Welcome to American Weather
jburns

Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

62 posts in this topic

It is just over 3 months away now.  Prime viewing in our area so what are your plans? A possibility of a meet-up? Wife and I plan on being somewhere inside the totality belt. At my age, this could be my last one. What are your plans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jburns said:

It is just over 3 months away now.  Prime viewing in our area so what are your plans? A possibility of a meet-up? Wife and I plan on being somewhere inside the totality belt. At my age, this could be my last one. What are your plans?

Just another day. I'm in the totallity belt , I believe. It'll just like a cloud crossed the sun for a few minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of my family has reservations at a campground in Columbia. I'll try my best to be there. Even thou it's just a few minutes long, it would be a shame to miss something so cool.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jburns said:

It is just over 3 months away now.  Prime viewing in our area so what are your plans? A possibility of a meet-up? Wife and I plan on being somewhere inside the totality belt. At my age, this could be my last one. What are your plans?

I was just talking about this yesterday.  No plans as of yet.

 

ga-sc.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Just another day. I'm in the totallity belt , I believe. It'll just like a cloud crossed the sun for a few minutes. 

Nope. I've been in one total eclipse. It's special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be in St Matthews on the farm trying not to screw up one good picture during the 2 minutes and 35 seconds of totality  :P   You guys are welcome to join us :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I will be in St Matthews on the farm trying not to screw up one good picture during the 2 minutes and 35 seconds of totality  :P   You guys are welcome to join us :) 

 

If you are serious we just might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I think we're gonna pack up and head toward the Greenville area.

Another good spot.  A few miles can make the difference so be sure and check some detailed maps on the area of totality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jburns said:

Another good spot.  A few miles can make the difference so be sure and check some detailed maps on the area of totality.

Good point.  I will be sure to look at it in detail as we near the event.  Definitely want to get in the 100% zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jburns said:

If you are serious we just might.

I am serious  :lol:   It's the farm where my son in law (and his family) have worked for many, many, many years. There's honestly nothing there but peanuts, cotton and tractors   :) 

11 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I think we're gonna pack up and head toward the Greenville area.

Anderson/Greenwood wouldn't be as crowded as Greenville I don't think. Ninety Six historical site made my short list of places I'd travel to for this ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I am serious  :lol:   It's the farm where my son in law (and his family) have worked for many, many, many years. There's honestly nothing there but peanuts, cotton and tractors   :) 

 

1

OK,  Let's make it a tentative date.  I am just planning on getting up really early and driving down that day and back afterward.  Google says 4 hour drive.  I will allow much more due to the unusual traffic. I'll avoid passing through Charlotte and Columbia by coming down through Rockingham and then taking Rt 1 and 601.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jburns said:

OK,  Let's make it a tentative date.  I am just planning on getting up really early and driving down that day and back afterward.  Google says 4 hour drive.  I will allow much more due to the unusual traffic. I'll avoid passing through Charlotte and Columbia by coming down through Rockingham and then taking Rt 1 and 601.

Sweet! :D   It's just under 4 hrs taking the interstate, speeding under 10 over, and 1 pit stop...lol. #1 and #601 will be a pretty drive ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I am serious  :lol:   It's the farm where my son in law (and his family) have worked for many, many, many years. There's honestly nothing there but peanuts, cotton and tractors   :) 

Anderson/Greenwood wouldn't be as crowded as Greenville I don't think. Ninety Six historical site made my short list of places I'd travel to for this ;)

I hear Simpsonville is nice!!!??? We are almost dead center of totality path!! Hope it don't shift like a Euro snow map! :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I hear Simpsonville is nice!!!??? We are almost dead center of totality path!! Hope it don't shift like a Euro snow map! :(

Yes it is!  :lol:   Cedar falls Park is one of my favorites in the area :wub: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im trying to find a good spot to capture the shadow moving across the landscape...so I'm probably heading to the Smokies.  Sucks that the tower on Clingman is off limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

I think we're gonna pack up and head toward the Greenville area.

Let me know if you do make it down. I'll buy you a drink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jburns said:

Nope. I've been in one total eclipse. It's special.

Absolutely, the only total eclipse I have seen was when I was a wee lad in Eastern NC on March 7, 1970.  It definitely made an impression on me; I remember it well.  I don't have a game plan yet for the upcoming eclipse, I do have visions of epic traffic jams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

Absolutely, the only total eclipse I have seen was when I was a wee lad in Eastern NC on March 7, 1970.  It definitely made an impression on me; I remember it well.  I don't have a game plan yet for the upcoming eclipse, I do have visions of epic traffic jams.

Remember it well. Second grade with shadow boxes and pieces of dark film. Tracked right up the east coast with Raleigh close to the best total track. I think it was slightly east of us though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

Remember it well. Second grade with shadow boxes and pieces of dark film. Tracked right up the east coast with Raleigh close to the best total track. I think it was slightly east of us though.

Yes, it was a bit east of Raleigh; my father loaded us into the family truckster and we went to somewhere near Clinton to experience totality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

I'll be headed to the Greenville area as well.  I'd love to meet up with some of you guys headed that way for the event. 

Let me know. Greenville is a great place 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.