joxey
November 2016 General Discussion

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did this break a monthly record?

RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH 
502 PM EDT TUE NOV 01 2016
 ...RECORD HIGH MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE TIED TODAY AT COLUMBUS... THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT 
THE JOHN GLENN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ON NOVEMBER 01 2016 WAS 80 DEGREES. THIS TIES THE
 PREVIOUS RECORD HIGH MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 80 DEGREES SET IN 1950. 

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

Did this break a monthly record?

RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH 
502 PM EDT TUE NOV 01 2016
 ...RECORD HIGH MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE TIED TODAY AT COLUMBUS... THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT 
THE JOHN GLENN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ON NOVEMBER 01 2016 WAS 80 DEGREES. THIS TIES THE
 PREVIOUS RECORD HIGH MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 80 DEGREES SET IN 1950. 

That tied the monthly record.

Today will be the latest sun rise of 2016. And sitting here this morning with the clear skies I have to say this is the best fall color I have ever seen this late in the fall.  And while some trees are bare there are still many trees that a lot of leaves on them. There are several trees on my daily walk that do not really change color in the fall but just drop their leaves when it gets cold enough will those trees still are mostly green (with some yellow and brown tossed in) there are many elm and oak trees in the woods here and both have a lot of leaves still on them while the maples are split but the maples have great color as of yet. Now the ash trees are either dead or do not have leaves on them (note some of the ash trees are half dead) The coldest I have recorded this fall so far has been (and it was for less than one hour) is 30° and the airport GRR as yet gotten to 32° with the coldest there being 33°

The low at DTW so far this Fall is 34F on Oct 28th. Most places had a light freeze that day, including DET with a low of 32F. Its mind-boggling to think that the airport in suburbia did not freeze but the one in the city did :lol:, but for records purposes this means Detroit officially hasnt had a freeze yet.

Top 10 latest first freezes for Detroit

11-15-1915 (30F)

11-15-1946 (31F)

11-14-1918 (32F)

11-13-1916 (31F)

11-11-1897 (32F)

11-11-1932 (27F)

11-10-1956 (26F)

11-08-1900 (27F)

11-08-2004 (31F)

11-08-1985 (29F)

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

The low at DTW so far this Fall is 34F on Oct 28th. Most places had a light freeze that day, including DET with a low of 32F. Its mind-boggling to think that the airport in suburbia did not freeze but the one in the city did :lol:, but for records purposes this means Detroit officially hasnt had a freeze yet.

DET is in an abandoned part of Detroit, so I wonder if the urban heat island effect isn't prominent there as a result? 

29 minutes ago, OntarioSnowLover said:

DET is in an abandoned part of Detroit, so I wonder if the urban heat island effect isn't prominent there as a result? 

That would be part of it, plus DTW is further south than DET so that is another thing that seems to be overlooked.

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

70 degrees, full sun, and zero wind.  Spectacular day.  A lot of peeps out burning leaves today.  Trees are starting to bare up pretty quickly now.  

EDIT:  Made a little time lapse loop of the infamous Dec 87 blizzard that bombed 20mb in 12hrs.  Just an unbelievable storm system.

Thanks for this post! One of my all-time fave storms. Even though Dec 15th 2007 gave me dbl digits and Dec 15th 20 yrs earlier didn't, I'd still take a repeat of this storm first. Ofc, those days before wx boards and the web, I don't even know if it was forecasted in SMI to do much tbh? With the way it exploded, I doubt it. Looking at your vid tells me the worst across my area (SEMI) was prolly about 2am to 6am, right when I was (ofc) catching zzz's. Guessing I stepped out for work about 7am and whoa! the winds were ripping due easterly like I've never seen before or since. Snow had turned to a light mix by then to be followed by T-showers, then another 2-4" on the backside as it filled over NMI.  I sure miss the dynamic storms that seemed more common back then. NW flow winters have been great for stacking snow on snow, but true bombs have been missed tbh.

Archived