVE TO ASSIST LOCAL TECHNICIANS
WITH THE REPAIRS.  -TAW/SND

yeah, poor timing to be sure

6 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

NOUS61 KALY 211839
FTMENX

MESSAGE DATE:  AUG 21 2017 18:39:37

THE KENX RADAR WILL LIKELY BE DOWN THROUGH AT LEAST FRIDAY SEPTEMBER
1ST FOR THE BULL GEAR REPLACEMENT.  WE ARE WAITING FOR A ROC
MAINTENANCE TEAM AND PARTS T O ARRIVE TO ASSIST LOCAL TECHNICIANS
WITH THE REPAIRS.  -TAW/SND

yeah, poor timing to be sure

Bull gear is just about the worst radar failure one can have.

Archived