• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

ALY put up a watch about and hour ago for 6-12, first guess is the low end of the guidance on the west slopes of the greens here.

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from Thursday morning through
Friday morning...

The National Weather Service in Albany has issued a Winter Storm
Watch... which is in effect from Thursday morning through Friday
morning.

* Locations... southern Vermont... Berkshires... northern Litchfield
  Hills... northern and central Taconics... and Washington County.

* Hazard types... heavy snow.

* Snow accumulations... potential for 6 to 12 inches.

* Timing... snow is expected to develop on Thursday and become
  heavy at times Thursday afternoon into Thursday night. Snow
  will taper off on Friday.

* Maximum snowfall rates... up to 1 inch per hour... mainly Thursday
  afternoon into Thursday night.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

ALY put up a watch about and hour ago for 6-12, first guess is the low end of the guidance on the west slopes of the greens here.

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from Thursday morning through
Friday morning...

The National Weather Service in Albany has issued a Winter Storm
Watch... which is in effect from Thursday morning through Friday
morning.

* Locations... southern Vermont... Berkshires... northern Litchfield
  Hills... northern and central Taconics... and Washington County.

* Hazard types... heavy snow.

* Snow accumulations... potential for 6 to 12 inches.

* Timing... snow is expected to develop on Thursday and become
  heavy at times Thursday afternoon into Thursday night. Snow
  will taper off on Friday.

* Maximum snowfall rates... up to 1 inch per hour... mainly Thursday
  afternoon into Thursday night.

BTV did the same earlier. If we were to hit the high end, I'm not sure I would remember how to handle it, it's been so long!

14 minutes ago, mreaves said:

BTV did the same earlier. If we were to hit the high end, I'm not sure I would remember how to handle it, it's been so long!

Your in a pretty good spot I think near MPV being further east. Think you could get double figures.  A lot tougher for BTV in this setup, a lot going against them.

27 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Your in a pretty good spot I think near MPV being further east. Think you could get double figures.  A lot tougher for BTV in this setup, a lot going against them.

Yeah I'd be very conservative in BTV...with no orographics (either frontside easterly flow or backside NW flow) to compensate for missing synoptic processes.  Even here I'm feeling more of the 3-6" variety than the 6-12".  But we'all see.  I truly think these things often develop further north/east than models show.  Even 30-40 miles further east is a problem for a lot of western New England.

I have no clue.  4 to 16 inches seems to be the range for here on the latest runs.  I will say that the low track would seem to favor a deformation band setting up between me an PFreak.  I could see his 3-6 being met in one hour if things play out like that.

49 minutes ago, klw said:

I have no clue.  4 to 16 inches seems to be the range for here on the latest runs.  I will say that the low track would seem to favor a deformation band setting up between me an PFreak.  I could see his 3-6 being met in one hour if things play out like that.

Hmmmm, I seem to be located between you and PF. I like your way of thinking!

The wraparound Friday seems to be a pretty solid setup from the looks of it.  While ya can never hang yer hat on them, these events pile up it up in the Whites and interior ME while we get advisory level snows, and then 12 hours later the higher terrain makes up the difference on NW flow- not a bullseye, but a respectable event. I can see how 4-8" of upslope could happen. 6-12" widespread synoptic snow with this thing- well, that's tough to call as always. These things have a way of shifting around several times in the models the last 24-36 hours. BTV goes all in with the snowfall maps, pulls back, then goes all in or pulls back more- it happens.  

Between tonight and Saturday night, however, it seems likely that the snow surfaces will improve markedly for the holiday crowds regardless- so that's good for them. Hopefully things work out for those of us who don't ski at the resorts, too.

29 minutes ago, ono said:

The wraparound Friday seems to be a pretty solid setup from the looks of it.  While ya can never hang yer hat on them, these events pile up it up in the Whites and interior ME while we get advisory level snows, and then 12 hours later the higher terrain makes up the difference on NW flow- not a bullseye, but a respectable event. I can see how 4-8" of upslope could happen. 6-12" widespread synoptic snow with this thing- well, that's tough to call as always. These things have a way of shifting around several times in the models the last 24-36 hours. BTV goes all in with the snowfall maps, pulls back, then goes all in or pulls back more- it happens.  

