Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Even this far east Euro run was still a very nice event from the city and especially east (8-12" and up to 18" down the NJ shore), so it goes to show that I-95 has a good amount of wiggle room to salvage a nice event. The far NW burbs though would get shafted for sure if that Euro was right. 

That would still be historic for March, and a real surprise given this abnormally warm winter

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I still would favor a more tucked in track vs. well offshore-there's a ton of energy rotating in, and the baroclinic zone should be near land with the cold ground/warm ocean. Coastal storms this year have also made late trends north/west. But there are still many solutions possible, and it goes to show that it's still premature to put out forecast amounts and throw around "historic", "blizzard", etc. If things come together right like the Euro did last night, we would have widespread 12-18"+, but I'd say we're 24 hrs away from nailing that down. 

So we basically have 12z GFS/ 12z GEFS/ 12z GGEM/ 12z UK/ 12z EPS vs 12z Euro Not to mention previous runs of the Euro and EPS argue against it too.

The problem with calling for a historic storm is that the pattern is progressive and this doesn't seem like a 24+ hr storm anymore.

12z roundup

3/11 12z

SREF: 

NAM:  mix to rain - snow : (western most model) / QPF: 

PNAM: mix to hvy snow / QPF:  1.25 - 1.50 
GFS: Mostly snow / QPF:  1.00 - 1.10 (Snow 6 - 12")

GEFS: mosly snow / QPF: 1.00 - 1.15 

GGEM: hvy snow / QPF: 1.10 1.25 (Snow 10" - 18") 
UKMET: hvy snow / QPF: N/A)
ECM: snow / QPF: 0.75 - 1.05 (6 - 12")

EPS: hvy snow :   QPF: 1.05 - 1.25 

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It has to do with where the QPF maxes are, which shift around each run.

Yeah it looks like model noise lol 1" or 0.1 LE difference.  The newer EPS mean had the qpf max in monmouth county, vs NE NJ in the older run.  I wish those colors were more distinct, but it looks like 12" on the mean vs 11" on the mean for us in the old run.  That's a lot considering the smoothed nature of the mean.

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Out of range but srefs are well west of euro, and slight west of 12z GFS 

Billy, do you have the map of the cluster of the individual ensembles members of the 12z GEFS? I just looked through my downloads and the most recent one I have is from the 0z run :( 

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Good :) now maybe we can compare it to the individual ensemble members from the 12z GEFS like we did last night with the 0z runs.  I can't find the map of the 12z GEFS members though, looks like no one posted it.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=us&pkg=lowlocs&runtime=2017031112&fh=90&xpos=0&ypos=49

Archived