Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

These two features HAVE to switch for us. The Aleutian ridge and the GOA Low. The Pacific is killing us.

20161217_192855.png

Seems like the Pac has been a major monkey wrench the last several winters. Anyone remember the last time it wasn't killing us? All the way back to 2010/11 perhaps? Haven't really had any sustained blocking in the winter since then either. 

Despite the current indeces outlook, this December has been a total 180 from last (except the absence of snow of course) . Last December at GSP was +11.2! This month so far is -2.7. I'll take below normal any year, even of we don't get the snow. At least it feels more like it should and we have a chance or two to watch. Don't fall asleep just yet everyone, something tells me we'll have a few opportunities to score this winter. Remember that the Nina is basically dead and we continue so see big highs showing up. We just need to get that storm track way down and hopefully get a little blocking at times to keep those highs in place a little more. 

Not sure if it's ok to post so please erase if not. This is an image posted from a user on JB's twitter page showing the forecast lows for tomorrow morning. All I can say is wow! Zero all the way down to Texas and Oklahoma. Major cold for 80 percent of the country. Huge SE ridge though (of course). Got 20s in NW Mississippi and 60s in SE North Carlina. Freezing all the way down to San Antonio but 60s for Macon. Darn that stinkin' SE ridge! 

Cz2e-f7WgAAjxS5.jpg:large

16 minutes ago, yotaman said:

I cannot believe that all that frigid air to the west of us will not make it over the mountains.

It can easily stay west of the mountains here in the southeast. Back in 1989 a MUCH colder airmass than this one did just that. While the plains, midwest and lower Mississippi valley were in the icebox we were setting records with 80 degree temps here in the Carolinas. 3 days later Knoxville Tenn had highs in the 30's while most of NC and SC had highs in the 60's and 70's. That lasted 2 days with cold air that close, but not able to cross the mountains.

Not sure if it's ok to post so please erase if not. This is an image posted from a user on JB's twitter page showing the forecast lows for tomorrow morning. All I can say is wow! Zero all the way down to Texas and Oklahoma. Major cold for 80 percent of the country. Huge SE ridge though (of course). Got 20s in NW Mississippi and 60s in SE North Carlina. Freezing all the way down to San Antonio but 60s for Macon. Darn that stinkin' SE ridge! 

Cz2e-f7WgAAjxS5.jpg:large&key=670ea580d05ffb50e9fe81d347b3c74603a8d48a684bf4e3cbdd836e9ed7faa7

This is actually freely available here: http://weather.graphics/ndfd/ndfd_records.php

Have fun!

2 hours ago, packbacker said:

Day 16 GEFS, SER is gone, lower heights in Atlantic and ridge is building just off west coast.

Pack - With all due respect - that is 16 days (384 hours) out - it's like telling my dogs in October quail season starts on Thanksgiving - if you get the idea?

9 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

It would be crazy if Central and South FL escaped the winter with no frost or freezes. Has that ever happened ?

I have no idea about (or interest in) central and south FL - they are another planet. But up here, there was one winter in the early 1960's when my Dad did not use any heating fuel  - maybe '63 or '64 (too young to remember) and then in '74 when I was back here for Christmas it was 85 and we got sunburnt - but left on Jan 2 to head back to north Indiana so I have no idea what the rest of that winter was like down here - but since 1979 - the answer is a clear NOOOOOOO in this part of the state.

We've had 2 official freezes here so far and 4 IMBY this year - which is less than normal for cold & freezes in what is a FL climate all its own.

Archived