joxey
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Pre emergent! :)

I might be a little late with the pre-emergent...with the record warmth to finish the winter I need to get it out today.

Just kidding...there won't be record warmth to finish the winter.  Well there probably won't be, I mean it's unlikely...coin flip at worst.

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The euro beats down the big ridge at Christmas then the pattern goes zonal before trying to pop a rishe out west. Not a bad look really. Are we talking wintet storm chances? No but we are not talking end on end torch.

any evidence of wedge at Xmas?  the other models have something like a wedge.  I cant tell from looking at the crappy free maps. 

8 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

any evidence of wedge at Xmas?  the other models have something like a wedge.  I cant tell from looking at the crappy free maps. 

The wedge idea seems to be fading for Christmas, and we seem to be trending back toward a warmer solution for more of the SE on Christmas day. Ho Hum.

ecmwf_christmas.png

2 minutes ago, Poimen said:

The wedge idea seems to be fading for Christmas, and we seem to be trending back toward a warmer solution for more of the SE on Christmas day. Ho Hum.

ecmwf_christmas.png

Not sure this is the best map to identify a wedge though.  shows the 500mb but the low level temps wouldn't be reflected but I am not an expert on this.  The other models had some wedge and even some rain up this way...we shall see what happens...not much of a cold wedge regardless still above normal just not waaaaayyy above normal in the wedge zones

12 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Not sure this is the best map to identify a wedge though.  shows the 500mb but the low level temps wouldn't be reflected but I am not an expert on this.  The other models had some wedge and even some rain up this way...we shall see what happens...not much of a cold wedge regardless still above normal just not waaaaayyy above normal in the wedge zones

True, but either way you slice it--it's not a cold look. 

Here's the 10m wind forecast from GFS for same time period. No real wedge to speak of. 

GFS_CHRISTMAS.png

Mack your pal JB said, And I'm sure he's speaking only to the Mid Atlantic and NE

My take in all this is the west is cold constantly, the east gets it for 45-60 days but the west runs the table.

If I am right the return is coming, but not after significant warmth and much wailing and gnashing of teeth in snow goose land 

Archived