Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, USCG RS said:

I am very aware of that. What I am saying is this does not quite look set in stone yet. I still. Believe we correct East a bit, but before issuing a Blizzard Warning, they may wait one cycle with the temp profiles and how tucked in these models are beginning to show. That being said, the Euro has the better resolution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

They are prob waiting on the Euro to decide what they are gonna do with snow amounts. 

Yes and visibility also matters too though.  You need visibility to 1/4 mile or less for 3 hours or longer.

And sustained winds or frequent gusts to 35mph during this three hr period

EDIT : Didn't see the wind had been talked about earlier. Apologies

5 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

And sustained winds or frequent gusts to 35mph during this three hr period

EDIT : Didn't see the wind had been talked about earlier. Apologies

the biggest story with this system could be the wind, and absolutely nobody's talking about it.

once again... 60 to 80 knot winds at 925mb....at 42 hours. 

9 minutes ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

the biggest story with this system could be the wind, and absolutely nobody's talking about it.

once again... 60 to 80 knot winds at 925mb....at 42 hours. 

That's why you don't want a hugger like the Ukmet shows, its scenario would wreak havoc on the coast. Major coastal flooding with those winds is far more destructive than a 12-18" snowstorm. 

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Ukie is basically a cold rainstorm if it's in the mid 30s during the entire event, what a massive bust that would be. 

Better hope the Euro looks more like the GGEM than the Ukmet.

The 850 Low stays SE of NYC the whole time. The 0C 850 line touches Queens. It's mostly snow with a touch of sleet for the NYC Metropolitan Area. East of there has Rain/Sleet/Snow.

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Ukie is basically a cold rainstorm if it's in the mid 30s during the entire event, what a massive bust that would be. 

Better hope the Euro looks more like the GGEM than the Ukmet.

The Euro may not pick up on sleet mixing in even if it has the same track as the RGEM.  I've seen cases before where it'll show all snow while the high res models pick up on the mid level mixing better.  The surface temps won't be an issue except maybe eastern LI for a time.  With heavy precip falling NYC will likely hold around 31-33.   I had mentioned similarities to January 87 and that is what happened that day despite a 060-080 wind over 40mph at times.

2 minutes ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

The 850 Low stays SE of NYC the whole time. The 0C 850 line touches Queens. It's mostly snow with a touch of sleet for the NYC Metropolitan Area. East of there has Rain/Sleet/Snow.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The Euro may not pick up on sleet mixing in even if it has the same track as the RGEM.  I've seen cases before where it'll show all snow while the high res models pick up on the mid level mixing better.  The surface temps won't be an issue except maybe eastern LI for a time.  With heavy precip falling NYC will likely hold around 31-33.   I had mentioned similarities to January 87 and that is what happened that day despite a 060-080 wind over 40mph at times.

Deep breaths everyone

Archived