Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I heard all kinds of hip hip horrays for the gfs a few pages back, not ok for nw mass?

It was pretty good for everyone. NW MA gets the least..but they do on all model guidance. But it still gave them 6-8"...maybe more depending on banding/ratios.

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

As much as I love a long duration storm...something about the very intense fast movers gets the adrenaline flowing. It's like 2/5/01 but with an almost optimal thermal profile.

I prefer intense slow-movers.

9 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I heard all kinds of hip hip horrays for the gfs a few pages back, not ok for nw mass?

It's better than everything else except maybe the UK

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wouldn't classify springfield metro as C MA. They are pretty far west.

You need a map, son.

Temp ticking back at the Pit.  41.4 off of 42.6

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It's amazing how much power the Euro still holds in the minds when it drops a sick run.  

It really gets the people going more than any other model.

The euro may struggle at times with temps and what not, but it is still the most conservative model when it comes to big snow forecasts. It takes something pretty good to get it to go gangbusters in the short term....occasionally it barfs ala Jan 2015, but it's hard to ignore it when it goes to town. It's not like the NAM or RGEM which can have a bit of a wet bias.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It's amazing how much power the Euro still holds in the minds when it drops a sick run.  

It really gets the people going more than any other model.

We all fell hook line and sinker Jan 26th 2015 when it was pretty much the only model (save NAM) showing a widspread 2ft+ across the LHV W MA, CT and NYC and we all got burned so so bad, i think that is one of the worst busts of all time i can remember, much worse than Mar 4-6 01, that actually didnt end up being too bad ata ll

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

The euro may struggle at times with temps and what not, but it is still the most conservative model when it comes to big snow forecasts. It takes something pretty good to get it to go gangbusters in the short term....occasionally it barfs ala Jan 2015, but it's hard to ignore it when it goes to town. It's not like the NAM or RGEM which can have a bit of a wet bias.

Considering we are under 24h from onset too, you can't ignore it.

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

We all fell hook line and sinker Jan 26th 2015 when it was pretty much the only model (save NAM) showing a widspread 2ft+ across the LHV W MA, CT and NYC and we all got burned so so bad, i think that is one of the worst busts of all time i can remember, much worse than Mar 4-6 01, that actually didnt end up being too bad ata ll

agreed 100 pct, worst kool aid ever and I remember saying to myself it had a 1/22/05 kinda feel to it that morning but even the normally conservative local stations were going 15-22 and higher!

the other thing I thought about was what were the odds of the bowels of death valley having a third (jan 11, feb 13) gargantuan event in five years? unheard of relative to climo

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Big difference in sensible weather between Greenfield and Springfield.

I do not lump myself in with them but they have had it every bit as bad comparatively speaking. If I really average 50 inches/year I am below normal since I moved up this way winter 04-05....If I really average 45 inches/year then I am just about an inch below normal or we can call that noise...

If the truth is this area averages 40 inches/year then I am slightly above normal the last 13 years

I definitely have been averaging less than bdl during this past 13 years

I am well aware Greenfield averages 55-60 per season 

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He lumps himself in with them . He claims he's in their screwzone

you make generalizations and accusations which are often very inaccurate

now have I had it as bad as the folks in eastern ny/parts of vt? absolutely not, they are having bad luck for snow lovers that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy

4 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I do not lump myself in with them but they have had it every bit as bad comparatively speaking. If I really average 50 inches/year I am below normal since I moved up this way winter 04-05....If I really average 45 inches/year then I am just about an inch below normal or we can call that noise...

If the truth is this area averages 40 inches/year then I am slightly above normal the last 13 years

I definitely have been averaging less than bdl during this past 13 years

I am well aware Greenfield averages 55-60 per season 

Everyone in WNE  has been absolutely schooled by ENE the past few years.   I don't even know what to say about E.NY and S. VT. 

This is from OKX AFD...

Operational models are in decent agreement with the track and
timing, with the 00Z GFS faster than the others. QPF is also in
good agreement, with generally between 0.60"-1.00" of liquid
equivalent. This translates to 6"-10" of snow across the area.

I wonder why they are going with a straight 10:1 across the area. Seems a bit lazy forecasting? I don't expect crazy 20 or 22:1 but 12-14:1 sounds reasonable especially inland, id like to take a look at bufkit later this afternoon.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Was just peaking at some higher res mid-level data on the plym site. Pretty much pure deformation here with the axis of dilatation lined up from CT to PWM. Of course H7 is tilted a little NW of that. H6 is more up toward me.

namdeformation.gif

is that good?  is that the far interior band that was being discussed yesterday?

Archived