joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy Moley -- As if I couldn't tell everyone's location just by the cantankerous banter on the storm mode thread.  Re-freakin'-lax people.  It's snow.  Not someone that plowed into your car, or ripped off $100 from you.  Unreal.  

So King Euro gives MBY the jackpot (AA).  Will that happen?  Probably not.  Do I care?  No.  I just want some semblance of winter before we head into the warm season.  MBY did quite well (perhaps better than those west of the fall line) during the St. Patrick's Day storm in 2014.  But...it was melting rapidly later in the day, even with temperatures in the 30s. Even as a meteorologist, where this is my job 40 hours a week, I've always had to temper the expectations...temper the weenieism.  This always helps me: We will get what we get, nothing more, nothing less.  NOTHING is promised...I don't care what the models said after 72 hours.

Oh, and just to show how confident (not) I am in this Miller B setup -- we *still* have our 1" snow contest going here at WPC...since we haven't *officially* reached 1" with any of the systems yet this winter.  Came close...0.70"...when everyone else (including MBY) got 1+ inch.  People are like, "oh, that contest will END Tuesday!"  I'm like, "You know... I'm not so sure about that." 

Just now, AlaskaETC said:

Just stating the truth.

You keep saying he was attacked...he was not attacked. He was asked by mappy to be respectful of other posters who might not have been following his earlier thoughts. That's not attacking. If you think that's attacking somebody then you must be REALLY sensitive. 

I didn't realize you were the Weather Forum Attack Prevention Unit

This crap gets out of control sometimes. I frequented the Eastern US wx boards when I was still up in the Northeast forums with ORH, Typhoon Tip, Weatherfella etc.. very nice accomodating guys, wont attack you or belittle you. Some of the stuff that goes on in the mid atlantic forum is ridiculous. Rude, short with people, poke fun at people because there IQ to weather isnt on par with anyone who feels superior isnt cool. We all want to learn more. I try my darndest to hang with you guys on some of the terminology and truly appreciate some of the knowledge people have to offer in here. But losing red taggers def doesnt help, regardless if they were a tad bit rude. I understand Mappys point to a degree, however ERS does have a point as well. Its hard to answer every single question. The knowledge these people bring on their free time is valuable. I have had plenty of great convos with ERS. Maybe think before you go acting like your better than people who are just trying to enjoy their hobby and are posting.

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

This crap gets out of control sometimes. I frequented the Eastern US wx boards when I was still up in the Northeast forums with ORH, Typhoon Tip, Weatherfella etc.. very nice accomodating guys, wont attack you or belittle you. Some of the stuff that goes on in the mid atlantic forum is ridiculous. Rude, short with people, poke fun at people because there IQ to weather isnt on par with anyone who feels superior isnt cool. We all want to learn more. I try my darndest to hang with you guys on some of the terminology and truly appreciate some of the knowledge people have to offer in here. But losing red taggers def doesnt help, regardless if they were a tad bit rude. I understand Mappys point to a degree, however ERS does have a point as well. Its hard to answer every single question. The knowledge these people bring on their free time is valuable. I have had plenty of great convos with ERS. Maybe think before you go acting like your better than people who are just trying to enjoy their hobby and are posting.

My thoughts summed up exactly. This forum stinks when people take themselves too seriously.

9 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

People who I enjoy on a normal day are essentially showing sides of themselves that are making them out to be awful online personalities today...

Not excusing it completely, but I'm sure (and I'm sure you know this) a lot of that is due to the tension from what the models have shown today, when not too long ago we were all feeling pretty good about a potentially huge March snow event.  I won't deny feeling not too great since reading about the 00Z Euro when I got up this morning.  But yeah, it gets kind of tiring to see things get a bit out of hand with some of the commentary.  I can take my own advice here to an extent of course, but it's times like this that one has to take a step back and not flip out.