Between tonight and Saturday night, however, it seems likely that the snow surfaces will improve markedly for the holiday crowds regardless- so that's good for them. Hopefully things work out for those of us who don't ski at the resorts, too.

Great post, I could see that happening.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Great post, I could see that happening.

Just going by the pattern and how these things shake out-  10" above 2000' Sugarbush to Jay seems like a comfortable number through Sunday- a baseline for a reasonable optimist. Just would like some of the beef of a 12"+ synoptic snow that hits all elevations- because that's what's needed right now for many areas to really come online. That 4-8" of upslope will be above 2000', generally, while high qpf synoptic snow is needed down to the base area elevations to really open it up. Though it seems Stowe is doing particularly well, it's not the same everywhere at the 1300-1500' elevations where most trailheads begin.

I'm in Park City but have been checking on things - although bummed to be missing it, I'm rooting for as big as possible for as many as possible. In the meantime, hello to all NNE peeps. Beautiful mountains out here, and yet they remind me every day of how awesome New England is, too, from the Shores of the Cape to the Whites and the Greens. 

IMG_4601.JPG

9 hours ago, alex said:

I'm in Park City but have been checking on things - although bummed to be missing it, I'm rooting for as big as possible for as many as possible. In the meantime, hello to all NNE peeps. Beautiful mountains out here, and yet they remind me every day of how awesome New England is, too, from the Shores of the Cape to the Whites and the Greens. 

Ahhh I was wondering if you'd be home!  Bretton Woods looks like it could be in the jackpot but its also the northwest slope so I'm not sure how that plays in this type of situation.  Models seem to like 18" there at your place though.

I only had about a quarter inch of snow when I left the house this morning and we've got 1/4-1/2" here at the office.

A co-worker just came in and said they had like 1.5" overnight in Stowe Hollow and I was watching the radar last night...kept showing some weird band like immediately down-wind of Mansfield's "Chin".  There's been a narrow axis in town that's seen some pretty steady snow since about 3am, with 1-2" apparently just northeast of Stowe Village center and east of RT 100 up into the western slope of the Worcester Range (the general Stowe Hollow area).

Dec_28.gif

The Winter Storm Watch for Vermont has been converted to a Winter Storm Warning with this morning’s update, and the storm has been named Winter Storm Fortis.  The projected accumulations in this area seem generally on track with what was suggested yesterday, with a slight bump to 7-14” in the warning text.  Updated maps and text are below:

28DEC16A.jpg

28DEC16B.jpg

WWUS41 KBTV 280842

WSWBTV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

342 AM EST WED DEC 28 2016

VTZ003-004-006>008-010>012-016>019-282200-

/O.UPG.KBTV.WS.A.0004.161229T1500Z-161231T0000Z/

/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.W.0004.161229T1500Z-161230T1800Z/

ORLEANS-ESSEX-LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-ORANGE-

WESTERN RUTLAND-WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-

EASTERN ADDISON-EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF NEWPORT, ISLAND POND, JOHNSON, STOWE,

ST. JOHNSBURY, MONTPELIER, BRADFORD, RANDOLPH, RUTLAND,

SPRINGFIELD, WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, ENOSBURG FALLS, RICHFORD,

UNDERHILL, BRISTOL, RIPTON, EAST WALLINGFORD, AND KILLINGTON

342 AM EST WED DEC 28 2016

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THURSDAY TO 1 PM EST

FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM

THURSDAY TO 1 PM EST FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER

IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...CENTRAL AND EASTERN VERMONT...INCLUDING THE

WESTERN SLOPES AND NORTHEAST KINGDOM.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...7 TO 14 INCHES OF SNOW.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR...MAINLY THURSDAY

EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP ON THURSDAY AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES

ON THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING...BEFORE TAPERING OFF BY

FRIDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS WITH SNOW COVERED AND

SLIPPERY ROADS, ALONG WITH POOR VISIBILITIES ARE EXPECTED FOR

THE THURSDAY EVENING AND FRIDAY MORNING COMMUTES.

* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 5 TO 15 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST 10 TO 20 MPH

WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

* VISIBILITIES...BELOW 1 MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING.  SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW

ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN

EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA

FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN

EMERGENCY.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

$$

seems like they backed off the higher totals over the higher terrain a bit in the northern Greens. We'll see. The maps will continue to change through the next 24 hours or so as usual.  On another note, a nice band looks to be making its way over Mansfield/Smuggs area.

33 minutes ago, ono said:

seems like they backed off the higher totals over the higher terrain a bit in the northern Greens. We'll see. The maps will continue to change through the next 24 hours or so as usual.  On another note, a nice band looks to be making its way over Mansfield/Smuggs area.

Its dumping out right now.

Under 1/4sm visibility...can't see past the base lodge and can't see the other side of the transfer Gondola.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I only had about a quarter inch of snow when I left the house this morning and we've got 1/4-1/2" here at the office.

A co-worker just came in and said they had like 1.5" overnight in Stowe Hollow and I was watching the radar last night...kept showing some weird band like immediately down-wind of Mansfield's "Chin".  There's been a narrow axis in town that's seen some pretty steady snow since about 3am, with 1-2" apparently just northeast of Stowe Village center and east of RT 100 up into the western slope of the Worcester Range (the general Stowe Hollow area).

I found a tenth of an inch on the boards this morning, although there’s additional accumulation now with the latest influx of precipitation that ono mentioned.  You can see the moisture pushing into the area from the northwest:

28DEC16A.gif

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Enjoy it guys! I am in NC until New Years so I am taking one for the team. Of course I will have to endure the rainer next week when I return LOL.

same here.  not coincidentally, the POp goes up just as Im scheduled to take off from JFK.

am I totally off base, but it seems like this season, things have trended better from the 7-10 forecasts, whereas last season we seemed to be looking good up to d5 before going in the ****ter, week after week.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:
same here.  not coincidentally, the POp goes up just as Im scheduled to take off from JFK.

am I totally off base, but it seems like this season, things have trended better from the 7-10 forecasts, whereas last season we seemed to be looking good up to d5 before going in the ****ter, week after week.

Yeah it is hard because the pattern doesn't look great after (although we will see if there is hope after next week). This system could be the biggest of the season for many in the region but that of course isn't set in stone by any stretch.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

the moisture stream coming from the west looks pretty solid still. Been snowing at a decent clip according to the webcams, and on/off all day here in BTV. Looks like a bit of a surprise powder day. Some pretty good 30 dBz echoes almost overhead, will hit Mansfield/Bolton pretty soon. Not bad to get things back into shape.WUNIDS_map?station=CXX&brand=wui&num=6&d

13 minutes ago, ono said:

the moisture stream coming from the west looks pretty solid still. Been snowing at a decent clip according to the webcams, and on/off all day here in BTV. Looks like a bit of a surprise powder day. Some pretty good 30 dBz echoes almost overhead, will hit Mansfield/Bolton pretty soon. Not bad to get things back into shape.WUNIDS_map?station=CXX&brand=wui&num=6&d

We're gonna pull 3-4" today.

Snow stake was already north of 3" at noon... I can post an image of it after I go check it in a little bit.  Haven't cleaned it off yet today. 

Even in the base area its 2-3" in the parking lots.

Really nice surprise for the holiday crowds.  The corduroy was quite firm so this really helped.  Actually some powder turns to be had in spots.  Its great for this crowd too...they can't handle the dense big snowstorm snow but 2-4" of powder that makes everything look nice and skis nice.  Perfect.

Archived