Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

We live in interesting weather times..  I remember in March 93 the day before that storm not understanding how it could be 45 degrees.  Now, it seems routine (twice at least this year) that its been near or above 60 the day before measurable snow.

I think Don S. posted somewhere how this winter has set some sort of record for accumulating snowfalls on the day after a 60+ day.  Impressive to say the least! 

4 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Have we had a storm that has even rivaled the 1993 superstorm as far as energy and number of states impacted? I remember it was sleeting in Tampa at the time.

No, it definitely earned its name of storm of the century. I remember the low off the GA coast and it was already snowing up this way. I mean Birmingham AL got a foot, in March. 960 mb readings in New England

Just now, Rtd208 said:

I wouldn't necessarily consider 12-18 hours run of the mill, but this certainly has the potential to be a long duration event. 

The length of the event will be determined by whether a CCB really develops and if the upper low can capture the surface low and slow it down. Right now most models get the snow through by early afternoon, so it lasts from roughly 3z to 18z or so Tue. It will snow like crazy in that time but it'll be moving.

9 minutes ago, rogue said:

That may be not good for some coastal areas (i.e. eastern half of LI?).

Eastern half of LI has always been in play for a changeover. Just west of that and the coastal front should be where we see the greatest accumulations. Also there could be a secondary maximum with any Deform that remains semi stationary. Usually 50 miles west of the first maximum. Early guess would be western LI for the primary maximum and Ne jers up into the LHV for the secondary. I think we could have someone clear 30" like we saw in most of the biggies the last 10 years 

Archived