Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Thanks for posting the pic.  Could've been lots worse, like wiping out a utility pole or two, or hitting the north (far) corner of the house rather than just scraping off the porch.  That's the side of Rt 4 that pedestrians would use, also - glad none were there at the wrong time.

Pretty sure that's not the first time a car/truck has missed that corner and ended up in their yard either. I heard the family's interview on the news tonight.

5 hours ago, eyewall said:

A burst of snow is rolling through here now and putting down a quick coating.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

3" new snow at the base of the ski resort overnight with grooming saying 5-6" of total fluff up high.  They got almost an inch in that squall at 4-5pm yesterday evening and then the rest between 12a-3a.  Said it was snowing so hard at one point they all pretty much stopped grooming and waited for it to lighten up.  Would love to see an overnight composite radar loop.

I see Smuggs also showing 3-5" overnight on the other side of the notch so same thing there.

Event totals: 2.2” Snow/0.15” L.E.

This is one of those periods where the source of the snowfall is fairly nondescript, but there was enough of a break yesterday subsequent to the mixed storm that I’m going to break out this activity out into its own event.  The best description I’ve got for the rounds of snow starting yesterday into today would be a cold front and shortwave troughs with some LES moisture.  One interesting period during this event was the graupel that fell yesterday evening with some fairly large spheres more than ½ cm in diameter.  The rounds of observations from this event are below:

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky: Graupel (2-5 mm)

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 25.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 24.0

Snow Density: 4.2% H2O

Temperature: 21.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

3" new snow at the base of the ski resort overnight with grooming saying 5-6" of total fluff up high.  They got almost an inch in that squall at 4-5pm yesterday evening and then the rest between 12a-3a.  Said it was snowing so hard at one point they all pretty much stopped grooming and waited for it to lighten up.  Would love to see an overnight composite radar loop.

I see Smuggs also showing 3-5" overnight on the other side of the notch so same thing there.

It appeared to be related to the bands off Lake Ontario and yeah I figured you might cash in there. 

12 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Pretty sure that's not the first time a car/truck has missed that corner and ended up in their yard either. I heard the family's interview on the news tonight.

Also reported (in the Daily Bulldog, online) was that several signs, including the 25 mph one, had been bent out of visibility recently, likely from the plowing of the 25" they got last Thurs-Fri.  That corner ought to have the same triple reflector-arrow signs one sees on Rt 27 in New Sharon, by the north end of Mile Hill.

On another topic - Caribou's 30" is quite respectable so early in the season.  Their tallest pack on record is 62" in 1977 and no other winter topped 51".  Somehow they got 198" of snowfall in 2007-08 without ever topping 36".  In contrast, my 142" that winter resulted in 36-48" pack from Feb 10 thru Mar 25, 45 consecutive days.  CAR's hilltop location must mean lots was blowing away. 

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A healthy 5", maybe 6".  Good little event.  We get more off these than we do the week-long tracking events with NWS headlines, lol.

IMG_4315.JPG

Very nice! Conditions should stay solid until we hit this bump in the road through mid month.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

It looks like a craptastic pattern will continue through mid month still. The GFS has another front ender/cutter next week followed by another at the end of the period (CO to the Lakes). 

With a casual glance it just sort of looks similar to the pattern we’ve been in for the past couple weeks, with some clippers, some backside/LES snows, and larger synoptic events that feature mixed precipitation.  The worst storms are definitely the massive synoptic ones that pass just to our west and drop an inch or two of rain with warm temperatures, so it’s been nice not to have any of those.  It certainly seems like a “below average” pattern with respect to snowfall, but east of the Greens it’s been working out OK.  West of the Greens and farther south seem to have a hard time getting much out of this type of setup though.

A cold and dry pattern would definitely be better for snowpack preservation and consistent snow surfaces, but I’m much happier to be in a warmer, more active pattern – especially in January.  I’m not really looking forward to potentially being out on the mountain on Sunday with highs in the single digits F and probably plenty of wind.

33 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

With a casual glance it just sort of looks similar to the pattern we’ve been in for the past couple weeks, with some clippers, some backside/LES snows, and larger synoptic events that feature mixed precipitation.  The worst storms are definitely the massive synoptic ones that pass just to our west and drop an inch or two of rain with warm temperatures, so it’s been nice not to have any of those.  It certainly seems like a “below average” pattern with respect to snowfall, but east of the Greens it’s been working out OK.  West of the Greens and farther south seem to have a hard time getting much out of this type of setup though.

A cold and dry pattern would definitely be better for snowpack preservation and consistent snow surfaces, but I’m much happier to be in a warmer, more active pattern – especially in January.  I’m not really looking forward to potentially being out on the mountain on Sunday with highs in the single digits F and probably plenty of wind.

Very true. It is two different worlds. It may very well be serviceable for you guys but here it brings back horrible memories of last winter as cross the 700 day threshold since a warning event here. We depend on synoptic events here primarily while powder cashes in on every mesoscale or microscale feature that rolls through. While I don't think we will end up with another sub 40 inch winter here, I am not sure if we will make it to the seasonal norm when all said and done. There is still a lot of winter left, but the negative departure for BTV will surely climb over the next 2 weeks at least.

Event totals: 2.9” Snow/0.16” L.E.

There was certainly a break in the action yesterday for our location, but the BTV NWS isn’t really breaking this latest snow out from the general series of shortwave troughs and LES that have been affecting the area since Wed/Thurs, so I’m keeping it as part of that event.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 70.0

Snow Density: 1.4% H2O

Temperature: 21.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It did it again last night. 
At least another 3-5" overnight.

Very localized.

Nice PF – that’s probably more than most folks will see in the storm that’s got its own thread at the moment.  I guess it’s just more bread and butter that nobody would ever hear about aside from your posts.  Anyway, the pattern looks really active, with several clipper-like and mixed precipitation systems in the pipe, there could be more of these to come.  I know the snowpack and ski surface quality can’t stay quite as pristine with the ups and downs of this type of pattern, but I sure like it vs. sitting in frigid arctic air with no storms, which can definitely happen in January up here.

5 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Nice PF – that’s probably more than most folks will see in the storm that’s got its own thread at the moment.  I guess it’s just more bread and butter that nobody would ever hear about aside from your posts.  Anyway, the pattern looks really active, with several clipper-like and mixed precipitation systems in the pipe, there could be more of these to come.  I know the snowpack and ski surface quality can’t stay quite as pristine with the ups and downs of this type of pattern, but I sure like it vs. sitting in frigid arctic air with no storms, which can definitely happen in January up here.

It's better than 50° and rainy too.

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

1.5" last night...high ratio stuff at 25-1 (.06LE)

Saw Underhill reported the rare 150-1 ratios with 1.5" on .01" LE :lol:

/6/2017   6:00 AM   VT-CH-11   Underhill 5.1 NNE  0.01 1.5 2.0 VT Chittenden

IIRC, one those observers in that area is an NWS employee.

36 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Only 1-2 inches of,snowcover between Jericho and Jeffersonville. Sometimes it is less than that with just a fresh coating from last night.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

the coverage up that way is insanely low. Waterville as well. The west side of the Spine and Rt 15 area are essentially completely devoid of snow. Combination of warm air penetrating up the CPV and downsloping/shadowing during synoptic events. Unknowing toursists driving to Smuggs from any direction may be panicking 10 miles from the resort just look out the car window.

Archived