Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

CON went:

27.6, 28.5, 30.1, and 29.1

So February was a full degree warmer than March.

Oh it was never even close up here.  March destroyed all three winter months.  Also had quite a few significant snow or winter events, all after March 10th.  One would have to imagine all the snow events, especially the second half of the month had some feedback as it kept the nights nice and cold with fresh snowpack. 

March was colder than both January and February by over 2 full degrees in the means. *I wonder what the probability of that happening is?

Local MVL ASOS temps show:

Dec...23.7F

Jan...24.7F

Feb...24.8F

Mar...22.5F (an average March temperature of 22.5F, lol)

Here's another fun one... days of 0F or lower temperatures:

January...5

February...2

March...9

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man nice to have the sun out. Feels great even if temps are cool. 

It does and it warms up quickly.  We've spiked to 40F at 1,500ft in full sun.  When the clouds were here it was stuck in the low-30s...then the sun pops out and it goes straight up.

Great skiing.  I mean the amount of snowpack on the slopes is pretty ridiculous.  Definitely some flood concerns if it starts getting real wet and warm.

A-prime-Sunday-on-the-slopes..jpg

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It does and it warms up quickly.  We've spiked to 40F at 1,500ft in full sun.  When the clouds were here it was stuck in the low-30s...then the sun pops out and it goes straight up.

Great skiing.  I mean the amount of snowpack on the slopes is pretty ridiculous.  Definitely some flood concerns if it starts getting real wet and warm.

A-prime-Sunday-on-the-slopes..jpg

I am hoping...key word hoping...to hit the slopes next winter and see if my son enjoys it. Watch it be a 2016 or 2010 repeat. :lol:

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Oh it was never even close up here.  March destroyed all three winter months.  Also had quite a few significant snow or winter events, all after March 10th.  One would have to imagine all the snow events, especially the second half of the month had some feedback as it kept the nights nice and cold with fresh snowpack. 

March was colder than both January and February by over 2 full degrees in the means. *I wonder what the probability of that happening is?

Local MVL ASOS temps show:

Dec...23.7F

Jan...24.7F

Feb...24.8F

Mar...22.5F (an average March temperature of 22.5F, lol)

Here's another fun one... days of 0F or lower temperatures:

January...5

February...2

March...9

I'm maybe more amazed at how it felt sensibly.

Like I never felt like spring was just around the corner. It was just so consistently cold it felt like February if you never looked at the date.

It got to the point where a -10 type day just felt about right until you actually looked at what the high and low were normally supposed to be.

15 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm maybe more amazed at how it felt sensibly.

Like I never felt like spring was just around the corner. It was just so consistently cold it felt like February if you never looked at the date.

It got to the point where a -10 type day just felt about right until you actually looked at what the high and low were normally supposed to be.

I was thinking the same thing. After the first week the sun didn't even feel warm anymore. 

Today has been a wild and crazy birding day.

• 2 red wing blackbirds: seen maybe once or twice a year.
  • 2 white throated sparrows: earliest ever arrival. 
  • 2 extra chatty song sparrows: also earliest ever arrival.
  • Entire flock of robins: I hate robins.
  • My juncos who only visit during snowstorms are still here
  • And my standard suite of chickadees, nuthatches, titmice, cardinals, and purple finches.

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Today has been a wild and crazy birding day.

• 2 red wing blackbirds: seen maybe once or twice a year.
  • 2 white throated sparrows: earliest ever arrival. 
  • 2 extra chatty song sparrows: also earliest ever arrival.
  • Entire flock of robins: I hate robins.
  • My juncos who only visit during snowstorms are still here
  • And my standard suite of chickadees, nuthatches, titmice, cardinals, and purple finches.

I had my first ever starlings yesterday...4 of them. I'm glad they haven't been back. 

Archived