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Not excusing it completely, but I'm sure (and I'm sure you know this) a lot of that is due to the tension from what the models have shown today, when not too long ago we were all feeling pretty good about a potentially huge March snow event.  I won't deny feeling not too great since reading about the 00Z Euro when I got up this morning.  But yeah, it gets kind of tiring to see things get a bit out of hand with some of the commentary.  I can take my own advice here to an extent of course, but it's times like this that one has to take a step back and not flip out.

Absolutely. I understand weather frustration - I've been a victim of it too. But some of the folks on here definitely need to learn to step back as you said. It's sunny (albeit chilly). Go walk with your dogs or kids, enjoy a nice alcoholic beverage if you're of age. There's really no need to fight with others and get out of sorts over a mid-March snowstorm that is going to give you less snow than expected. Considering we were all staring down the barrel of a very low snowfall season - this threat INSIDE of 2-3 days should be a win overall.

2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Let's say you liked to cook but couldn't quite get how to make your soufflé get all puffy. You read recipe after recipe and nothing helped.

Then one day a chef from a 5 star restaurant came waltzing in and said you're doing it wrong and only I know how to make it work.

You would say, "Hey can you tell me?"

And he says, "No, because I don't wanna.  Neener neener!"

Would you nicely ask if he could explain why he is being rude or just go: he is being so nice with his thoughts to me!!!?

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Let's move on y'all. I'll use my slightly better community management skills to make peace in the land.  We got a storm to track

Now who has a good mai tai recipe? 

Google ;)

That does sound good; haven't had one in a long time.

I have a great vodka tonic recipe. Gonna use it in about 10 minutes.

9 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Holy Moley -- As if I couldn't tell everyone's location just by the cantankerous banter on the storm mode thread.  Re-freakin'-lax people.  It's snow.  Not someone that plowed into your car, or ripped off $100 from you.  Unreal.  

So King Euro gives MBY the jackpot (AA).  Will that happen?  Probably not.  Do I care?  No.  I just want some semblance of winter before we head into the warm season.  MBY did quite well (perhaps better than those west of the fall line) during the St. Patrick's Day storm in 2014.  But...it was melting rapidly later in the day, even with temperatures in the 30s. Even as a meteorologist, where this is my job 40 hours a week, I've always had to temper the expectations...temper the weenieism.  This always helps me: We will get what we get, nothing more, nothing less.  NOTHING is promised...I don't care what the models said after 72 hours.

Oh, and just to show how confident (not) I am in this Miller B setup -- we *still* have our 1" snow contest going here at WPC...since we haven't *officially* reached 1" with any of the systems yet this winter.  Came close...0.70"...when everyone else (including MBY) got 1+ inch.  People are like, "oh, that contest will END Tuesday!"  I'm like, "You know... I'm not so sure about that." 

Just out of curiosity...is your 1" contest for the DCA location, or as measured there at NCEP in College Park?  Either way, I don't think much of anyone in the area got 1" from a single event yet, though maybe the early January storm (that hammered southern VA and NC) came close.  And it just goes to show how pathetic this winter has been!

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Let's say you liked to cook but couldn't quite get how to make your soufflé get all puffy. You read recipe after recipe and nothing helped.

Then one day a chef from a 5 star restaurant came waltzing in and said you're doing it wrong and only I know how to make it work.

Would you nicely ask if he could explain why he is being rude or just go: he is being so nice with his thoughts to me!!!?

You're wrong because this is the internet. 

7 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Now who has a good mai tai recipe? 

March Mayhem:

Ingredients:

Shaved ice

Vodka cold

Northern stream cream soda

Instructions:

Pour four days early. Warm to just above freezing. Replace melted ice with significant amount of water. Drink in one shot. Start preparing next drink.

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

So...you're telling us that ERS is a chef at a 5-star restaurant in his off-hours??  (Joking...of course...if he sees this!!) :lol:

1 minute ago, eurojosh said:

March Mayhem:

Ingredients:

Shaved ice

Vodka cold

Northern stream cream soda

Instructions:

Pour four days early. Warm to just above freezing. Replace melted ice with significant amount of water. Drink in one shot. Start preparing next drink.

too much work.  just gonna have a zima

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived