Newest Member
    joxey
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

with DPs this high ...LCLs may be a bit lower - that helps draw rotation down too

Rotation is not drawn down. By definition a tornado/mesocyclone is a rotating updraft and thus it forms upward.

5 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Rotation is not drawn down. By definition a tornado/mesocyclone is a rotating updraft and thus it forms upward.

When condensation occurs the adiabatic heat exchange adds mechanical buoyancy to the air mass parcel, which imparts a upward vertical acceleration - when that happens lower in the atmosphere, any tendency to rotate will get concentrated due to the stretching of the rotating column - which takes place closer to the surface with lower LCLs.

I was saying 'drawn down' to simplify that example ...

Another cell formed 30 minutes ago SW of Plymouth NH.  I seem to be on the edge of mostly sunny to the south and rapidly building cells just over me.  The sky was very dark to my NW so quickly drove to the hilltop to see the base.  On the SW edge there was a substancial lowering but because of the trees I couldn't see the exact base.  That cell has now moved north past Plymouth.

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Wow. Family just drove through there on the way to OOB for the week. They missed that stuff. Actually looked a little sunny when they got there. 

Remnants from that cell just moved thru here with a brief downpour but that was it.

Archived