Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem VI

Typhoon Tip

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Truth be told/clarification ...desperately needed:  Friday's system is still present in the guidance.  It's just not presented as significant here in the proverbial collective-imby of the sub-forum bastion of users. 

That's a rub you just have to be adult and capable of being fair about.  If Friday comes to pass and there is nothing at all, like anywhere ...? That's a different story.

Just because the weather goes out of its way not to enable certain neurosis (heh) doesn't make for failure.  But, if folks can't see the logic there, they are not intellectually capable of even being responsible so it's futile to attempt to penetrate that kind if perspective of matters with any semblance of reason. 

Believe it or not,... the huge lower Manitoba blizzard that is about to seriously hammer southern Canada with 90 mph land based wind gusts over 30" of snow... (hyperbole) that is "the signal" that we were originally tracking some 12 days back.  It just didn't rub the right way closing in.  I get it that there is a spatial argument out there for correctly getting into the geographical regions...and I don't disagree; however, based upon the objective standard of deterministic weather forecasting these days, that criticism really doesn't do anything to diminish the value of first detecting a more favorable pattern for bigger events.  I don't think any winter enthusiast that is sane would argue, or attempt to do so, that now is not better than it was when it was 70 f'ckum five degrees last week or whenever that was - so... give credit where it is due. 

And, that sort of brings me to what Will sort of intimated a while ago, ' ...It would be a waste if nothing materializes over the next 10 days' - not sure what his exact words were, but that's the gist.  That's about all we can do... we parlay. That's how this works.  Forecast is always a crucible of probabilities...adding in and subtracting out relative absurdities and cooking up the most confident solution at that point in time - then subject to change. It's a game.  Question is, do the vagaries of the wind now actually score the coveted back-yard goal for having the apparent players lined up ... the answer is, no - because to the weather, as long as the goal is scored anywhere.  The question is, are you happening to be standing in the way when it does.   

Oh shut up. ...its a New England suforum.

Just shut up.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Matthew Gross said:

Two things to like today.

1) Friday's Clipper is looking juicier.

2) I actually think the Canadian's solution for next week isn't that outlandish with the way the Ukie and Euro are also crushing the energy with the second wave. If that gets trapped down south over the weekend and then waits for the third wave which comes out of the Plains early next week, there's a decent chance they hook up somewhere along the east coast. 

Welcome, good first post. I never buy the cmc but other guidance has the energy lurking with obv different solutions so the potential is there. 

No use for cold and dry this late in the year.  Nobody wants a second pond ice season. Lol

Actually I'll take it. Me and some buddies played a little shinny on the lake behind my house. Ice was surprisingly good all things considered. If it snows, that's great but if it doesn't then make the most out of the conditions at hand.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I'm a snowpack guy and we are getting into the time of year where that's not going to be a reality, Still have full coverage here but getting thin.

Still 22-23" at my place and more in the mountains.  The problem may be with the little seasonal brooks that are usually not bridged.  Must be a pain getting a slush shower with each dip in the trail.

Even if suppression rules the month in my area, I'd be happy if the SNJ grandkids get some serious snow to play in.  It's been a one-storm winter for them so far.

Heh, anything beyond 60 F is pushing the SD envelope/frequency so the models are likely to do one of two things for day 10:  have it be 80, or not see it... The odds of the models nailing a rarefied event like a pushed SD outlier at D 10 with very much accuracy strikes me as guess work. 

I suppose we can make 'educated guesses' that extremeness is plausible - sure...okay.  

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Still 22-23" at my place and more in the mountains.  The problem may be with the little seasonal brooks that are usually not bridged.  Must be a pain getting a slush shower with each dip in the trail.

Even if suppression rules the month in my area, I'd be happy if the SNJ grandkids get some serious snow to play in.  It's been a one-storm winter for them so far.

Yeah, Brooks are starting to open up, Water bars and mud holes in the middle of trails as well as some logging road crossings that are mud so that becomes issues this time of year.

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, Brooks are starting to open up, Water bars and mud holes in the middle of trails as well as some logging road crossings that are mud so that becomes issues this time of year.

Really ... it was just 0 to 20 F for 3 straight days  

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Really ... it was just 0 to 20 F for 3 straight days  

Just a band aid, We would need more sustained cold then just these transient shots especially in March, Those will be open again, I know a lot joke about the higher sun angle, But the higher ground areas take a beating this time of year and is bare.

41 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Welcome, good first post. I never buy the cmc but other guidance has the energy lurking with obv different solutions so the potential is there. 

Thanks. I think just about anything is possible right now beyond 100 hours because  it's already apparent that the models are struggling with Friday's Clipper (You can already tell the NAM thinks it's going to be much juicier than the Globals do and we've seen the Globals whiff on this a couple of times already this winter). This is key because the evolution of that Clipper is going to influence the flow for all the waves behind it, and like any math problem, if you get the first step wrong, there's no way you're getting the rest of the question right. 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Just a band aid, We would need more sustained cold then just these transient shots especially in March, Those will be open again, I know a lot joke about the higher sun angle, But the higher ground areas take a beating this time of year and is bare.

yeah I suppose it's not really arguable... 

I've mentioned in the past that as early as right around the 10th of February down here we get that effectiveness of the sun going already.  (Kevin has an obsession with this for some reason...)   But cars parked in the open on sunny days start to oven inside right around that key sort of sun-angle achievement. 

Well...the same must be true for mid grade elevations with snow pack that are south facing, too.  Even at 32 F, a sunny day will send rivulets cascading.. To really maintain a snow pack you need it deep and dim...  Blue dawns and dusks...  or, get new snow at a sufficient reclamation rate - 

Sub-500 thicknesses this weekend will be a little easier to tolerate if we have snow OTG.

The clipper's vortmax actually takes a pretty ideal track for SNE, it's just the trough itself is still a bit rounded so we're not getting the good inflow to the colder side. If we sharpen the shortwave a bit more, then we could achieve that and have a nice stripe of moderate to heavy snow.

Archived