Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2016 General Discussion

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro ensembles would potentially be something to watch maybe for the Apps and eastern Lakes/Ohio Valley day 10-11 with a mean negatively tilted trough right over the heart of the sub forum...maybe could thread the needle somewhere. Somewhat more interesting times ahead hopefully. 

EDIT: On second look you'd probably have to be pretty far north for something in that timeframe to pan out. Not much cold in place ahead of or near the trough until the potential storm wraps up and starts moving away.

This is pretty much the opposite of a fantasy snowstorm- a reality heat wave, when it should be getting colder. Northern Ontario's 850mb temp difference from normal 26C , is equal to 46.8F above normal. Ontario's surface temperatures are as much as 30F above average.

Eo9JujT.jpg

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

This is pretty much the opposite of a fantasy snowstorm- a reality heat wave, when it should be getting colder. Northern Ontario's 850mb temp difference from normal 26C , is equal to 46.8F above normal. Ontario's surface temperatures are as much as 30F above average.

Eo9JujT.jpg

Sure is quite impressive. Not all of that will get transferred to the surface, but they will certainly have well above average temps.

Another great November day here in Grand Rapids.  We had a sunny (after the fog burned off) warm,69° officially,70° here at my house. (average high is 52°) It’s not very often we get warm sunny days in west Michigan in November.  I also cut the lawn (and mulched the leaves) I hope it is the last time I have to cut the grass this year. And in the last two days many more trees have now dropped their leaves but there are still a good amount of leaves on some of the trees still. In my yard I have two trees that have most of the leaves still on them and one of those trees will drop all of its leaves once we get a hard freeze

13 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

68 yesterday and 60's again today... First week of November running 11.3 degrees above the norm!  Couldn't have asked for a better Fall, but I'm ready for snow.  I've been watching lake temps and I haven't seen Superior this primed to dump in a long time. 

avgtemps-s_1992-2015.gif

Could be a historic year for you up there, as the cold air will eventually arrive!

22 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:
22 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:

Could be a historic year for you up there, as the cold air will eventually arrive!

Normal for my area is around 240". IMBY there's been a recent 300" winter.  "Historic" would need to north of 350" I'm guessing. 

1213snow.jpg

28 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

68 yesterday and 60's again today... First week of November running 11.3 degrees above the norm!  Couldn't have asked for a better Fall, but I'm ready for snow.  I've been watching lake temps and I haven't seen Superior this primed to dump in a long time. 

avgtemps-s_1992-2015.gif

Adding to the warmth could be the lack of a big blow to churn up the lake and bring the colder waters of the deep to the surface.  Looks like to me the LES machine is locked and loaded....  All that's needed is a true arctic outbreak.

21 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Normal for my area is around 240". IMBY there's been a recent 300" winter.  "Historic" would need to north of 350" I'm guessing. 

1213snow.jpg

I agree the lakes are very warm, but that doesn't always equate to large amounts of lake effect.  I am cautiously optimistic but need the weather pattern change to open the door. The last couple years have been fairly anemic for LES.  We are do for some well above average snow.

Today is my Birthday!!!!! If Grand Rapids reaches the forecasted high of 68° today would be the warmest it has gotten on my birthday in my life time. (note the current record is 66°) the coldest high was 27° and the coldest low is 14° the most snow that fell is 6” and the most on the ground was 11” the last time there was snow reported on the ground was in 1991. the records are for today November 7th in my lifetime.  Today I will take it easy (as I always do) and will “officially” have a celebration next weekend up in the Bay City area.

52 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think it's going to be a while before we see sustained cold, which is fine.  It's still November folks.

Every year the same people fall for the early shots of cold only to have the rug pulled out. You'd think by now they'd realize it isn't until December before things really settle in, and hell lately even that's a gamble.

Archived