joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gfs seems to be showing elevation enhanced snows in NJ, goes against the gradient theme of the past few runs on other models. 

Will the cad hold up?  There doesn't seem to be a good hp to anchor in any lasting cold, once south of 84.

I'm not expecting anything other than some onset sleet; not really disappointed. I am looking forward to being surprised though!

This should be your usual, maybe a little better SWFE type event that hits I-90 hard, maybe down to I-84 or the northern suburbs if it's cold enough. The redevelopment will be good for NNE and probably Boston. A good reminder of why they average more snow than most of us do. I doubt NYC itself sees more than a slushy inch if that. Where I live it won't be more than some snow mixing with rain at times. SWFEs are good for I-90, NYC normally gets some table scraps at best. I'm not really paying attention to this one-I'm more focused on Thursday. Hopefully the Orange/Putnam and interior CT posters can pull a few inches. 

7 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

No real mixing on GGEM like GFS or Nam, either snow or rain

IMG_1853.PNG

^ Honestly if I had to draw up a map for tomorrow, that would be it right there, exactly what I expect to happen. Only slight difference is I would extend it down a little into northern Sussex County, NJ, but that's it

15 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I'd love to be on the south shore of Maine.. they're getting an unreal stretch of winter weather 

I agree with others here on the CAD as well.   It always under does it, when a strong snowpack is intact.   Especially how the flow will be coming straight from new england / long island tomorrow and tomorrow night, where most areas still have over a foot on the ground. 

Expect colder runs at 0z.    NAM hinted at it first...GFS followed.

don't let today's mild day fool ya.

23 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I'd love to be on the south shore of Maine.. they're getting an unreal stretch of winter weather 

Deer isle ME  Hurricane WW?

Sunday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow after 1am. Low around 27. Windy, with an east wind 24 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Monday
Snow before 2pm, then rain and snow between 2pm and 4pm, then snow likely after 4pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow. High near 32. Very windy, with a north wind 43 to 50 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Hey Billy or anyone else I am not familiar with the " two WRF " models are they usually reliable ? short range ? what are those ? Also I saw you posted possible predictions earlier and what you thought might happen do any of these model runs that came out since change your thinking on that ? I cant get over how some model runs have it snowing in the City and on LI and others dont ,time will tell I guess

14 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Hey Billy or anyone else I am not familiar with the " two WRF " models are they usually reliable ? short range ? what are those ? Also I saw you posted possible predictions earlier and what you thought might happen do any of these model runs that came out since change your thinking on that ? I cant get over how some model runs have it snowing in the City and on LI and others dont ,time will tell I guess

WRF stands for "weather research forecasting" it's part of a "next gen" meso models that are combined to provide both dynamic atmospheric and operational surface forecasting... I've found that these are VERY good for detecting banding in snowstorms, tempature gradients (CAD especially) and sever storm threats during the season. Generally I look at them as a guiding tool... if they're features seem in line with most guidance ( like mid level troughs, shortwave features, and northern stream interactions, such is the case needed with most snowstorms, they are usually very accurate depicting rain//snow lines, and meso banding features...

ARW (Advanced Research WRF) this model is used ALOT during hurricane season 

NMM (Nonhydrostatic Mesoscale Model) is run as an extension of the NAM which a lot of people dont realize.

the srefs are also an extension of the nam (a lot of people dont realize also) the srefs are actually the nams version of its ensemble members

I wouldn't sleep on the CAD. US is right I think a further shift south will continue 

I personally just see this coming off of snj / Delmarva. The NAO will be just enough to slow it down and when it explodes (30-35 mb in 12-18 hours), I think NNJ, NYC and perhaps even CNJ see a decent hit and LI and points NE get smoked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Archived