Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

1 minute ago, ag3 said:

Forky completely nailed this threat. Was onto it when models had nothing.

Models has Zilch till Sunday I believe. would be VERY interested to hear what made Forly pay attention early ( though I am not surprised at all by that. his cynicism keeps him sharp in a field where you need to maintain distance and see the hidden)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Albany point and click, has me as rain wed night then Snow after 3am lmao.... I want whatever drugs they're on, cause they're clueless for my area, every storm... they need to give Ulster county to BMG, or upton 

I travel to the area frequently and follow the weather forecasts in adjacent parts of Sullivan (Bing) and Ulster (Albany).  This may not apply to the overall CWAs, but my perception is that ALB handles that part of the Catskill region better than BGM.  No science or sampling; just perception.  They both do a decent job.

11 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I travel to the area frequently and follow the weather forecasts in adjacent parts of Sullivan (Bing) and Ulster (Albany).  This may not apply to the overall CWAs, but my perception is that ALB handles that part of the Catskill region better than BGM.  No science or sampling; just perception.  They both do a decent job.

For my county specifically, since its so large... "lat" wise...I get overlooked, for example My county is often the cutoff line on coastals lately, so I've seen 6" of snow and not even had a WWA posted... I have to use uptons forecast  for Orange County to get remotely accurate to my locale 

can't think of a storm yet where Albany has given any attention to its southern coverage area and been accurate 

1 minute ago, yhbrooklyn said:

Quick question. Why would ratios be good if it's starting as rain? Wouldn't that portend a heavy wet snow?

Ratios are determined by the lift and temperature in the snow growth layer. You want it to be -12 to -18C for the best ratios. I agree that the initial snow will be wet because we're cooling down and the ground will be warm. But by the end it looks like it turns into a fluffy snow.

3 minutes ago, yhbrooklyn said:

Quick question. Why would ratios be good if it's starting as rain? Wouldn't that portend a heavy wet snow?

Models are developing a strong, mature CCB. Ratios are usually 15 to 1 or greater in the heaviest of the banding under the CCB.

Coast likely starts as rain or a slush/mix but makes up for it with dynamics closer to the center of low.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Who in here said this was starting as rain?

I guess that must have changed. Initially this was progged to start as rain.

Just now, jm1220 said:

Ratios are determined by the lift and temperature in the snow growth layer. You want it to be -12 to -18C for the best ratios. I agree that the initial snow will be wet because we're cooling down and the ground will be warm. But by the end it looks like it turns into a fluffy snow.

Ah, ok. Thanks, jm.

Just now, yhbrooklyn said:

I guess that must have changed. Initially this was progged to start as rain.

Ah, ok. Thanks, jm.

No you're correct, it may start as rain or a mix especially in the city and at the coast

Rain before 1am, then rain and snow between 1am and 4am, then snow after 4am. Low around 33. Wind chill values between 25 and 30. Northwest wind 7 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

No you're correct, it may start as rain or a mix especially in the city and at the coast

Rain before 1am, then rain and snow between 1am and 4am, then snow after 4am. Low around 33. Wind chill values between 25 and 30. Northwest wind 7 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

No guidance that's come out today so far indicates any rain.

Archived