SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z WRF makes me think Mtns north of 89 are going to have a hard time crossing the 4" barrier with this one. Just isn't a lot of moisture getting that far north and with mild temps I don't think we see that huge ratio stuff....though 4" will make a huge difference in terms of feel and skiability. 

44 minutes ago, eyewall said:

We have to take what we can get :)

I loved those ol' fashion January thaws that came after 10 days of bone-chillin' ice-cracking cold.  The sun was bright and the snow would melt off the roof, creating icicles 3 feet long seemingly overnight.  These newfangled January thaws last the whole month and come after six days in December of winter that made you feel you were smart for spending money on snow tires.

1 hour ago, ApacheTrout said:

I loved those ol' fashion January thaws that came after 10 days of bone-chillin' ice-cracking cold.  The sun was bright and the snow would melt off the roof, creating icicles 3 feet long seemingly overnight.  These newfangled January thaws last the whole month and come after six days in December of winter that made you feel you were smart for spending money on snow tires.

Good point and stick season rolls on here for sure.

The local deer just got several days of bare grass to munch on.  First bare ground since November.  They better eat fast, snow about to start...

Here is a 2 minute time lapse as it was getting dark.  I counted 17 and they are still coming out of the woods.  There are very few bare spots of ground around and my fields are one of them.  

https://video.nest.com/clip/961932ae37a34bbead6b5ec0b21029d9.mp4

Event totals: 1.6” Snow/0.14” L.E.

I headed back home to Waterbury from Burlington around 7:00 P.M. this evening, so I got to see how this storm was developing on both sides of the Greens.  In Burlington, the precipitation started out as sleet and rain, and driving eastward, that eventually tapered off to the point that just past Richmond there was nothing falling from the sky and the roads were even dry (probably due to downsloping).  Precipitation picked back up toward the town of Bolton, and you could see that it was snow, and then as I passed through Bolton Flats and up toward the house it became a steady light snow comprised of small flakes.  It was amazing that the temperature here was even a bit warmer than it was in Burlington, but the overall temperature profile once you got to the spine and eastward was definitely all snow.

10:00 P.M. observations revealed 1.6” on the snowboard, so the snowfall rate has averaged ~0.5”/hr. since it started up around 7:00 P.M.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.4

Snow Density: 8.8% H2O

Temperature: 33.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Beautiful sight out there this morning.  Probably one of the more picturesque drives I've had yet this season.  Trees caked white all along the road with steady snow falling.  Wintery appeal.

Solid 4-5" on the mountain... 4.0" even at the board at 1,500ft.

Cranking great snow growth.  Big flakes and relatively cold now too.

19F at 4,000ft and 26F now at 1,500ft.

Looks like it'll taper off over the next few hours though.

WUNIDS_map.gif

Event totals: 4.7” Snow/0.45” L.E.

Light snow continued overnight with an additional 3.1” on the board, so snowfall was running a bit under 0.5”/hr.  Thus far the total here seems generally in line with the 3-6” in the Winter Weather Advisory.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.31 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

3 hours ago, adk said:

Snowed steadily here in BTV from about 7 to 1 am then tapered off to light snow flurries. That's where its at now. Looks like 2" ...maybe 3" accumulated on surfaces. For BTV that's deep. 

Yeah it is about 2.5-3 inches of wet snow. It is shocking to see a snow cover again.

23 hours ago, ApacheTrout said:

ain't this the truth. I recall a couple days of 40F and sunshine then it was back to the icebox. Next week looks terrible. Supposed to be coldest time of winter and we're piss warm with potential 1" RN next week. Terrible.

Some January mean temperature stats for BTV:

Warmest: 31.2F (1909)
Normal: 18.9F
2016: 24.9F
2017 to date: 27.1F
2017 including forecasted temps through 1/27 (using WU forecasts): 31F

Using 10-day forecasted temps is wishy-washy, no doubt.  But unless the pattern changes unexpectedly in the next 10 days or the last 4 days of January come in cold, this January is going to be approaching all-time rotter status.

