Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

5 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Eh not really NNJ 

What's your point?  I said NJ, not NNJ and then discussed some CNJ locations - this forum includes CNJ.  Totals look to be decreased for most of NJ (except maybe the Upton NENJ Counties) on at least the NAM and GFS at 0Z vs. 18Z and 12Z.  Model accuracy increase, as one gets closer to an event and we're getting pretty close...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The temps right now near the metro don't worry me at all.  We had similar temp/dewpoint spreads before the October 2011 storm as well as the post super bowl storm a couple of years ago and easily cooled off.  We also have NNE flow which is way more effective getting cold air into the area than NNW or NW flow is.  The dewpoints in CT are in the mid 20s.  If anything is an issue it may be a warm layer at 09-11Z 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Jeez...

Heres the test. If outside your window at 7am it's not snowing heavily, then there's reason to worry about coming in under 8" or so. If it's snowing heavily by then, you should be good for maybe a foot or even more. A lot of this stuff is last minute model noise and trends on the edges that always take place. PHL is essentially where NYC was for Nemo and Juno, and they're the ones who might bust low, I don't see that happening in this area. But we're about to find out who's right and wrong. Hopefully this works out well for all, and appreciate it anyway if you end up with 6 or 7" vs 13". 

Well said. My area is almost always the dividing line. You don't usually get all the goods, but get some. Sometimes more than others.

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Jeez...

Heres the test. If outside your window at 7am it's not snowing heavily, then there's reason to worry about coming in under 8" or so. If it's snowing heavily by then, you should be good for maybe a foot or even more. A lot of this stuff is last minute model noise and trends on the edges that always take place. PHL is essentially where NYC was for Nemo and Juno, and they're the ones who might bust low, I don't see that happening in this area. But we're about to find out who's right and wrong. Hopefully this works out well for all, and appreciate it anyway if you end up with 6 or 7" vs 13". 

Hahaha, the good ol' look out the god damn window trick. I like it.

Just now, winterwx21 said:

RGEM has a good 4 to 5 hours of mixing for Middlesex county before it goes over to all snow. That's a big reason why it cut back on snow totals for us.

That's a lot of mixing, this storm isn't that long. I would think that would cut us way back, not just an inch or two.

8 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

What's your point?  I said NJ, not NNJ and then discussed some CNJ locations - this forum includes CNJ.  Totals look to be decreased for most of NJ (except maybe the Upton NENJ Counties) on at least the NAM and GFS at 0Z vs. 18Z and 12Z.  Model accuracy increase, as one gets closer to an event and we're getting pretty close...

Apologies, that was a glib Homer post for a recent transplant to Montclair.  I don't think much beyond Uptons NJ counties... Yeah, South of the Driscoll bridge did get cut down somewhat 

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The temps right now near the metro don't worry me at all.  We had similar temp/dewpoint spreads before the October 2011 storm as well as the post super bowl storm a couple of years ago and easily cooled off.  We also have NNE flow which is way more effective getting cold air into the area than NNW or NW flow is.  The dewpoints in CT are in the mid 20s.  If anything is an issue it may be a warm layer at 09-11Z 

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder how long sleet hangs on where I am. Sleet's hung on longer than expected here in a few of these events (Nemo in Feb 2013 especially). But models are still insisting on a crashing switch to snow and ultimately not losing much anywhere on LI. 

Just now, danstorm said:

Apologies, that was a glib Homer post for a recent transplant to Montclair.  I don't think much beyond Uptons NJ counties... Yeah, South of the Driscoll bridge did get cut down somewhat 

And north of the bridge is close to the fire....but it's often this way. Sometimes we get more, sometimes less. It's always dicey for us in these changeover situations...the famous Feb 26 2010 storm left us with 8-12, because it took so long to changeover, when areas north had a lot more. Nemo started as rain too. We even mixed in the March 93 storm, cutting our totals. Where did you transplant from?

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder how long sleet hangs on where I am. Sleet's hung on longer than expected here in a few of these events (Nemo in Feb 2013 especially). But models are still insisting on a crashing switch to snow and ultimately not losing much anywhere on LI. 

Well, even a sleetfest would bemore interesting than what we've had this year so far. We'll see.

Just now, mimillman said:

Holy cow, SREF mean for Boston jumped nearly 5 INCHES from 15z to 21z. Sitting pretty at near 17.5 now. Pretty incredible.

Not surprising giving the upper air evolution we've seen today which is increasingly better for New England. The problem is the slower creep of the cold air and more amped low which keeps the warm air longer on the SW end of it. The freak outs are going too far but no use in denying this turning more into a 1/12/11 or Nemo kind of event. 

This is from Mount Holly:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...
Low pressure is forecast to develop in Virginia during the
night and it should pass off the middle Delmarva coast toward
daybreak. A mid level trough approaching from the west will
provided favorable conditions for the low to deepen rapidly.

Already a broad area of precipitation has developed to our west. We
expect this precip to move into our region sometime after
midnight. Already in the southern Poconos, temperatures are low
enough that any precip moving in should be all snow. For the
rest of the region however, temperatures have generally been
slower to drop than previously forecast, so adjusted the hourly
temperatures to match. However, even with the adjustments to the
hourly temperatures, timing of the transition of precip type has
not changed much. Having said that however, current road/surface
temps show a very warm ground, and recent runs of the HRRR and
RAP indicate the precip may pull out a bit faster than
previously expected. Thus, lowered snow totals across the region
slightly. Hesitate to drop them too much before we have even
begun to see the effects of dynamic cooling with the low, and
once the heavier snow rates develop, they could be enough to
overcome any warm ground. Regardless of the snow totals, this
still looks to have a major impact for much of the region`s
morning commute as that will be when the heaviest snow is
expected to occur.

A northwest to north wind around 5 to 10 MPH this evening is
expected to veer toward the northeast overnight increasing to 10
to 20 MPH.

18 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Pesky warm layer might keep accumulations down from ttn-south. I think middlesex county is good for 8-10. NYC and LI will get crushed. 

It all depends for middlesex county south when we change over 

I think Middlesex is also good for 8-10", maybe up to 12" in Carteret (far NE part of the county), lol, as most of the models are still showing a relatively quick changeover and enough precip (close to 1") total.  However, precip amounts look less for Somerset, Hunterdon, and Mercer and there looks to be more rain SE of us in Monmouth, especially near the coast, so all of those locations could end up with 6-8" for total precip and/or mixing reasons.  That's if the GFS/NAM are correct.  I think you and I get 10" or more if we changeover by 5 am - going to set my alarm for about 4 am, after going to sleep after the Euro, lol.  

Lee Goldberg and Nick Gregory still bullish on 8-12" for all of CNJ/NNJ (north of about 195) and they're usually pretty good.  TWC also has us in their 8-12" swath.  Hey, given where we were 2 days ago, 6" will be great, although I'll be bummed a bit, given what was looking to be possible earlier today.  

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Not surprising giving the upper air evolution we've seen today which is increasingly better for New England. The problem is the slower creep of the cold air and more amped low which keeps the warm air longer on the SW end of it. The freak outs are going too far but no use in denying this turning more into a 1/12/11 or Nemo kind of event. 

You flipped quickly.

Archived