Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I think this is going to disappoint a lot of people unless you live in Orange, Putnam or Sussex counties on north. I think it's little if any snow south of there and I doubt even very much sleet or freezing rain either. This looks like mostly a rain event to me. It's going to be in the upper 30's in Rockland County tomorrow. I honestly think NWS jumped the gun with the WWA

However to be fair the NWS specified that they are probably too generous on the temps. Let's see how this plays out today. I think if your north of 287 you should be fine for an advisory snow n sleet with not that much rain. 

14 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I think this is going to disappoint a lot of people unless you live in Orange, Putnam or Sussex counties on north. I think it's little if any snow south of there and I doubt even very much sleet or freezing rain either. This looks like mostly a rain event to me. It's going to be in the upper 30's in Rockland County tomorrow. I honestly think NWS jumped the gun with the WWA

Can you post your reasoning please without "i think"? Or at least explain why these models are wrong with their temps? Thanks. 

D09B49BB-0BE4-4C2E-86E1-BFEDAEB68ACF_zps

F703C67C-1194-429E-9AA3-B51DC36581C4_zps

D3FAF014-4F3B-4175-9DD1-9ED510036728_zps

Just now, BxEngine said:

Can you post your reasoning please without "i think"? Or at least explain why these models are wrong with their temps? Thanks. 

DF3B9C56-EE16-4104-AE08-C4AA048DBD8A_zps

As I've said.. this could really surprise immediate burbs not expecting much, classic CAD signature on most models.. RGEM may be overdoing it, but a decent compromise of euro/Nam/RGEM points to a decent advisory event and some icing, especially NNJ and SNY

6 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

D3FAF014-4F3B-4175-9DD1-9ED510036728_zps

About to head down to the city for the day and evening but I think the RGEM is way, way overdoing it with the CAA, among other things, NAM is slightly overdone too. We'll see tonight, I'm confident this underperforms what folks are thinking right now for south of Orange, Putnam and Sussex

12 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

However to be fair the NWS specified that they are probably too generous on the temps. Let's see how this plays out today. I think if your north of 287 you should be fine for an advisory snow n sleet with not that much rain. 

I'm in the Edison area, just north of 287, so I guess I'll prepare for snow.  Just kidding.  Pet peeve of mine when people refer to 287 as if it's a single point or line (I know you meant north of the Tappan Zee part).  Even mets do it all the time: "and it'll be 2-4" north and west of 287."  That's so imprecise. What they really mean, most of the time, is north of the Tappan Zee part and west of the part in NJ from Mahwah to I-80.  

11 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I think you have to be 50 miles north and west of the city for this one buddy

I strongly disagree... the strong CAD signal being advertised on the models is very real. The boundary away from the coast in a situation like this should only be 25-30 miles and it could even reach down into Southern Westchester. We also have a nice snowpack on the ground right now so that should also help in our favor. Do not underestimate the strength of CAD it has bitten us in the ass many of times. Look at the Valentines Day Sleet storm if I remember correctly it was supposed to go over to rain and that never came!!! The temps stayed in the upper 20's because of the cold air filtrating down the Hudson! 

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

RGEM is usually deadly within 12hours... and has no true biased in this time frame... once in a while it duds... but I'd say 90% of the time it's accurate

Well that is certainly a huge plus for the area since it was a nice thump of snow.  Also what looks to be the start time?

40 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Winds could be a big story as well if this continues trending stronger, further SW. Gfs already suggest HWW are possible. We will definitely see wind advisories get hoisted up. 

12z nam has it dropping 34MB's in 15 hours.   that has to be close to a record.

From hours 39 to 54.  (993mb to 959mb )

4km NAM

Archived