SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some from today around the Bolton Mountain area south of Mansfield. If you want to gauge what is around the Jay Peak area, imagine 25% more snow (as of yesterday- it is that much more snow to be honest- sometimes the Jay marketing dept. is full of it, but they really do have a lot up that way right now. Didn't bother taking pics of Jay- snowing hard, everything was wet...

Top of run, around 3100'. around 40-48" (estimated) underfoot, with fresh snow making up the top 6-12" depending on aspect/location/dominant tree type.

pic2.jpg

This is a little bit down from the ridge. Total mid-winter coverage. Could just open up the turns full throttle.

pic4.jpg

skin track up- we set it- nobody appeared around here. Totally alone and wide open. Good times.  The snow is deep up high, while  the lower valleys show 1-8" of snow, the northern Greens really have it going on.

pic3.jpg

8 hours ago, Zelocita Weather said:

Thanks Pfreak....must be annoying, getting caught in these localized down waves every so often, little lite snow now at least

The upside is that its very pleasurable getting caught in the localized "up waves" every so often too. 

Such is life around the mountains.  Minor changes in inversions, wind directions, lift, moisture profiles affect it all.  Its rare for the flow to be so unblocked it ends up further downwind than us.

Sugarbush drifted in nicely last night again.

Radar showed very little snow anywhere outside far northern VT but Bush reporting 8" of new snow in their snow hole.

Overnight snow totals:

Jay Peak...8-10" (they actually were in some good radar echos all night)

Smuggs...Dusting

Stowe...1-1"

Bolton...1"

MRG...0-1"

Sugarbush...8"

Killington...0"

Bush.jpg

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

I found just a tenth of an inch of snow here on the boards this morning.  Presumably due to the very unblocked flow that PF mentioned, most of the moisture was carried downstream of this spine in this area.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Partly cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

I found just a tenth of an inch of snow here on the boards this morning.  Presumably due to the very unblocked flow that PF mentioned, most of the moisture was carried downstream of this spine in this area.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Partly cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

Yeah I haven't seen an unblocked flow like that in a long time.  Looking at COCORAHS there were 3-6" amounts about 15 miles east of the Spine.  This was like the exact opposite of one of those upslope events that hits BTV with super-blocked flow. 

I will say its snowing nicely here with huge dendrites at the mountain now.  More normal upslope has turned on.

WUNIDS_map.gif

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Sugarbush drifted in nicely last night again.

Radar showed very little snow anywhere outside far northern VT but Bush reporting 8" of new snow in their snow hole.

Overnight snow totals:

Jay Peak...8-10" (they actually were in some good radar echos all night)

Smuggs...Dusting

Stowe...1-1"

Bolton...1"

MRG...0-1"

Sugarbush...8"

Killington...0"

Bush.jpg

That snowcam must be generating an electromagnetic field pulling dendrites out of the atmosphere.  :o

11 minutes ago, Hitman said:

That snowcam must be generating an electromagnetic field pulling dendrites out of the atmosphere.  :o

I give them credit...they changed the report pretty quickly this morning it looks like.  The 8" first reported dropped to 1-2" very quickly.  That's a tough spot to be in as a snow reporter if you are given directions to follow blindly whatever that thing says....when you know it didn't snow 8-9". 

It is squalling hard here blowing with huge dendrites falling.  Visibility isn't overly low yet, I can still see the trees across the parking lot but its solid moderate snow.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Magical place.

What must they think every time they see "slight chance snow showers" in our forecast?

lol...it looked like that here for a bit today too.  The good ol' 30% chance of snow snowed that rips out a couple hours of 1/4-1/2sm dendrites.  

But BTV is definitely very in tune with the mountain weather...I'm sure much more thought goes into it here than up there.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

lol...it looked like that here for a bit today too.  The good ol' 30% chance of snow snowed that rips out a couple hours of 1/4-1/2sm dendrites.  

But BTV is definitely very in tune with the mountain weather...I'm sure much more thought goes into it here than up there.

It's my own personal crusade.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Magical place.

What must they think every time they see "slight chance snow showers" in our forecast?

Im sure you guys do a better job the most. They complain about TV forecasts alot. Flurries north of the notch turns into 6" for them.

Snowmobilers and locals know the magic of it.  

Just got home, looks like a half inch of fluff will do it for that event.  I haven't seen an Advisory bust that hard in a while...but that unblocked flow was crazy.  A co-worker got like 3-4" like 10 miles further east.  Pretty decent band of 3-6" snows did develop in the 10-20 mile east of the Spine region.  

2 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Im sure you guys do a better job the most. They complain about TV forecasts alot. Flurries north of the notch turns into 6" for them.

And they were the ones that told me all about John's webpage. Of course I had already discovered it by then.

2 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

The TV forecasters around here still don't fully get it either, though the NWS does.  They still play to the BTV proper area and will broadbrush "snow showers and flurries in the mountains" which can turn into 4-8" of fluff about 15-20 miles east of BTV.  

The NWS is so much better at it than our local TV stations...and we aren't far away at all.  

5 minutes ago, borderwx said:

Happy New Year NNE!  Pretty much perfect last night, pond hockey with light snow in S. Wheelock, fresh ski in 6" on Stannard this morning.  Just finished clean up here at home, 6" new here. Winter wonderland. 

Crazy snowfall gradient...nice event for you.  I love how varied our local weather is and it's almost all related to the mountains in some form or another.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The TV forecasters around here still don't fully get it either, though the NWS does.  They still play to the BTV proper area and will broadbrush "snow showers and flurries in the mountains" which can turn into 4-8" of fluff about 15-20 miles east of BTV.  

The NWS is so much better at it than our local TV stations...and we aren't far away at all.  

I mean that should be the goal of every NWS office. Provide the detail that other outlets can't.

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It's my own personal crusade.

Thank you for fighting for us! Gray can be really confusing for the NNH mountains. For instance, our P&C for Tuesday went from 33F with sleet to 36 and rain... Yet the AFD says "

Development of a secondary low over the mid Atlantic coast will complicate matters further as it rides northeast and intensifies. This should serve to hold the cold air in across the mountains and international border area where we may see largely a snow and sleet event."

That would indicate that either Bretton Woods is not in the mountains, or that once again they are talking about Maine and forgetting that NH is part of their area too. Or that one of the 2 is wrong. 

Can we start some sort of petition lol? 

Archived