Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

still seems too progressive for me.  maybe that's why mt holly lowered some totals. 

Only dropped amounts by maybe an inch or so in some places, not all, as far as I can tell, due to more slowly dropping temps...

Already a broad area of precipitation has developed to our west. We
expect this precip to move into our region sometime after
midnight. Already in the southern Poconos, temperatures are low
enough that any precip moving in should be all snow. For the
rest of the region however, temperatures have generally been
slower to drop than previously forecast, so adjusted the hourly
temperatures to match. However, even with the adjustments to the
hourly temperatures, timing of the transition of precip type has
not changed much. Having said that however, current road/surface
temps show a very warm ground, and recent runs of the HRRR and
RAP indicate the precip may pull out a bit faster than
previously expected. Thus, lowered snow totals across the region
slightly. Hesitate to drop them too much before we have even
begun to see the effects of dynamic cooling with the low, and
once the heavier snow rates develop, they could be enough to
overcome any warm ground. Regardless of the snow totals, this
still looks to have a major impact for much of the region`s
morning commute as that will be when the heaviest snow is
expected to occur.

2 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

If these trends continue it won't even be a NYC storm

NYC is safe for sure with this track and wind direction.  The worst case is there could be sleet for another hour than expected with snow.  Philly regular gets burned in these sort of events.  April 82 is just one example where 12 inches fell in NYC and they saw nothing 

Looking like Philly might be shafted-the earlier runs today had up to double what tonight's runs have. It's always risky being on the SW end of events like these. This might turn into a mostly NYC area to Boston snowstorm. 

Saw that too. The HRRR has trended warmer too. Even in NYC, it may take a tad longer than expected to start accumulating.

2 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Gotta love the panic posts, we go through this with every storm. Lol. I am going with a magic number of 11.0" here in my area. 

No need to panic, but NAM and RGEM are now showing lower amounts for Middlesex county due to mixing. Would be disappointing to miss out on the really big totals. Was 12z Euro wrong with the very cold solution? Could be. 

3 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Gotta love the panic posts, we go through this with every storm. Lol. I am going with a magic number of 11.0" here in my area. 

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

This threads become pure ****... I know this is gonna get deleted, but the ship jumping posts are absurd... how spoiled are you?

I agree. RGEM Spit out 1.5" QPF for the Metro, what are people seeing? This storm is going to be nuts, we all know that. The 2010s really have made people spoiled. Good God. 

What are ratios looking like ?

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Not really relevant to our area but The RGEM has wanted no part of big snows in places like Albany just north of Manchester in NH and most of Maine.  I'll be interested to see if it wins that battle 

I expect the RGEM to. Typically in these setups, I'm in subsidence hell while the Berks down across the HV get the better banding. I'm surprised most guidance has shifted decent snows into this area today.

I don't think anyone is jumping ship (I'm certainly not and will gladly take the 6-12" of snow I continue to forecast for the metro area). But it is important to point out where I believe the heaviest band of snow will be. We're getting to the point where mesoscale models matter.

If you disagree, post commentary to discuss instead of claiming that my logic is bull**** on feelings and wishful thinking.

3 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

If these trends continue it won't even be a NYC storm

If we were 36 hours out I would agree with you. Since we're less than 12 hours out, I highly doubt it. 

The warmer initial air is probably throwing a wrench into it south of the city, along with NE winds still being off water, and a more amped and later bombing system. But I would only be really worried if I was in Philly or on the Jersey Shore. Models still flip the NYC area and LI to snow fast when the precip starts. If there's heavy rain or sleet still within the meat of the storm, then we can worry here.

6 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Posts were deleted due to Wxbell maps being in them (sorry mods).

But to answer the person who responded to them pointing out the increase in snow totals over some areas, I urge you to consider the trend and not the raw numbers of the 00z RGEM, the astounding cut in snowfall totals from CNJ and SE PA, and the set up that is increasingly looking to favor the Hudson Valley through to eastern CT. 

