Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

jburns

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Plan A: Keep it simple and drive up US-27 or Hwy-58 from Chattanooga into totality. No I-75, lol. While I could go for a mountain view the risk of something silly going wrong like traffic, road blocks, or dueling banjos weighs. 

Plan B: If the weather forecast looks questionable, I mean any doubt, head toward St Joe, MO or farther the day(s) prior. If I-24 is a total zoo I will stair step it on any paved roads. All Means Necessary!

I do recommend a plan B. Even a small cloud at those precious 2 minutes would destroy the corona effect. Still get the darkness and even sunset/sunrise effects on the horizon, but not the total eclipse package.

• 2 weeks later...

Still unsure how and where I will view the eclipse but for sure you need to be where you are gonna be in the mountains the night before.

i did read where tickets to Clingmans Dome are already sold out

One option is Bryson City where the Great Smokey Mountains Railroad will run an eclipse train east to Dillsboro NC

http://www.gsmr.com/events/solar-eclipse#.WUgpsfkpCf0

• 2 weeks later...

I am becoming more concerned on what the traffic will be like on the major roads going into the areas of totality

Traffic likely will be worse after the eclipse as everyone will want to leave the areas at the same time 

No one can say for sure exacstly how many people will make the trip into areas such as SC.

The key is to try to avoid the interstates if at all possible.

13 hours ago, nchighcountrywx said:

I am becoming more concerned on what the traffic will be like on the major roads going into the areas of totality

Traffic likely will be worse after the eclipse as everyone will want to leave the areas at the same time 

No one can say for sure exacstly how many people will make the trip into areas such as SC.

The key is to try to avoid the interstates if at all possible.

I'm getting a hotel room the night before and after. No reason to risk it, and a nice mini-vacation in August to boot.

34 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I have a cheapo airbnb booked near lake murray in SC. If the weather looks like ****e I will have to abandon that and find a backup.

I was thinking about lake  hartwell myself even though i only live 10 minutes  away from totality. Regardless i don't care how far I have to drive if the weather is bad. I've been waiting for this since I was a kid. At the time my mom totally screwed me and wouldn't even let me near a window because she thought even looking out it could blind me...lol...I love her to death but I've been mad at her  for decades over that. 

But man will I be pissed if there is a hurricane or something 

I was thinking about lake  hartwell myself even though i only live 10 minutes  away from totality. Regardless i don't care how far I have to drive if the weather is bad. I've been waiting for this since I was a kid. At the time my mom totally screwed me and wouldn't even let me near a window because she thought even looking out it could blind me...lol...I love her to death but I've been mad at her  for decades over that. 

But man will I be pissed if there is a hurricane or something 

Yeah climo would say even better odds toward Clemson.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

On 7/17/2017 at 9:38 AM, eyewall said:

I have a cheapo airbnb booked near lake murray in SC. If the weather looks like ****e I will have to abandon that and find a backup.

SC may have some of the worst climo odds for good conditions, but I like that you can follow I-26 along the centerline for 150 miles without losing more than 15 seconds of totality, in case any localized cloudiness needs to be evaded.

SC may have some of the worst climo odds for good conditions, but I like that you can follow I-26 along the centerline for 150 miles without losing more than 15 seconds of totality, in case any localized cloudiness needs to be evaded.

Yeah i am very nervous about the climo alone.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I am nervous about traffic. My biggest fear is being unable to move away from a small cloud due to traffic. So I will be very picky on the weather and very willing to travel. Ideally though, it is a 30 minute ride into totality for me from CHA.

Plan to go early with water, food, sunscreen, simple eclipse glasses, book(s), playing cards and/or a board game to pass time. I have no risk tolerance for traffic and last minute positioning. 

No plans to photograph or use special equipment. Glasses will be for diamond ring stages in and out. Otherwise pinhole/shadowbox for partial stages. In totality I plan to just soak it all in when it is safe to view naked eye. 

Eclipse blogs recommend no fumbling around with equipment for several reasons. Risk of missing totality weighs. Photos never do it justice anyway. Let the media do that. Finally you'll remember it better not photographing. I believe them. My best mental memories of tornadoes are the ones I did not photograph.

6 minutes ago, jburns said:

We've got ours as well.  Now if I don't forget to put them in the car.......

:lol:    Don't worry, I have a couple extra ;)    On another note.....I can't believe the amount of people that have asked what the glasses are for. When I tell them it's for looking at the eclipse from beginning to end, they are like...I thought we could see it, I don't understand....sigh. 

1 hour ago, jburns said:

We've got ours as well.  Now if I don't forget to put them in the car.......

My concern as well, lol.  Though a lot of towns/cities in the path are ordering glasses so hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult to find a pair.

7 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

:lol:    Don't worry, I have a couple extra ;)    On another note.....I can't believe the amount of people that have asked what the glasses are for. When I tell them it's for looking at the eclipse from beginning to end, they are like...I thought we could see it, I don't understand....sigh. 

What did you get?

Archived