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

Yeah it is about 2.5-3 inches of wet snow. It is shocking to see a snow cover again.

Based on my travels today, I’d say the Burlington area actually did much better than the Richmond/Jonesville area with respect to snowfall.  It looked like they’d picked up maybe an inch or less of snow in some spots, and I’d guess downsloping was the culprit based on the somewhat easterly flow with this event.  You can get an idea from the Bolton Flats Cameras, although coverage looks a bit better than what I saw this morning, so perhaps they picked up a bit more.

4 hours ago, alex said:

Complete shaft at Bretton Woods. 1". This January just refuses to deliver. 

Are you saying you have a ways to go to match the March '69 depth max of 92" at the Bretton Woods COOP?? :)  Pinkham Notch had a 164" depth in FEB of '69 also.  Must have been quite a stretch--the next highest depth year is "just" 76" at Pinkham.  You will have your share of epic winters if you are planning to stay there for a while I think.

Monthly Highest Snow Depth for BRETTON WOODS, NH

Year
Jan
 Feb 
Mar 
Apr 
May 
Jun 
Jul
 Aug
 Sep 
Oct
 Nov
 Dec  
Annual
1969  54     82 92 50 0 0 0 0 0 8  4  34 92
1958  32  69 70 50 0 0 0 0 0 0  M  12 70
1960  15  39 50 13 0 0 0 0 0 0  1  18 50
1963    38  47 40 8 1 0 0 0 0 3  11  6 47
1970  43  36 31 16 1 0 0 M M M  M  M 43
1955  27  35 42 20 0 0 0 0 0 2  4  16 42
1956  26  35 29 40 0 0

I'm surprised its still snowing so steadily.  Its definitely light snow but 1/4" per hour has been ticking away here on the east slope.

5.25" at the base for snowfall right now and that's an uncleaned board (though I don't think this would settle much anyway).  Just straight 5.3" total stack right now.

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

ain't this the truth. I recall a couple days of 40F and sunshine then it was back to the icebox. Next week looks terrible. Supposed to be coldest time of winter and we're piss warm with potential 1" RN next week. Terrible.

Except on 06z GFS, which had that event at 2"-3"+.  That would run the ice in the Sandy and probably flood some people, but I'd guess that 1" is closer to what will happen.

Storm total 1.7" on just 0.10" LE as of 7 this morning, maybe a tiny bit more after that.

Are you saying you have a ways to go to match the March '69 depth max of 92" at the Bretton Woods COOP?? :)  Pinkham Notch had a 164" depth in FEB of '69 also.  Must have been quite a stretch--the next highest depth year is "just" 76" at Pinkham.  You will have your share of epic winters if you are planning to stay there for a while I think.

Farmington got up to 84" in late Feb. 1969, their tallest by 28" with 1971 and 1993 tied for 2nd, the latter climbing from "T" on 1/31 to 56" after the superstorm.  I've not found a greater depth for any co-op site in Maine, though I think EPO approached that figure in Feb. 2015.  (If a foothills locale is an odd place for the greatest pack, oceanfront is a whole lot more odd.)

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Except on 06z GFS, which had that event at 2"-3"+.  That would run the ice in the Sandy and probably flood some people, but I'd guess that 1" is closer to what will happen.

Storm total 1.7" on just 0.10" LE as of 7 this morning, maybe a tiny bit more after that.

Farmington got up to 84" in late Feb. 1969, their tallest by 28" with 1971 and 1993 tied for 2nd, the latter climbing from "T" on 1/31 to 56" after the superstorm.  I've not found a greater depth for any co-op site in Maine, though I think EPO approached that figure in Feb. 2015.  (If a foothills locale is an odd place for the greatest pack, oceanfront is a whole lot more odd.)

Maybe we can dodge a bullet next week. We seemed to have done that this week.

Archived