Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

18 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I don't blame them. We had a shift at 12z with the Euro suite and another shift in that model and/or others may or may not be coming at 0z with all the new data coming in

The EPS seems to indicate that Euro was a blip run

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't ever recall a blizzard watch.  If anyone remembers maybe it could be jan 15? 

I dont put much stock on the Nam.  I think the next model that matters will be 18z then 0z GFS.  Any kind of move to the euro op...if the GFS has keying to much on the northern stream and phases, as a result of its bias, then now backs off, the east movement may yet haunt us.  The eps didn't really make that go away out of mind.  

I don't want to do the jinx and bad luck thing but I really think it's a bit quick to pull a blizz watch.  Because of the above.  Trying to be objective here.  

19 minutes ago, nyblizz44 said:

Folks remember what a Watch enables UPTON to do: they still have the option to adjust a warning as late as tomorrow night ( which would give public enough time) down to as low as 6-10 inches should the storm brush us or too much mixing occurs. Personally, I like their move to let the public know early on the mamoth potential which is still on the table.

The thing is in this day of social media, most people pay more attention to that than anything else.  And there's been extreme forecast totals out there on social media anyway.

1 minute ago, SnowBlitzkrieg said:

Upton was playing catch-up with the last two storms. They had incredibly low accumulation forecasts for the January 7th storm right up until the morning of, and did the same thing with the February blizzard. I assume that has something to do with such a bullish call so early.

They have two full days to nudge up

5 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Agree, I think watches go up at 4 pm today, with such a high impact storm and with high confidence in at least warning criteria snowfall.  Want to get out ahead of this one.  I wouldn't think blizzard watches will go up, though, until they have more confidence in dynamics/winds.  

Half right.  Surprised Upton went with the blizzard watches and the 12-18" accumulations this early.  8-12" seemed like a better bet, to me, but they're the experts...

1 minute ago, nesussxwx said:

Depends on what maps you are using.

Tidbits show it west.

SV has it east.

So what are your views? All this waffling is hard to take. I'm out on sick leave, so it won't matter to me, and the eldest is on spring break, so we'll be ok, but what about people who have to travel or work? I already had two appts canceled for Tues.

Archived