Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 4.9” Snow/0.33” L.E.

There’s not much going on out there right now besides a few flurries, but another 0.8” of snow fell subsequent to the 4:00 P.M. clearing.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.4

Snow Density: 8.8% H2O

Temperature: 28.4 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

6 hours ago, eyewall said:

Looks like BTV came in short of the non advisory overperformer

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

We saw that coming. 

I'd call it 4" in the CPV. And that is being nice. Pretty much your run of the mill warm-front snow. Makes things pretty and for an annoying evening commute. Unless a low tracks through NH, BTV ain't getting nuttin. 

Upslope looks to be building in in "lines" with gusty winds - not steady moderate winds. Radar showing the heaviest stuff up by Jay.  WRF showing some healthy totals across the spine today into tonight - .6+ qpf.  I dunno...with the pace of this system exiting the region, I don't know if the moisture is going to stick around long enough. 

We shall see. 

Looks like about 2.5" at 1,500ft overnight (~6" total there) and I'm guessing most of that fell from like 4-8pm though groomers have said it has at least been lightly snowing all night.  Maybe another tenth or two at home so 5.5-6" there.

Resurgence on radar now...was graupel but seemed to change to better flakes, though still seem rimed or something.

54 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

21". Oddly when I was sitting on couch last night it didn't seem like it snowing that hard, but damn, way more than I was expecting. Good solid echos hung around long enough to make a difference

Fantastic, Lava Rock.  Hopefully you have the day off and can enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

21". Oddly when I was sitting on couch last night it didn't seem like it snowing that hard, but damn, way more than I was expecting. Good solid echos hung around long enough to make a difference

It was funny how your were saying in the other thread last night '"this is the storm?" and then you check and had 9" in a 2.5 hours. Meh'ing your way to 3"hr rates over 3 hours..lol

But yea, congrats on the 20" storm--pretty epic. Seems like 2ft coastal storms are dime a dozen now.

It was funny how your were saying in the other thread last night '"this is the storm?" and then you check and had 9" in a 2.5 hours. Meh'ing your way to 3"hr rates over 3 hours..lol

But yea, congrats on the 20" storm--pretty epic. Seems like 2ft coastal storms are dime a dozen now.

Only thing that would have made it better was some lightening and thunder.

Looks like the signal is breaking up a little bit....though should fill in and lighten-up several times over the next few hours. Best signal looks to be between 5-10pm tonight as secondary wave of cold air moves in. Upward motion is in the 20 ubar/sec range through saturated environment with -10c or lower air. Might be less moisture but the stuff that falls should be pretty damn fluffy. 

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

lol, i really can be my own worst enemy.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This looks promising.  Its sitting here.  This is 1-2"/hr.

Dec_30b.gif

Both on the way up and on the way back to Williston/Essex, there was nothing going on west of Waterbury.  I guess it snowed here the entire time I was up there. Looks like an additional inch or so. 

Fun days for our Mainers!

Another 3" through today, just cleared 6.5" off our rink, sun is just starting to break through the clouds, steady snow all day here.  I imagine J got their 12", it was near white out this morning in the valley. Nice to have a winter wonderland to bring in the new year, we are using all the gear in garage now!

2 minutes ago, borderwx said:

Fun days for our Mainers!

Another 3" through today, just cleared 6.5" off our rink, sun is just starting to break through the clouds, steady snow all day here.  I imagine J got their 12", it was near white out this morning in the valley. Nice to have a winter wonderland to bring in the new year, we are using all the gear in garage now!

Eyeballing 1.5" or so at the house today but it was blowing around a lot...storm total of around 7".  I'll take it.  After last winter this is so amazing that it can actually snow.

Archived