Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

jburns

3 hours ago, TellicoWx said:

It would be awesome to get clear skies on the Cherohala Skyway. One of the overlooks near 3000' has a view of Knoxville and the whole valley below on a clear day. The centerline passes over the state line there. Love to see pics of the shadow crossing the valley floor from there.

My dad and I have been on the edge of either staying in Tellico Plains on the field or braving the skyway. Viewing it from such a place would be awe inspiring. With that of course comes the perils of almost no parking and lack of facilities. If we do attempt to stop on the skyway we will try to get there before dawn and settle on a mountain bald. We will probably decide the night before in Etowah at our room. Of course all it takes is a rogue mountain cloud to ruin the skyway plan. (Jeffs input noted.) Decisions, decisions, we shall see...

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAH from last night:

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...
As of 310 AM Friday...

Sunday will begin with a frontal zone along the NC coastline and
continental high pressure moving into the area from the northwest.
This should give us very low precipitation chances for Sunday and
keep flow very stagnant over the area with very little forcing aloft
or at the surface. A similar pattern in place for Monday but the
offshore surface high becomes a bit more dominant, meaning southerly
return flow increases and potentially some more clouds and shower
activity but lagging continental high to the north should keep us
relatively dry and hopefully keep cloud cover suitable enough for
eclipse viewing.

15 minutes ago, StormyClearweather said:

Well the 12Z NAM/GFS aren't looking so great, at least IMBY. Let's hope that changes.

Yep not sure what to make of it. We may have to wait until the morning of the event to feel more at ease (or not). 

It's kind of strange tracking models in hope of cloud free conditions.  

Latest from RAH:

On Monday we`ll see heights rise as the ridge off the SE coast builds northward. The sfc pattern will be fairly typical for this
time of year with the sfc high over the western Atlantic promoting a southerly low level flow over our area.  Forecast soundings show a
notable inversion around H7 with dry air in the mid-levels, and in
some cases (particularly across our southern and eastern counties) a
fair amount of moisture above H4.  Thus with heating, the forecast
soundings suggest a decent amount of shallow cu may form below the
inversion across much of central NC as the afternoon progresses.  To
make matters worse, the soundings also suggest a veil of cirrus, esp
the farther south you go.  If there is any good news, these
soundings do not support rain or deep convection, so will keep PoPs
well below climo for Monday.  So in summary for the eclipse weather,
neither clear nor completely overcast, but rather partly cloudy with
cu briefly obscuring the sun at times, along with some high clouds.
Keep in mind that if you spend any substantial time outside, be
ready for highs in the low-mid 90s with heat index values in the
upper 90s.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Howdy SE friends. I'll be in Greenville as of Sunday night and plan to head to Easley the morning of pending weather of course. I'm cautiously optimistic on cloud cover. Anyone get euro output that can chime in?

The Euro seems like the best outlook for SC at the moment

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/south-carolina/total-cloud-coverage/20170821-1800z.html

19 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Ah great link! Thanks! Never going to complain when the euro is on our side. Clear skies!

Not quite showing clear skies for upstate SC now, but certainly looking better than down closer to the coast.   I will likely be somewhere near Laurens for the eclipse.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I ditched Santee and got a last minute reservation just outside Greenville. Driving down now and hoping the forecast holds. 

I've been watching the forecast from GSP all week.  You definitely made a good call in adjusting.  I'm going to be in Hartwell tomorrow night and leave myself in position to slightly relocate if clouds are a problem on Monday.  GSP seems very confident the boundary front will remain in the lowlands to midlands at best at the time of the eclipse. 

I considered taking my motorcycle on this trip since it can manuver through traffic like a boss but the possible excessive amount of people on the roadways may make the roads near the center a death trap for a bike. 

33 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

We're not! They've put up billboards that say " don't eclipse and drive" ! 

I don't think people understand the magnitude of the traffic congestion that's about to unfold!

I'm glad to be driving in from the south if some of these predictions are true. I'm glad I have a hotel in totality but south of the centerline. At least these are my calculations.  I could end up being way wrong. 

Archived