Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Way outside its range, but don't fall asleep on this threat NYCmetro.. 

Do not... underestimate CAD

IMG_1840.PNG

Hey Billy or anyone else sorry for the questions as I said I am new to much of this but what exactly is the CAD ? In keeping with the thread it is possible that this can still trend South ( I dont see why it cant ) I mean which guidance do we trust at this range ? I know the Nam and RGEM were very good last event and I would like to stick with the hot hand .

8 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Hey Billy or anyone else sorry for the questions as I said I am new to much of this but what exactly is the CAD ? In keeping with the thread it is possible that this can still trend South ( I dont see why it cant ) I mean which guidance do we trust at this range ? I know the Nam and RGEM were very good last event and I would like to stick with the hot hand .

CAD is cold air damning. 

25 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/weatherpapers/050/index.html

this site has a lot of good explanations for stuff like that (to be honest i didnt read this one but ive had that site bookmarked forever). Dont apologize for asking questions like that, please! Gotta learn somehow. Only questions frowned upon are of the "how much for my area" and things of that nature. 

32 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

4 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/weatherpapers/050/index.html

this site has a lot of good explanations for stuff like that (to be honest i didnt read this one but ive had that site bookmarked forever). Dont apologize for asking questions like that, please! Gotta learn somehow. Only questions frowned upon are of the "how much for my area" and things of that nature. 

BX reply is spot on. We all learned this stuff at some point but I think some forget that. You'll find there are plenty of people on here that will help anyone learn about the weather and teach the proper ways to observe and record it. We get frustrated with the other type of poster that refuses to learn and read a bit on their own and just want specific answers to IMBY questions that were already answered if the poster took some time and read through the posts. If you have the right attitude, and it seems like you do, you can learn a lot on this board. Cheers. 

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=OKX&issuedby=OKX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

In Upton's they speak about temps for Sunday could be rather generous where I for example only have a forecast high of 35 degrees. This really could complex the forecast even further and result in a mostly frozen event of the LHV and more potential for ice for the NYC area.  It seems that places up above 84 are a shoe in for a warning type snowfall. Today could be extremely interesting to see if the trends continue!!

2 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Here's my call for this event

0-coating NYC and points south
1-3 NYC to Rockland ( Bear Mt Bridge)
2-5" Bear mountain to Newburgh (SWF)
4-8" Newburgh to Kingston 
8-12+ north of there

I think totals Will stay pretty uniform east to west based on latitude 

There ya go with west of the river again :wacko:  Hey Julian, take care of this guy will ya :lol:  :hurrbear:

Most of the maps that have been posted show a slight twist and go somewhat longitudinal as you go further east.  This leads me to think that CAD will drop into northern Westchester on and along the Taconic crest.  The river corridor through Putnam and Westchester may see results similar to the west side but as you cross the crest I think the all frozen line drops down to around Mt Kisco or so.  I do expect a fair bit of sleet to mix in bringing our accumulated totals down but I don't expect to see much for plain rain.  I'm thinking ~4" from the area around Mt Kisco up to Carmel then more as you go north.

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

There ya go with west of the river again :wacko:  Hey Julian, take care of this guy will ya :lol:  :hurrbear:

Most of the maps that have been posted show a slight twist and go somewhat longitudinal as you go further east.  This leads me to think that CAD will drop into northern Westchester on and along the Taconic crest.  The river corridor through Putnam and Westchester may see results similar to the west side but as you cross the crest I think the all frozen line drops down to around Mt Kisco or so.  I do expect a fair bit of sleet to mix in bringing our accumulated totals down but I don't expect to see much for plain rain.  I'm thinking ~4" from the area around Mt Kisco up to Carmel then more as you go north.

Yea to be honest... I didn't really wanna get that specific lol... I figured one if you easterners could figure it out ;) lol

4 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Oh ok I had read it after I posted. So places like where you and I are could fair better than NW NJ because of a strong CAD signal??

Yup.  After over 20 years here I can say that it's pretty typical for that to be the "break line" in storms like this.

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Yea to be honest... I didn't really wanna get that specific lol... I figured one if you easterners could figure it out ;) lol

I got it covered B)

Unfortunately I'm going to have to be away from the computer for the next 6 hours or so.   Y'all are on your own :D

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think you're going to be disappointed if you're hoping for significant snows unless you're at least 30 miles North of the city. It looks like a mostly mixed bag event with a lot of IP and ZR to contend with.

I think this is going to disappoint a lot of people unless you live in Orange, Putnam or Sussex counties on north. I think it's little if any snow south of there and I doubt even very much sleet or freezing rain either. This looks like mostly a rain event to me. It's going to be in the upper 30's in Rockland County tomorrow. I honestly think NWS jumped the gun with the WWA

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

Yup.  After over 20 years here I can say that it's pretty typical for that to be the "break line" in storms like this.

I got it covered B)

Unfortunately I'm going to have to be away from the computer for the next 6 hours or so.   Y'all are on your own :D

Ok very interesting I didn't expect that to be the situation thanks for bring that to light and further clarifying the situation. 

Archived