Newest Member
    joxey
C/NNE & Berks? Wintry Mix Jan 3rd/4th

dendrite

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The GFS is close to starting as snow here this evening. 18hr was close...24hr was ra/zr. Didn't see the 21z sounding, but it looked wintry. Maybe a few hour period of snow north of here? Especially toward North Conway/IZG. IZG looked like a nice thump. 

LCI looked like snow through evening at least.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The GFS is close to starting as snow here this evening. 18hr was close...24hr was ra/zr. Didn't see the 21z sounding, but it looked wintry. Maybe a few hour period of snow north of here? Especially toward North Conway/IZG. IZG looked like a nice thump. 

Much more muted with that 800mb warm nose than the nam

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

yes very interesting how much cooler the column is becoming Dry Slot and the interior sub foothills  Maine crew  is suddenly in the game too.

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

HRRR isn't so bad either.

hrrr_asnow_us_18.png

Well, I think its counting all that as snow, Not happening down here but more so as you get into the mtns of ME/NH and Northern Maine, I don't think we are seeing those totals down this way, Hope i'm wrong.....:)

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Well, I think its counting all that as snow, Not happening down here but more so as you get into the mtns of ME/NH and Northern Maine, I don't think we are seeing those totals down this way, Hope i'm wrong.....:)

Yeah looking at pivotal weather their snow graphic is alot less generous. Spits out some pretty impressive ZR over the high terrain W-C NH into parts of ME. Soundings off the 4km do get interesting when the lift moves through for areas further south in C NH/ME. Trys to fight that warm layer aloft for a time.

not good from GYX

1034 am update: minor changes to ptypes through the afternoon as
the new 12z NAM has caught on to what we are seeing in the
observations...that is temps are warmer aloft than previously
expected. Noting the sleet at mwn showing above freezing air aloft
making it this far North...Well ahead of the rap. Have adjusted
the forecast towards the NAM based on this evolution...but overall
headlines remain intact.

Car was crusted over in ice at 9 am at Pico when we left for Killington.  Many lifts not running due to ice.  Upper trails chatteroy but softer down low. Freezing fog and light freezing rain mixing with snow while we skied.  It was 35 in the parking lot at Killington by the gondola at 11:45 when we quit skiing and the car windows were just wet still.  We skied a short day because we did not want to get caught on the Killington side of the pass if it closed due to freezing rain but the pass was 33 when we went over it.  The memory of the fatal tractor trailer accident on the pass 12/28/15 still fresh in our minds.

Seems this is so borderline that micro climates are coming into play.  Snowing at a Pico VT for at least the past hour and a half.  32 degrees now at Pico.  Definitely colder on this side of the pass.

In contrast after being at Killington it's clear the Pico got shadowed in last Thursday's storm as Killington received significantly more snow in that storm.  It's really too bad that Pico just uses the Killington snow observations when reporting as there are pretty serious differences each side of the pass in any given storm.  Maybe today is Pico's turn to get the better precipitation.

33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah if it's fractured and banded then it probably won't be good enough for a more widespread omega cooling event.

You guys are looking at front end snow right?

Everything I'm looking at from 12z runs appears to look like the snow potential is there after midnight tonight up this way.  We're well above freezing aloft through like 9p-12a and then H85 through H7 cools off sufficiently for snow as the precipitation swings through.  Most the RGEM/EURO/GFS/NAM all show 0.1-0.3" after midnight in a sub-freezing column...but it may become elevation dependent (ie if its 34F in the valleys its rain there and snow at 32F at 1,500ft and up).

I'd be curious about any thoughts after midnight tonight up here.  Ending as a period of snow would be huge for ski conditions.

Just now, powderfreak said:

You guys are looking at front end snow right?

Everything I'm looking at from 12z runs appears to look like the snow potential is there after midnight tonight up this way.  We're well above freezing aloft through like 9p-12a and then H85 through H7 cools off sufficiently for snow as the precipitation swings through.  Most the RGEM/EURO/GFS/NAM all show 0.1-0.3" after midnight in a sub-freezing column...but it may become elevation dependent (ie if its 34F in the valleys its rain there and snow at 32F at 1,500ft and up).

Yeah front end looks decent for sugarloaf to SR in Maine and perhaps into adjacent NH areas.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah front end looks decent for sugarloaf to SR in Maine and perhaps into adjacent NH areas.

Yeah I think our snow comes after midnight.

I doubt many of you have looked at VT as much as NH/ME but I'm seeing a period of snow after midnight up this way on most models as the mid-levels cool.

You can see it on the RGEM precip maps...note the early snow in ME through 3z.

rgem_ptype_acc_neng_6.png

Then mid-levels cool and it snows in VT after that from like 6z-12z:

rgem_ptype_acc_neng_9.png

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Be interesting to see what happens... all the meso-scale models have a nice period of snow here after midnight.

Front end event in NH/ME and then potential to end as a couple inches of snow here.

hires_ref_neng_21.png

That would be an awesome outcome for our area.  I started out thinking that we would lose some snow but it looks like very little will be lost.  Still not convinced that we gain but think we can at lease stay where we are at.

Archived