Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I worked at Almacs Supermarket in 78, we didn't have warning so there was no mad rush.  In 79 there was a blizzard warning that basically failed, we were wiped out of everything lol. I don't get it but if you need beer definitely get it tonight.

I run a meat department at a shaws in Cape Ann, by 2:00 today I had already had to grind 400 pounds of ground beef. I understand it's an awesome storm but who needs that's much hamburger lol.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah - looking at the GFS... jesus that convergent signature is nuts. 

The banding signal is excellent. It's sloped in the lower mid levels for sure, but starts to get a little more vertical from 750 up through 650 mb. Should really enhance the lift in that region as f-gen forcing couples with the lift from below. 

But again, gives me pause for NW of there. Subsidence on the other side of that band could suck.

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I'm coming back here tomorrow to quote you and ill bet you (dollars to donuts) you dont get more than around 12, if its anywhere near 18-24 ill eat my hat.

he does bring up an interesting point about ratios...2005,2015 and 1978 are all good examples of tremendous wind driven snows that left epic on the level depths in eastern parts of sne, so was it just that much more qpf or better snow growth?

11 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Are the winds likely to have much impact on the ratios? Seems like it would be tough to get the 20:1 ratios Kuchera is putting out with high winds.

I don't think winds look *that strong*... usually the damage comes once the snow is already on the ground and gets wind packed. 

In the banding though it won't matter...if you have strong lift in the snow growth zone its going to rip fatties.  Once its on the ground though it'll depend on your local topography probably...ie trees vs open fields, hill top of a hollow.

The wind thing might be overstated in breaking up dendrites...if you have good snow growth it'll happen.  I've seen 30-40:1 ratio dendrites on the mountain in like 35-50mph winds at 4,000ft...just cotton candy drifting around.

4 minutes ago, amc said:

Anyone think GYX will venture into Blizzard warning territory?

Not on my watch. 

To me it looks like max gusts 25-30 kts during the snow, but really the best winds wait until snow is winding down. So either way I don't think we meet criteria. 

Blizzards are just so hard to verify more than a few miles away from the coast.

4 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

he does bring up an interesting point about ratios...2005,2015 and 1978 are all good examples of tremendous wind driven snows that left epic on the level depths in eastern parts of sne, so was it just that much more qpf or better snow growth?

They had the QPF. The issue isn't necessarily the snow growth....it's what happens after it falls and gets sandblasted by the strong winds.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Winds blow for snow. Ruins the pack. No thanks 

Yeah who wants to get 14" of snow only to have grass showing in parts of the yard.  No thanks.

You want the buried roof look and nice even depth...caked trees, etc.

Though I will say when the roof blows clean it does make the snow in the yard last longer.

2 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Come on I have heard that nonsense forever now, if the storm is supposed to drop 2' then it will drop 2', ratios and winds won't stop that from happening.  Some of the worst winds in a storm have dropped almost 3' of snow, the Blizzard of 2015 and 2005 have brought 33" and 35" respectively with hurricane force winds

You had like 3" of liquid in 2015. Good luck with your 18" though. I think I'd peg you closer to 8".

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They had the QPF. The issue isn't necessarily the snow growth....it's what happens after it falls and gets sandblasted by the strong winds.

Yeah those storms like Feb '78, Feb '13, Jan '05 aren't comparable...they were dumping 2-3 inches of QPF...sometimes even more than that. This storm is like 1/2 to 1/3rd of the liquid equiv. There's isn't going to be widespread 2-3 feet.

Having said that, we can't rule out a mega band dumping 20+ in the heart of it...but it will be high ratio fluff that stacks up at 4-5 per hour.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah who wants to get 14" of snow only to have grass showing in parts of the yard.  No thanks.

Though I will say when the roof blows clean it does make the snow in the yard last longer.

I wonder how much city inflation there is when all of the snow that would take up the sfc area of buldings is blown off the roofs and into people's yards?

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Trees rattling, wisps of snow blowing off rooftops - a storm. To each his own I guess.

Archived