joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Short range disco and Obs - STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dew points and where the baroclinoc zone is are more important then surface temps.  Temps will tank when precip starts and if the boundary is close the low will pull in the cold as it develops. I'm not saying temps are irrelevant as they could be indicating those other two factors are trending worse too but surface temps right now aren't the most important thing to look at. 

14 minutes ago, Kleimax said:

This is by far the most aggressive map I've seen. Any thoughts on this lol 

IMG_6160.PNG

They are pretty big on hype. And that map is kinda a carbon copy of the 12z 4K nam which was the snowiest run of the day so fits their MO. Kinda like jb. Take snowiest guidance you can and run with it. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

They are pretty big on hype. And that map is kinda a carbon copy of the 12z 4K nam which was the snowiest run of the day so fits their MO. Kinda like jb. Take snowiest guidance you can and run with it. 

The only spots I'd question are the southernmost C and E regions.  I don't think it's too over-hyped.

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The dew points and where the baroclinoc zone is are more important then surface temps.  Temps will tank when precip starts and if the boundary is close the low will pull in the cold as it develops. I'm not saying temps are irrelevant as they could be indicating those other two factors are trending worse too but surface temps right now aren't the most important thing to look at. 

This is such a close call for us. My gut tells me we come up short although I do think will get at least 2, just not feeling 5 or more. Hope I'm wrong. If thingso do break more favorable this thing can go to town for 3-4 hours.

5 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

This is such a close call for us. My gut tells me we come up short although I do think will get at least 2, just not feeling 5 or more. Hope I'm wrong. If thingso do break more favorable this thing can go to town for 3-4 hours.

This is the type of thing that in a normal winter goes our way and we end up with 6".  But this year even up here the marginal coin toss type events seem to flip the wrong way so I'm pessimistic also. I'd be shocked if we don't see snow at all but I'm thinking lower end not higher here. 

When I blend the High Rez NAM, regular NAM and GFS, it seems the snow should break out around 3 am N. Carroll County and then across the NW sides of DC and Balto. around 4 pm.  My hunch is that snow should accumulate easily on trees/lawns/decks and perhaps sidewalks.  Accumulation on streets may be happening for only an hour or two from 6 am until about 8 am. Northern Carroll, Balto. and Harford counties could rack up 3 to 6 or even 7 inches on trees and plants.  Thinking about deep moisture on the 700 mb charts, it should over and done by about 10 am.  Squalls later in the day will deepen the snowy mood.

I think rush hour will be screwed up more by people doing goofy things and not so much by streets being slippery and dangerous.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's going to be snowing very hard when it flips. It will accumulate at 33-34 given the rates 

Yup. Column cooling faster on models then surface temps, and with the amount of qpf coming in, we should be snowing at 34. I'm still positive we see at least 3"

4 minutes ago, Hurricanegiants said:

I appreciate this forum. So glad I came across all of you over the last couple of years. Can somebody give me their thoughts of accumulations:

Arlington:

Fairfax:

Loudoun:

I'm summizing 1-2 at "VERY" best with maybe 3 in Loudoun if it booms????

Arlington is an inch at most.

Fairfax the same. 

Loudoun perhaps a dusting-1.5 inches. If the changeover happens quicker perhaps more.

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

Yup. Column cooling faster on models then surface temps, and with the amount of qpf coming in, we should be snowing at 34. I'm still positive we see at least 3"

I was thinking 3-6 and maybe even leaving 4-8 here with my 1050 elevation after the 12z suite. Not sure what your elevation is.   But the 18z stuff was concerning a bit. We have no wiggle room for a north trend or even a wiggle.  Right now I'd probably still stick with 3-6 but lean lower rather then higher but the 18z guidance has me spooked because it went the wrong way after 12z looked better. 

Just now, Kleimax said:

HRRR has been doing well this winter I think 

It was the HRRR that convinced me in the Feb 3, 2014 storm that the writing was on the wall and I'd get mostly rain, and it also did well with the KU storm 10 days later.

I think it's become a very good model lately and though it's not perfect, it gives good hints about what to expect.

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

HRRRRRRRR ( :) ) just took a huge jump in snowfall regionally.

I never place a lot of faith in these rapid update models until I see them make a big change.  This was a big change

That would be good. I've noticed the hrrr at range tends to over amp. Remember early on the night before the Jan 6 storm it looks good. One run had 2" all the way up here with more to come. Then when it got around 12 hours it caught on and pulled the rug out. It's been very good within 8-10 hours. So so 10-12 and way off beyond that. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

49/37 here. Seems I'm running colder then all around me. I guess my elevation helping. 

Again it's the second number we want to be more worried about. 

52/41 here (though my local wxbug may be a few degrees too cool, but that's what it's saying).

13 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Maybe he has WxBell?

Anyways, the 22z run does look slightly cooler at 5z Thursday, so I guess that's a good sign when every tenth of a degree matters IMBY.

Being totally honestly here... See VERY little difference between 21z and 22z. Definitely not a huge difference. Thought worst

eta: just saw winterwxluver comment. Makes more sense now. I was like am I missing something lol

Archived