Even the NAM has over 8" of snow in NYC. The RGEM has around liquid, increasing totals form 18z. That's a positive move if anything. Temps shouldn't limit accumulations significantly. Temps at 850 and 2m are definitely cold enough on the warmer RGEM for NYC.

This is the warmest frame with appreciable precip.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_4.png

rgem_T850_neus_5.png

rgem_T2m_neus_5.png

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Even the NAM has over 8" of snow in NYC. The RGEM has around liquid, increasing totals form 18z. That's a positive move if anything. Temps shouldn't limit accumulations significantly. Temps at 850 and 2m are definitely cold enough on the warmer RGEM for NYC.

rgem_T850_neus_5.png

rgem_T2m_neus_5.png

What are the temps at 10z when tinge precip starts ?

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

rgem_T850_neus_5.png

rgem_T2m_neus_5.png

Hey, I certainly think 8" is a possibility in NYC. 6-12" is likely and it's what I'm sticking with. I'm worried our bigger problem will be subsidence over mixing issues, but I do believe we see at least 6" out of this storm with more possible depending on where banding does set up in the end.

In a winter like this one, we've hit it rich.

Just now, weatherfreeeeak said:

European went crazy with QPF last run...you guys are getting to worried. Calm down. 00z GFS time 

I think the folks in central NJ are worried, but we are always on the cusp, it's nothing new. It's rare for us to be in the jackpot zone. If there's is gonna be mixing, at the beginning or end of a storm, we will get it. Always do.

17 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Only dropped amounts by maybe an inch or so in some places, not all, as far as I can tell, due to more slowly dropping temps...

Already a broad area of precipitation has developed to our west. We
expect this precip to move into our region sometime after
midnight. Already in the southern Poconos, temperatures are low
enough that any precip moving in should be all snow. For the
rest of the region however, temperatures have generally been
slower to drop than previously forecast, so adjusted the hourly
temperatures to match. However, even with the adjustments to the
hourly temperatures, timing of the transition of precip type has
not changed much. Having said that however, current road/surface
temps show a very warm ground, and recent runs of the HRRR and
RAP indicate the precip may pull out a bit faster than
previously expected. Thus, lowered snow totals across the region
slightly. Hesitate to drop them too much before we have even
begun to see the effects of dynamic cooling with the low, and
once the heavier snow rates develop, they could be enough to
overcome any warm ground. Regardless of the snow totals, this
still looks to have a major impact for much of the region`s
morning commute as that will be when the heaviest snow is
expected to occur.

This plus the drier NAM for NJ and the latest HRRR are at least a little concerning for folks in Central NJ - definitely less to the SW of Middlesex County, towards Trenton/Philly, as we've sometimes seen in these events, due to less precip.  Look I'll still be happy with 7-8" but was loving the idea of 12" or so, which I know could still happen, but seeing data like these is at least a bit of a caution.  

hrrr_asnow_neus_18.png

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If we were 36 hours out I would agree with you. Since we're less than 12 hours out, I highly doubt it. 

The warmer initial air is probably throwing a wrench into it south of the city, along with NE winds still being off water, and a more amped and later bombing system. But I would only be really worried if I was in Philly or on the Jersey Shore. Models still flip the NYC area and LI to snow fast when the precip starts. If there's heavy rain or sleet still within the meat of the storm, then we can worry here.

Fair enough.  But I also remember "Nemo" when we were fringed, could never quite changeover, etc.  I also remember the 2015 bust where we were mere hours from the onset and we got screwed there too.  Maybe I remember the negatives over the positives, and those were different setups, but still.

1 minute ago, NYCGreg said:

Fair enough.  But I also remember "Nemo" when we were fringed, could never quite changeover, etc.  I also remember the 2015 bust where we were mere hours from the onset and we got screwed there too.  Maybe I remember the negatives over the positives, and those were different setups, but still.

It changed over late for me in Long Beach and I had 12 or 13" I believe mostly in 5 hours. Hopefully this isn't the same deal but nothing we can do now but watch. I still think in 12 hours most of us will be very happy. 

Archived