joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2016 Pattern Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the reason the NYC sanitation dept keeps a small crew on overnights during the winter months. They are usually out doing street corner waste basket trash collecting/street sweeping unless a "surprise" snow/ice situation develops, then they go out with salt spreaders. At least they can cover the major roads and highways until additional workers come in. Don't think that will be the case tonight though.

3 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

This is the reason the NYC sanitation dept keeps a small crew on overnights during the winter months. They are usually out doing street corner waste basket trash collecting/street sweeping unless a "surprise" snow/ice situation develops, then they go out with salt spreaders. At least they can cover the major roads and highways until additional workers come in. Don't think that will be the case tonight though.

I don't think they need salt spreaders dude...I'm like 25 miles north of NYC with 300' elevation and it's mostly rain here. I'd be lucky to get a light coating on the grass. It was 60-65 today so streets will remain mostly wet, esp the major highways you mention.

Nice start to winter but pretty much going as modeled...flakes for everyone in NYC with high winds, 1-3" Hudson Valley, 2-4" higher elevations twds Poconos/Catskills. It's a nice event but let's not exaggerate and say we need plows in NYC.

1 minute ago, nzucker said:

I don't think they need salt spreaders dude...I'm like 25 miles north of NYC with 300' elevation and it's mostly rain here. I'd be lucky to get a light coating on the grass. It was 60-65 today so streets will remain mostly wet, esp the major highways you mention.

Nice start to winter but pretty much going as modeled...flakes for everyone in NYC with high winds, 1-3" Hudson Valley, 2-4" higher elevations twds Poconos/Catskills. It's a nice event but let's not exaggerate and say we need plows in NYC.

I think you will see a easy coating on the grass

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Rain with some sleet pellets mixing in here in LB. I guess it's not a surprise that we will be very tough to change over with the warm waters. Hopefully we just get a short period of snow at the end. 

Just went outside and it's a very strange misty rain. Definitely snowing aloft. 

5 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Umm if you read the last line of my post it said "don't think that will be the case tonight" I was just bringing up the fact they have an overnight crew IN CASE they need them during the winter months....dude ;) 

Also, this is not your run of the mill snow to the north rain to the south type of event. These types of events have the changeover working from SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST. So you'll probably change to snow AFTER areas south and west of you go to snow.

15 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

I'm up in Sloatsburg, ny in northwest Rockland County right now, all rain and 38 degrees

30 minutes ago, NortheastPAWx said:

Today's weather summary with my friend in NJ...

Sunny and warm in Lebanon. Near 70.

Head to Piscataway for PSU-Rutgers. Temp falls into 50s with stiff wind.

Bouts of rain. Sleet mixes in 3Q. 

We leave at the end. Get off shuttle at the RAC to now +SN.

Was pretty wild.  Tailgates were gorgeous with temps in the low/mid 60s in Piscataway during the afternoon and featuring a beautiful sunset.  Remained dry and mild until about 7-8 p, when the winds kicked up and temps dropped through the 50s.  Had a few spritzes in the 2Q and then boom!  That front came through with a vengeance, with temps dropping quickly into the 30s with moderate rain starting aroung 10:15 pm, quickly turning to sleet.  We stuck around til near the end and by then it was a mix of snow and sleet.  At home now and it's 33F and we have a nice coating of snow on the ground and cartops with some snow still falling.  Could get 1/2" out of this.  Forecast for the amount of cold air/dynamic cooling with the front was way off.  Game sucked for RU fans, lol.  

19 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

Umm if you read the last line of my post it said "don't think that will be the case tonight" I was just bringing up the fact they have an overnight crew IN CASE they need them during the winter months....dude ;) 

Also, this is not your run of the mill snow to the north rain to the south type of event. These types of events have the changeover working from SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST. So you'll probably change to snow AFTER areas south and west of you go to snow.

Yes I understand how cold fronts and negatively tilted troughs work with the SW-NE gradient. It's definitely true that parts of NJ have cooled down A BIT more quickly than expected and may receive a coating. But NYC is due south of me, not to the west.

And saying "this storm is the reason we need an emergency snow plow/salting team" is not really true because the situation is pretty well modeled and is going exactly as expected...ie it's mostly rain with some light mixing.

I'm not trying to argue a lot but weenies get a little crazy sometimes. I don't want people to suddenly think NYC is getting plowable snow tonight as a surprise situation. 

Anyway still sleet/rain mix here. Transition has slowed.

Archived